• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** 2018 Commonwealth Games

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Archaic maybe, but I still like 'em. Looking forward to the next 10 days or so, in a much better time zone than Glasgow.

Great to see legendary para swimmer Sophie Pascoe named as NZ's flagbearer for the opening ceremony.

Burgey

Been a massive build up here in the host country, as evidenced by a Kiwi making this thread on the day the Games started.

I note with interest the Indian team has apparently been caught with some used syringes in their part of the village, according to one of their own newspapers.

Getting sick of the Hypocrisy of the Naan But Fair Bunch tbh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Been a massive build up here in the host country, as evidenced by a Kiwi making this thread on the day the Games started.

I note with interest the Indian team has apparently been caught with some used syringes in their part of the village, according to one of their own newspapers.

Getting sick of the Hypocrisy of the Naan But Fair Bunch tbh.
:laugh:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roads are empty and lots of cheap hotel rooms available so can only assume that attendance is not what they hoped for

_Ed_

Crowds are looking pretty good at the events themselves.

Top start by NZ's cycling team - through to three gold-medal races tonight.

_Ed_

Aus way too good in the first of those.

EDIT: ...and the second. ****. How many times is this gonna happen?

Last edited:

Burgey

Strange coincidence that the Pommie cyclists seem to have collectively slowed down.

_Ed_

Bloody great start by Tom Walsh in the shotput - smashed the Commonwealth Games record by 84cm with his first throw.

At the other end of the spectrum, NZ's netball team lost to Malawi. I knew they were struggling this year, but ****.

_Ed_

Weightlifting on now.

Stumbled across this outstanding image from the 1980 Olympics.

Burgey

Good to see Australia atop the medals in the big high school sports carnival. Cate Campbell getting it done at anything other than an Olympics is hardly a surprise either. The Sam Stosur of swimming.

SeamUp

International Coach
One of the all time great days for SA sport it's got to be said.

Le Clos wins his 3rd gold at these games to go with silver . Breaks CW games record for the 100 Fly. Won multiple golds in 3 CW games in a row.

Van den Bergh wins his first gold at these games but 3rd in a row in 50m breastroke beating WR holder Adam Peaty. Breaks CW games record.

Tatjana Schoenmaker wins her 2nd gold of the games breaking the African record in both

Then Akani Simbine and Henricho Bruintjies win gold and silver in 100m track beating Yohan Blake.

Never mind some bowls, para swimming medals on the day too.

Last edited:

_Ed_

One of the all time great days for SA sport it's got to be said.

Le Clos wins his 3rd gold at these games to go with silver . Breaks CW games record for the 100 Fly. Won multiple golds in 3 CW games in a row.

Van den Bergh wins his first gold at these games but 3rd in a row in 50m breastroke beating WR holder Adam Peaty. Breaks CW games record.

Tatjana Schoenmaker wins her 2nd gold of the games breaking the African record in both

Then Akani Simbine and Henricho Bruintjies win gold and silver in 100m track beating Yohan Blake.

Never mind some bowls, para swimming medals on the day too.
Great stuff. I was disappointed not to see van Niekerk at these Games, but the rest of his team has stepped up!

Yesterday was a pretty special day for NZ too - golds in squash, swimming (Pascoe, of course), shot put and weightlifting. Plus a silver in javelin, where a new WR wasn't quite enough!

It could easily have been another gold in weightlifting, but Laurel Hubbard had to withdraw with injury while in the gold medal position.

I've seen words like 'arrogant', 'greedy' and 'selfish' thrown her way because she went for a Commonwealth Games record weight even though she was already such a long way in front, but I don't think that's fair. I reckon the controversy over her participation in the event got to her, to the point where she felt she had to do something extraordinary to prove her worth.

But even though I understand her thinking, I wish one of the support staff had managed to change her mind - at least until she'd completed a lift in each discipline and secured that gold. Maybe she could have tried something special after that.

It's sad that we didn't get to see her on top of the podium. It would have been a cool moment for NZ sport, and absolutely huge for future generations of trans athletes.

SeamUp

International Coach
Great stuff. I was disappointed not to see van Niekerk at these Games, but the rest of his team has stepped up!

Yesterday was a pretty special day for NZ too - golds in squash, swimming (Pascoe, of course), shot put and weightlifting. Plus a silver in javelin, where a new WR wasn't quite enough!

It could easily have been another gold in weightlifting, but Laurel Hubbard had to withdraw with injury while in the gold medal position.

I've seen words like 'arrogant', 'greedy' and 'selfish' thrown her way because she went for a Commonwealth Games record weight even though she was already such a long way in front, but I don't think that's fair. I reckon the controversy over her participation in the event got to her, to the point where she felt she had to do something extraordinary to prove her worth.

But even though I understand her thinking, I wish one of the support staff had managed to change her mind - at least until she'd completed a lift in each discipline and secured that gold. Maybe she could have tried something special after that.

It's sad that we didn't get to see her on top of the podium. It would have been a cool moment for NZ sport, and absolutely huge for future generations of trans athletes.
I saw this on bbc news a short while ago. Looked painful.

Seems a bit absurd how she was allowed to do it. I'm sure there were coaches/mentors for Laurel ? How can she go for the record without winning in the first place ?

So if Laurel is trans gender I take it he/she was a man and competing with women ?

We have a similar once controversial case with Caster Semenya who is olympic champion and she recently married a woman. Her voice is basically deep like a man.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/commonw...rel-hubbard-injured-out-of-commonwealth-games

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Bit pathetic in a major championships that the 1500m runners are delayed at the start for well over 5 minutes as there is a technical fault. Backwards country who can't cope with hosting a major event. Notice the huge amount of empty seats too which is shocking.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I saw this on bbc news a short while ago. Looked painful.

Seems a bit absurd how she was allowed to do it. I'm sure there were coaches/mentors for Laurel ? How can she go for the record without winning in the first place ?

So if Laurel is trans gender I take it he/she was a man and competing with women ?

We have a similar once controversial case with Caster Semenya who is olympic champion and she recently married a woman. Her voice is basically deep like a man.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/commonw...rel-hubbard-injured-out-of-commonwealth-games
Considering this was brought up....

theconversation_a-***ist-policy-may-end-the-career-of-one-of-the-commonwealths-greatest-female-runners