cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 85
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Formula 1 2018

  1. #46
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    38,938
    Minardi were awesome

    Williams desperately need to court a new manufacturer but that won't solve the money and chassis issue. All the hallmarks of a dying team, they really are bad atm. Two pay drivers, no chassis, no aero, customer engine, no sponsors. It's 2019 or out for them. There's rumours of Porsche interest in F1.

    McLaren at least can drag their car into the points with a very good steerer and while they have chassis issues they're doing better than williams despite having the ho hum renault engine.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #47
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Beautiful North
    Posts
    12,904
    One season doesn't ruin an F1 team. You're forgetting that until very recently Williams were running as clear 4th team on the grid with the Merc engine. They've always run a relatively modest budget compared to Ferrari/RB/Merc and McLaren, and have a history of using pay drivers which sometimes pay off (Maldonado for all his crashes did win a GP). If Lowe can sort the chassis for next year (and he's not bad at it TBF) then that Merc engine will give them a huge boost above above McLaren/Toro Rosso and possibly Renault, mebbie even Sauber and Haas too - don't forget one of the drivers you're disparaging above is going to take a Force India seat...
    The loss of Martini is going to hurt, as they won't get anywhere near as much money given the season they've had, but just because they've not announced a sponsor, doesn't mean the car is going to be blank next year. Williams are a stronger marketing prospect than others on the grid such as Sauber/Force India, thanks to their history and British fanbase (and that British TV will give them a bigger percentage of air time than you might expect - this season we've seen far more of Stroll and Sirotkin than Ericsson/Hartley on TV despite running behind them. Its only the fact that Gasly and Leclerc are having stormers that we hear about Sauber and TR)


    Minardi may have been 'awesome' as a plucky underdog in the 2000's, but the 90s they were part of a pack of absolute stinkers on the grid. The type of team that had to beg race directors to compete because they couldn't get within 107% of the qualy time, then retire anyway because the car was dogturd. Them, Simtek, Footwork, Forti, Larusse, Pacific et al might aswell have called their cars F2 and run it as a separate championship racing the same races.

    As for Porsche interest, its unlikely they'd run the mark in F1 unless they can bag a high class team to take over, getting shafted by Ferrari every week will be a huge embarrassment for them. Much more likely to race the Audi badge instead, but then they've been threatening to move into F1 for years with no action. Came close a few years back as the head of VW was into it, but I think he was cleaned out when the emissions scandal hit.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

  3. #48
    State Captain GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Flight 643
    Posts
    1,831
    There shall be no Minardi hate here k thx

    Bring back massive entry lists, bring back prequalifying
    Last edited by GoodAreasShane; 22-09-2018 at 06:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Mark Cameron FTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"

  4. #49
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    38,938
    stroll and sirotkin are terrible, have no business being near a formula 1 grid and are purely there because they can pay williams' massive bills. now that they don't have stroll's dad financing the team they have a lot of money to find.

    they have a history of pay drivers but they're a really, really bad team right now. this is easily the worst they've ever been. even when the bmw in the back during the schumacher/montoya days was blowing up every other race at least the car was fast.

    these things tend to compound. they're not going to attract any serious drivers because the car sucks and even if they could they couldn't afford not to use pay drivers because they have no sponsor confirmed for next year because the car sucks and the drivers are worse. the 2019 car is the most important car in their history imo. it needs to be respectable.

    minardi in the 90s had a trundler but they still had serious drivers like trulli who quickly learned how to keep a field of cars stuck behind him. sirotkin resorted to driving blokes off the road in the end last weekend. granted perez earlier was completely out of line. droppable driving.


  5. #50
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    38,938
    the porsche rumour doing the rounds was involving buying torro rosso iirc and paving the way for a red bull scale back. hartley was there as advance guard.

    but yeah porsche got cold feet. they'll get brave one day. the lure of stuffing ferarri and mercedes at their own game will be too great. if mclaren pulled head out of arse and built a proper chassis and aero package i think they'd have a go.

  6. #51
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Beautiful North
    Posts
    12,904
    Hmm, Stroll is pretty poor, but I think theres more to Sirotkin than this awful car is showing, and I think he'll surprise people a little bit with a season under his belt and a chassis that works. he's also been the only driver feeding back into future development, he's really proactive in learning about the car (he's got a degree in race engineering), whereas Stroll is known for just ****ing off into his own bubble and being no help. Strolls dad isn't actually financing the team any further than paying for the seat, which someone else invariably will come along and do (theres plenty of rich kids with multi millionaire fathers or corporate sponsers out there). You're also being a bit harsh about Sirotkins performance last weekend, yeah he caused an accident and deserved his penalty, but he was running on ruined tyres whilst driving a car that Perez had taken a huge chunk out of with his petulance (TBH I think Williams were wrong to leave him out on those tyres so long, the blame should be there IMO).

    Their performance this year arguably isn't even their worst this decade, both 2011 and 2013 were worse performance wise - 11 was with a dogshit Cossie in the back (they ended up winning a race in 12 with a Renault) and 13 was just awful - 2 point finishes all year, even though the car was reliable - Bottas barely troubled the timekeepers until they got to the USA. They finished 3rd in the championship the next year. You say these things compound, and they can, but Williams have a really good track record of turning a bad season around with a great follow up (though getting themselves in a mess in the first place... not so good). They are really prudent with their limited budget, so if a car is turd they quickly drop development to focus on improving next years design, they don't have the resources to do both.

