• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, although every team has idiots on Twitter. This guy was a single fan- it's unfair from Flibbertyjibber to use that fountain stuff as evidence for a cliche against a large group of people. I can't allow this **** to be associated with me.
Paving slabs before the final in Istanbul. Fans climbing fences to get into that match or stealing tickets from their own fans.

Don't even need to mention Heysel which they have never accepted responsibility for.

What about the trouble they caused in the final against Sevilla a few years ago?

Or just smashing the Man City bus up last season?

Need I go on?

andmark

International Captain
Paving slabs before the final in Istanbul. Fans climbing fences to get into that match or stealing tickets from their own fans.

Don't even need to mention Heysel which they have never accepted responsibility for.

What about the trouble they caused in the final against Sevilla a few years ago?

Or just smashing the Man City bus up last season?

Need I go on?
I won't defend any of those actions, and rather condemn all of them but you are using the word "they" very liberally. Does "they" include me, my family and virtually everyone I know who were never involved in any of those things? I'd word it more along the lines of "there's a problem of violence amongst sections of Liverpool fans" (a statement I won't disagree with) rather than "ashamed of nothing, offended by everything."

flibbertyjibber

I won't defend any of those actions, and rather condemn all of them but you are using the word "they" very liberally. Does "they" include me, my family and virtually everyone I know who were never involved in any of those things? I'd word it more along the lines of "there's a problem of violence amongst sections of Liverpool fans" (a statement I won't disagree with) rather than "ashamed of nothing, offended by everything."
No I stand by the wording. If you don't like it, tough.

Come on Barcelona.

cpr

International Coach
Isn't that what we do with all football fans, or indeed any walk of life.

I don't remember any news report starting 'Now, we all know not all muslims are bad, but one or two naughty boys have decided to blow up a bus. Don't worry, we know its not you personally'

And I don't think it's a 'stupid cliche' when he's given specific examples you didn't disagree with.

andmark

International Captain
Isn't that what we do with all football fans, or indeed any walk of life.

I don't remember any news report starting 'Now, we all know not all muslims are bad, but one or two naughty boys have decided to blow up a bus. Don't worry, we know its not you personally'

And I don't think it's a 'stupid cliche' when he's given specific examples you didn't disagree with.
Regarding the Muslim example, there have been huge efforts to distance average Muslims from extremists who blow up busses. The fact that the concept of Islamophobia is a thing demonstrates this. Hell, TV news channels often refer to ISIS as "The group which refers to itself as The Islamic State". The phrase FJ has been using makes no similar attempt to distinguish the fans who trashed the Man City bus to those who think that incident was stupid and dangerous. That doesn't follow how responsible news outlets treat the issue of average Muslims and extremists.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
but football club fans aren't a protected class in the same way as religion, identity, race or ***uality, and there are good reasons for this

andmark

International Captain
but football club fans aren't a protected class in the same way as religion, identity, race or ***uality, and there are good reasons for this
But it still doesn't prevent it being offensive. Add in how stereotypes of Liverpool feed into this as a whole and it gets even more offensive

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is Wijnaldum playing as a striker or have I just turned on and he happens to be pressing very far forward?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sure, however in fairness it is a fanbase that was slandered for nigh on quarter of a century in the face of a great tragedy, which in itself has brought on greater levels of collective defensiveness to sweeping remarks within the fanbase.

Heysel aside the deeds flibberty listed are not dissimilar to how a small number of fans of many other clubs behave.

They do have some bottom feeders, it doesn’t make it right to paint them all with one brush if that’s the route we are going down.

I mean I agree with cpr - we all do it about all clubs - ‘Millwall fans are absolute ****s’ etc. But grouping them all in with each of those acts listed is a step further and it’s not hard to see why andmark is irked by it.

andmark

International Captain
That's the tie I expect. Oh well, it was fun, which is ultimately the point of following football for me.

vcs

Unbelievable passage of play. How did Liverpool not score there..

And Messi's free-kick - it feels like they're virtually penalties for him these days.

Uppercut

Wtf were Liverpool doing at the end. Throwing everyone forward just before half-time. Roma beat them 3-0 last year.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As much as I'd love Ajax to win the Champions League, Messi seems like he's on a one man mission to win it.

andmark

International Captain
My marking out for Cruyff will reach new heights if Ajax get to the final. Total Football would well and truly be in fashion if it isn't already.

Uppercut

They were really lucky that Dembele messed up twice at the end there.
Klopp was sending Alisson up for the corner. Salah sent him back otherwise even Dembele couldn’t have missed.

Pique’s been so good this season.