cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Formula 1 2018

cpr
    Reckon McLaren got it spot on livery wise this year. Shame about the actual performance of the car eh...
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

As long as Red Bull-Honda doesn't start reaping the benefits of the hard work & teething problems McLaren endured with Honda over the previous few seasons I'll be happy.

cpr
    They probably will, because unlike McLaren, they are run professionally. Didn't watch the Amazon documentary myself (my total bias against McLaren meant I was probably not the best person to do a review of that one, I ended up writing on the Williams doc instead) but what I heard off those who did watch it was that they were a complete shambles behind the scenes as a team.
    jimmy101 likes this.

Reckon that might that might have anything to do with the departure of Ron Dennis?

cpr
    The impression I got from those that watched it (and those that work in the paddock) is its more of an arrogance ingrained in the team rather than lack of leadership - I've been led to believe the attitude is 'We're McLaren, we deserve a better car/engine/whatever we want' and its other peoples fault when they don't get what they are entitled too. The decline of the team predates Dennis leaving, infact it predates his return to the helm. Basically since Hamilton left the teams been chuffing up royally - If theres one thing I have to give Lewis credit for, its reading the situation within McLaren and Mercedes, and jumping when it looked crazy to everyone else.
    Sure the Honda engine was awful at first, but the team wanted Honda to fix it and drop a working engine into the car, not worked with them to get it to suit the vehicle, because in McLarens eyes the chassis just cant be wrong. Remember last year when they were claiming to have the best chassis on the grid and how they'd be far better once they get the Renault engine in? Compare them to Red Bull, who genuinely know how to squeeze the absolute maximum out of their engines...

Yeah, I can see that kind of attitude being prevalent at McLaren. I remember thinking Lewis' move to Merc in 2013 was actually a good one too. Although their potential was unproven at that time, I remember there was even a lot of hype surrounding Rosberg having a breakout season. And then when Lewis joined that hype went through the roof. Plus they'd been in F1 as a constructor for a few years at that point. It was also around that time the number of available engine manufacturers was beginning to shrink, so I was of the idea that a driver was/is gonna be better off driving for a factory concern, rather than a privateer team leasing engines from the big boys.

For similar reasons I'm also expecting Renault to continue their rise up the grid from 2019 onwards. So glad that Danny Ric made the jump. A four-way battle between Merc, Ferrari, RBR & Renault isn't out of the question.

that's a shame about mclaren. they've always been a favourite of mine.

would have to disagree about red bull being pros though. they spend too much time moaning about renault, even when they were winning a few seasons ago, and i've thoroughly enjoyed them running out of young drivers after churning through a long list of names at torro rosso, relegating webber to perma #2 and trying the same with ricciardo.

really excited for renault next year. i've liked hulkenberg since A1GP (remember that?) and ricciardo is one of my favourite drivers on the grid.
    jimmy101 likes this.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

What I just can't fathom is how Jean-Eric Vergne got relegated to the dustbin like he did a few seasons ago. Crazy stuff.

Apart from Renault, another exciting prospect for next year is the possibility of Kubica driving for Williams.

That being said, 2018 has been the best season we've had for a number of years now. Best since 2013 IMO.

State Vice-Captain GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    I can't see Kubica ever returning full time, not optimistic on that one at all. The impression I get is that is still rapid over a couple of laps, but with his arm he lacks the stamina to sustain that sort of pace over a full race distance. Well and truly have my doubts, wouldn't mind being completely wrong on that one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"

I'd love for you to be proven wrong on that one too. But I think you're right. There's actually talk of Williams become a Merc B-team (ala Haas/Sauber/Toro Rosso). Personally this would be sad, as it seems like the sport is gravitating closer & closer to being an unofficial two-tier competition as time goes on.

We desperately need more engine manufacturers. Ford & BMW would be great to have again.

State Vice-Captain GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Agreed, at least one more major engine manufacturer would be an excellent thing for the sport. Gone are the days when a team could make a chassis and bolt a Cosworth DFV in the back, and they would be pretty much ready to race.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodAreasShane View Post
    Agreed, at least one more major engine manufacturer would be an excellent thing for the sport. Gone are the days when a team could make a chassis and bolt a Cosworth DFV in the back, and they would be pretty much ready to race.
    I'd go as far as saying the current state of the sport is similar to the 50's, wherein only the major factory-backed teams had a realistic shot at winning races and the privateers were just backmarkers, way out of their league.
    GoodAreasShane likes this.

yep, that williams is an absolute hunk of junk and it's driven by a pair of daddys boys. a sorry sight for a competition that calls itself the pinnacle. minardi were backmarkers but never disgraced F1 like williams have this year.

Little wonder they're about to lose their Martini sponsorship 😒

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    I'd love for you to be proven wrong on that one too. But I think you're right. There's actually talk of Williams become a Merc B-team (ala Haas/Sauber/Toro Rosso). Personally this would be sad, as it seems like the sport is gravitating closer & closer to being an unofficial two-tier competition as time goes on.

We desperately need more engine manufacturers. Ford & BMW would be great to have again.
    Think Williams are doing everything they can to stop being seen as Mercedes B. They've basically veto'd Ocon driving for them next year as they don't want a Mercedes driver (there's still an element of annoyance at how Merc levered Bottas out of there). Sir Frank really is the last of the old racing guard on the grid now, and with Claire being a chip off that block, theres no way they are going to allow overall control to be wrestled out of the families hands if they can help it. The relationship they have with Mercedes is a bit strained, but held together by a decent amount of mutual trust between the principals, and also the fact that for Williams they aren't going to get a better engine (Ferrari sure as **** won't ever provide them with one) - not sure how long the Williams/Merc contract is, but it was signed quite a while back.
    If BMW came back, or Audi finally made the plunge, I reckon Williams would seriously consider that route dependant on the current Merc contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    yep, that williams is an absolute hunk of junk and it's driven by a pair of daddys boys. a sorry sight for a competition that calls itself the pinnacle. minardi were backmarkers but never disgraced F1 like williams have this year.
    Minardi were the epitome of 'were here to have fun, not to compete'. As much as they never had the budget to do well, they did pretty much prop the field up for 20 years. They had 5 points finishes in their last 10 years, 2 of which were at the shambolic USA 05 race. Theres been far worse stinkers in F1 history (step forward Simtek and Forti off the top off my head) than this Williams
    Truth is, Williams are really hit and miss with their chassis sometimes, will have awful seasons then become serious competitors the next year. It'll be interesting to see what they produce for 2019, as this will be the first year that Paddy Lowe can truly dictate the car set up (2018 was probably already mapped out and under way before he joined)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information