• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Formula 1

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we'll retain top level talent, just not to the length of time we're used to. Jamie Whincup skipped straight from Formula Ford dominance to Supercars. He can't have had the sponsorship behind him to go for overseas junior formulas. Based on his results against guys who have since gone overseas to great success, or his demolition of guys who have come from overseas with junior formula success, Whincup was the real deal in terms of being a world level talent and it's a shame we only know this now.

If you're one of the young blokes at the front of the Supercars field right now, life is looking good. America doesn't hyperfocus on the results of children as much as Europe.

I don't think Waters will ever get a championship. He's not quite quick enough and puts himself in **** teams.
Nah I think Waters will sneak one - just like my all time favourite driver did (Frosty). I think he’s definitely a top 5 driver rn (alongside SVG, Mostert, Kostecki and Brown). Unfortunately Tickford have always been fast, near the pointy end, but rarely able to sustain at the very very top level for long.

Flem274*

123/5
That Red Bull is handling like an absolute dog, which is interesting because the Alpha Tauri looks pretty solid for both of their drivers (when Tsunoda isn't being blocked by big dog in his drift car).
Nah I think Waters will sneak one - just like my all time favourite driver did (Frosty). I think he’s definitely a top 5 driver rn (alongside SVG, Mostert, Kostecki and Brown). Unfortunately Tickford have always been fast, near the pointy end, but rarely able to sustain at the very very top level for long.
Tickford definitely the Andretti Autosport of Supercars - fast, incompetent and just in case they're in a decent position - unlucky.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Might actually watch this GP with max starting at 11th.
That Red Bull is handling like an absolute dog, which is interesting because the Alpha Tauri looks pretty solid for both of their drivers (when Tsunoda isn't being blocked by big dog in his drift car).

Tickford definitely the Andretti Autosport of Supercars - fast, incompetent and just in case they're in a decent position - unlucky.
Only just got home from work but **** yeah I’m excited for this one. First time all year Red Bull looks like it won’t win and first time in like 8-9 races that we don’t know Max will destroy.

Could be either Ferrari, either Merc, Norris and I’ll never count out Alonso. rip Piastri.

How poetic was it that it was Lawson of all people who knocked Max out in Q2.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Decent race in the end. Started off slow, but things really picked up a bit. Glad to see Sainz win, quite liked his old man wayyyyyyyyyy back in the day towards the end of his WRC career.

Great call this I reckon. They have their days for sure, but inconsistency, the occasional tendency to shoot themselves in the foot, and sometimes just sheer bad luck (Waters getting his rear wing knocked off by an errant wheel yesterday fits in the latter category) continue to hamper them

RHR's 2012 season the rough equivalent of Winterbottom in 2015, the one year where they mostly managed to put it all together far more than usual

Flem274*

123/5
Great race, glad I watched like even if dog tired.

I defend Perez a bit because F1 fans are often a match for Marko's ruthlessness but that wasn't great last night punting two blokes out of his way.

Stoked for Lawson and stoked Piastri pulled a lot of places back.

I irrationally hate Russell's face so had to lol when he rolled straight on into the wall on the final lap. Silly stuff.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Homestly me and my mate were talking about it - Sandown is a really **** place for a 500 - relatively **** track compared to some of the other non Bathurst tracks - extremely processional outside of the Tander/Hill issues. Also seriously time certain because of noise regulations? Go **** yourself Victoria. Early days it was like seriously can this be the worst day ever to support Ford (like me sadly). Biggest factors for the win were Whincup (seriously a top team needs better codrivers than ****ing Perkins and Russell) and Brodie having to double stack. Most impressive for me where the 19 and the 8 (barely got talked about all broadcast but started 15th and ended up 5th - mostly Heimgartner’s work). Sad my boy Frosty had that 5s penalty - probably cost him a top 10. Lowndes showed he’ll probably still be faster than half the field even in another 10 years - getting wasted driving these wild card entries.

Onto F1, was very excited for a race where Red Bull and Max almost certainly wouldn’t win, didn’t disappoint. Really felt for Tsunoda and Ocon. Really thought Ferrari had screwed it by not pitting under that VSC but they just managed to hold on - Sainz was calm and cool and used Norris perfectly - excellent race from him. Also yeah I hate Russell he’s a bit of a dick so I didn’t mind so much when he went off. Props to Lawson for getting his first points, and Piastri for bringing some home. rip Alonso. Quality maximised day from Gasly, and Verstappen still managed to show his class as a driver compared to Perez especially, but him almost catching LeClerc was ridiculous. Sucks that Williams seems to have gone off a bit again - Albon has been so great this year. I also just feel for Haas every single weekend. Solid quali (or great for Hulkenberg) but can’t hold on to a tyre ever.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Forgit to post this last night but yeah seems we’re back to the status quo again.

6 tenths bro. Insane gap. Looks like the MacLarens will be fighting the Ferrari’s and Perez for the podium, Mercs should fight each other (just don’t seem to have the pace) and Alonso will fight Alpha Tauri and mmmmmmmaybe Alpine/Albon for the end of the points.

Piastri already basically a top 5 Aussie F1 driver? Only others to qualify on the front row are Brabham, Jones, Webber and Ricciardo.

Lawson still contracted with Red Bull in general - but with confirmation of Tsunoda/Ricciardo as AT’s drivers next year sadly he still might not get a seat despite the clear ability he has. I wouldn’t be jumping ship at this point for anyone but one of the top 5 (RB, Ferrari, Mercedes, MacLaren, Aston) teams, and they’re all locked up for next year (bloody Stroll)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Piastri already basically a top 5 Aussie F1 driver? Only others to qualify on the front row are Brabham, Jones, Webber and Ricciardo.
I would say probably, and if not he won't have long to wait. Tim Schenken (probably better known these days as the long serving V8 Supercars race director) scored one F1 podium in Austria in 1971, I would say when Piastri gets his first that will certainly vault him ahead if he isn't already

Shame for Lawson to not be on the 2024 grid, still in the Red Bull system as you say though. Just hope that means he is still well in line for a 2025 drive, but with the way Helmut Marko and his mob of merry men work I do worry he will be tossed aside for whatever bright shiny new thing there is in the RB junior setup by then

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lmao at perez and sargeant being the most under pressure guys to keep their gigs and then doing all this

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I almost am starting to if Perez is just the modern day Giancarlo Fisichella. Punches above his weight in midfield or worse cars, yet just can't get the job done in good equipment

I mean I knew he wasn't going to be able to match Max over the course of a full season, but this is really not great and unfortunately the gap is only growing wider

Flem274*

123/5
We're all living in Oscar Piastri's world and these Euro boys just don't know it yet. Every champion meets his equal, and in a few years time he is going to be the Alonso to Verstappen's Schumacher.

Lando is yet another British "generational talent" and he's already got Oscar breathing down his neck in his rookie year.

Obviously I have an incredibly biased agenda but I'm switching from being a Perez apologist to he needs to go. He's not driving to his ability and is cracking. Ricciardo should be in that seat to keep it straight and bring it home for the next year or so. Ricciardo is a weird one for me, in that I think he was massively underrated in his prime (like all F1 drivers from the non-traditional countries tbh) but is now overrated in his autumn. I guess people just like him more now that we all know he isn't a threat to anyones favourite frontrunners.

Happy to see Lawson beat Tsunoda, pity there wasn't a couple more retirements to give the ATs a chance at a couple of points each.

The only person I want to see Sargeant dropped for is Newgarden (which will never happen). Too much false confidence on reddit atm that seems to genuinely believe the US don't have top tier talent.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
And…. back to our usual programming. Not much to say about Verstappen’s race, basically perfect with a slightly slow start compared to the McLarens. Piastri is able to match Norris in quali but was well off in race pace - obviously still a rookie and much room to improve. Congrats on the first podium of many to come!

Ferrari - solid not spectacular from LeClerc, Sainz just kinda screwed by not coming in earlier, think they had Hamilton covered tbh if they pit the lap right after. At Merc, George gets shafted.. was a bold strategy call from him to go for the one stopper but sadly too bold. If it was any other driver Hamilton gets a penalty for sure. Alonso had an excellent start and got stuffed by the early stop, but really it was Ocon who ruined it all - I don’t think he could’ve ran with the Mercs all race though. Good stuff from Alpine, double points despite both cars starting outside the 10. Great stuff from Lawson again, fighting with Tsunoda lap 1 and managing to hold him off at the end, his stock just keeps improving. Zhou did excellent to finish ahead of the Haas guys despite that lap 1 damage. Haas was just **** in race pce yet again. Unlucky for Albon and Bottas and heck even Stroll, (not sure what happened with his rear wing, but he probably could’ve fought with the Alpines/Alpha Tauris).

Perez seriously??! Like the lap 1 thing was a whatever racing incident but come the **** on. That move? On a Haas? REALLY?!

The only person I want to see Sargeant dropped for is Newgarden (which will never happen). Too much false confidence on reddit atm that seems to genuinely believe the US don't have top tier talent.
Out of US drivers, yeah. But seriously, **** Sargeant he sucks ass. If theres a red flag in qualifying, I’m betting on Sargeant, if theres a driver running 20s behind without having a car issue I’m betting on Sargeant. There are actually a few drivers with more retirements than him which surprised me but its like Smith having less retirements than some of his competitors at the bottom of Supercars - usually they’re too far away from other drivers to have issues.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I almost am starting to if Perez is just the modern day Giancarlo Fisichella. Punches above his weight in midfield or worse cars, yet just can't get the job done in good equipment

I mean I knew he wasn't going to be able to match Max over the course of a full season, but this is really not great and unfortunately the gap is only growing wider
The only reason he's still in the sport is atrocious driver management by Red Bull.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Well well, track limits strikes again for Verstappen and Hulkenberg, Verstappen I’m cool with, much better to watch him try and come through cars rather than just drive away at the front. Hulkenberg very sad though, think he had the pace to challenge the edge of that top 10. Aston Martin wtf. Like they said Alonso’s first time not making Q3 and he’s out in Q1. Solid performances by both Alpha and Alfa, great stuff for Alpine. Norris and Verstappen clearly dominated their teammates in Q3. Ricciardo being just a few tenths off Tsunoda is impressive itself coming back from his injury.