    I'll give credit to Minardi for giving lots of young drivers a chance to have a race, and mebbie 99-01 they could compete with the other back markers, but most of their time they've failed to finish more often than not. Don't get the Trulli comment, he raced 7 times for them, pretty much at the back all the time (finished 4 races, 2 dead last, one last but one...). Fisichella faired no better the year before, though both evidently did enough to show they could drive despite the car they had.

    As for Porsche rumours, they crop up every few years. VWG have been coyly teasing the idea of commiting to F1 for over a decade now, but have never taken any steps towards actually making an engine - the company line is they have little to no benefits to their street cars, so not worth the money. They'd rather concentrate on touring cars under the Audi/SEAT brands.

  7. #52
    International Captain jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,432
    Leclerc seemed to have a solid race last night. Good on him for dragging his Sauber around the track like that.

  8. #53
    International Captain jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,432


    Think I might print off this picture & hang it on my loungeroom wall. Something to get excited about.

  9. #54
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Beautiful North
    Posts
    12,904
    Think Renault are going to be my team next year. Jumping off the Force India bus after a few years (mainly because I've grown to really dislike Perez), Hulk was one of the reasons I liked FI in the first place. Hopefully Renault can finally give him a car that gets him a long overdue podium.

    Of course if Williams wanna come back into the mix that'd be lovely. Until then I reckon I can get away with supporting them and an actual ​F1 team.
    jimmy101 likes this.

  10. #55
    International Captain jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,432
    Yep, Renault is definitely my team for next year.

  11. #56
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    38,938
    have always rated hulkenberg since A1GP. wish renault would go back to the camp blue and yellow colour scheme but with ricciardo on board i'm definitely a fan

  12. #57
    Evil Scotsman Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    575 - greatest of all
    Posts
    30,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    stroll and sirotkin are terrible, have no business being near a formula 1 grid and are purely there because they can pay williams' massive bills. now that they don't have stroll's dad financing the team they have a lot of money to find.

    they have a history of pay drivers but they're a really, really bad team right now. this is easily the worst they've ever been. even when the bmw in the back during the schumacher/montoya days was blowing up every other race at least the car was fast.

    these things tend to compound. they're not going to attract any serious drivers because the car sucks and even if they could they couldn't afford not to use pay drivers because they have no sponsor confirmed for next year because the car sucks and the drivers are worse. the 2019 car is the most important car in their history imo. it needs to be respectable.

    minardi in the 90s had a trundler but they still had serious drivers like trulli who quickly learned how to keep a field of cars stuck behind him. sirotkin resorted to driving blokes off the road in the end last weekend. granted perez earlier was completely out of line. droppable driving.
    It's not even the worst Williams have been this decade. Their 2013 car was a pile of shite.
    ​63*

    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

  13. #58
    Evil Scotsman Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    575 - greatest of all
    Posts
    30,661
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    I'd go as far as saying the current state of the sport is similar to the 50's, wherein only the major factory-backed teams had a realistic shot at winning races and the privateers were just backmarkers, way out of their league.
    Formula One has pretty much always been that way tbf. People act like the 1960s - where you could stick a Cosworth in the back of the car and go racing - has been the historic norm.

    Brabham had BMW, McLaren had Porsche, Williams and then McLaren had Honda, Williams and then Bennetton had Renault, McLaren had Mercedes, Red Bull had Renault...Brawn in 2009 are the exception (and even they had factory support from Honda before they pulled the plug).

  14. #59
    Evil Scotsman Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    575 - greatest of all
    Posts
    30,661
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    They probably will, because unlike McLaren, they are run professionally. Didn't watch the Amazon documentary myself (my total bias against McLaren meant I was probably not the best person to do a review of that one, I ended up writing on the Williams doc instead) but what I heard off those who did watch it was that they were a complete shambles behind the scenes as a team.
    The impression I had of the McLaren documentary is that they're a team run by a shower of absolute incompetents. Full of corporate middle management types who don't have a clue what's going on and can easily be placated by junior managers just making stuff up.

    Honda didn't come out of it any better. There was a hilarious moment when they realised that the Honda engine didn't fit the gearbox and the Honda mechanics were very reluctant to give McLaren any drawings so they could manufacture a gearbox that could be attached.

  15. #60
    International Captain jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    have always rated hulkenberg since A1GP. wish renault would go back to the camp blue and yellow colour scheme but with ricciardo on board i'm definitely a fan
    I rate the Hulk too, but a few mates of mine have threatened to jump off the Hulk bandwagon after being matched (if not slightly outpaced) by Perez. I'm hoping these two lads get along like a house on fire & we get something similar to the Mika/DC partnership, where both drivers respected each other immensely & helped each other at any given opportunity. Would be nice.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Formula 1 Thread
    By PhoenixFire in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 590
    Last Post: 19-07-2015, 03:27 PM
  2. Formula One
    By Ford_GTHO351 in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17-11-2008, 01:12 AM
  3. rearrange this formula
    By umop 3p!sdn in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 10:14 PM
  4. Formula One discussion thread...
    By Hoggy31 in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 24-04-2005, 11:11 AM
  5. First Indian Formula One Driver
    By biased indian in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 06:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •