• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Formula 1

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The new Formula 1 season is about to start at Albert Park in Melbourne tommorow. Qualifying was today, defending champion Lewis Hamilton got pole in his Mercedes, the Ferrari's of Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastien Vettel are second and third on the grid.

On a cricket related note, Adam Gilchrist has been doing a fair bit of work for Channel 10 over the course of the race weekend.

Flem274*

123/5
Hartley needs to get his **** together. He's being outdriven by mediocre sons of and blokes whose dads paid for them to be there. You're the reigning WEC and Le Mans champion man, you're better than this.

Thoroughly enjoying Ricciardo raining on the parade of rabid dutch fanboys this season, though a lot of it is Verstappen's own fault for driving like an idiot.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Forgot I even created this thread...

Anyway, Austria coming up, this is an important race for Ricciardo. Was much better than the erratic Max Verstappen in the first part of the season, but since his Monaco victory things have changed. Max has definitely raised his game the last couple of races. With his 2019 contract status still up in the air, what better time for Ricciardo to remind the field of his quality. It is effectively a home race for Red Bull the team as well.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It cannot be understated how ****ing awesome a circuit Silverstone is. Is unquestionably the best one of the Calendar imo.

Flem274*

123/5
Each to their own. Not even my favourite UK track personally. Brands Hatch is their best imo, especially the short layout.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite like Silverstone, actually prefer the current layout to the pre-2010 one to be honest. Would have to say Spa is the best current F1 circuit though.

cpr

International Coach
Spa is the best. Baku is the best track of the 21st century layouts. Honourable mention to Interlagos

Midwinter

State Captain
Riccardio to Renault next year !

A challenge for him but you never know if you don't give it a go.

Renault aren't in it to run around in the midfield.

Red Bull have made Max their future so it is a good time to leave.

Flem274*

123/5
Red Bull are such wannabe edge lords. Glad Ricciardo left. He was on a hiding to nothing competing against yet another chosen one European son of.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It's certainly a gamble going to Renault, but I can understand the logic behind it. It is clear that some within Red Bull (especially that grub Helmut Marko) are throwing 100% of their weight behind Max, if Ricciardo wanted to be his team's main man he had to move down the grid in order to do so. The hope is that Renault, who do have a decent factory budget behind them, are going to be able to make a major step up over the next couple of seasons

Personally I would have loved to see him in a Ferrari myself, but from what I have seen Vettel pretty much vetoed that

cpr

International Coach
There's no way Vettel was letting him in, nor would Ferrari go for 2 competitive drivers, even promoting Leclerc is a bold move for them. Kimi has been the perfect no 2 driver really.

Renault are in the best shape to make the next jump forwards, Haas and Force India aren't awful teams, but the former is still very new and making mistakes, and the latters financial issues will have affected development for next year. McLaren claiming they nearly signed him is the biggest joke of the year (but cheers for confirming Alonso is off guys, we know you can't afford both). Sauber should come back strong now they are basically Ferrari B, but then thats not what Ricc wants. Sadly Williams are really out of the loop.
The steps forward Renault have made in 2 years are pretty impressive, and they've a championship winning pedigree to prove they take the sport seriously. Also in Hulkenberg he's got a really talented teammate to push him to his limits.

Hopefully RB give Sainz the seat, really likeable guy (pretty much everyone in the paddock hates Gasly because he's arrogant even by Frenchman standards), and a great driver too.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree that Kimi will stay put, his best days are clearly behind him but he is still doing a more than serviceable job as Ferrari #2 driver

I like Carlos Sainz, but to be completely honest I can't see him beating Max over the course of a season. Thinking back to 2015 when they both made their debut for Toro Rosso, Sainz looked on paper the stronger driver (stronger junior record, had been in the Red Bull young driver setup for a fair while, had done a decent amount of F1 test miles) but that more often than not that wasn't the case. Dead right about personality though, Sainz seems cool where as Gasly can come across as a bit of a bellend on occcasion.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Kimi is the man. It consistently cracks me up that despite all his considerable efforts going to help Vettel, sheer misfortune often sees Kimi end up on the podium instead. WAG.

Flem274*

123/5
hopefully gasly goes to red bull, ticktum to torro rosso so i can truly hate the fizzy drink team

will also be nice to watch the chosen one, gasly and he who passes under safety car constantly bin their cars in front of the fraud helmut marko

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Gasly confirmed at Red Bull, Sainz to McLaren, Fernando Alonso retiring. All the rumours are Fernando will go to the states to race full time in IndyCar, hope it does happen as I would be interested to see how he goes.

cpr

International Coach
He's already got a test run lined up for next month (I think). Pretty much guaranteed he's off to America, he's desperate for the triple crown.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Leclerc to replace Raikkonen at Ferrari. But more surprisingly Kimi is going to stay on in F1 take Leclerc's Sauber seat. Interesting how things come full circle, Raikkonen started out as a fast yet inexperienced driver at Sauber way back in 2001