• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Formula 1

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Might use this thread to shamelessly plug my own youtube channel for the F1 fans on this forum.

All videos in the series produced by me, and yes, the voice you hear in the videos in my very own. Hope you guys enjoy, I usually upload a video per month.

Link: F1 Livery Histories

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I had a lot of fun doing Minardi. If you have any requests GAS I'd be happy to make a video on a team of your choice. Barring McLaren or Ferrari, I'm gonna wait til my subscription count rises before dropping those videos.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Was kinda thinking Larrousse would be interesting, some of their old liveries looked like they had been designed by someone on acid. Besides, I always have somewhat of a liking for the underfunded backmarkers of the world.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice choice. I'm a big fan of the twin liveries they ran in '94, they were always pretty out there livery-wise.

Flem274*

123/5
should be a rule that you have to have an absolutely fabulous livery or you're out. force india and torro rosso have the right ideas. god i hate helmet marko but love the TR livery. should be on the main red bull cars.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that TR livery is a breath of fresh air. In general though I've found that the majority of team liveries these days seem to be really minimalist (and it's not just the lack of sponsorship either).

cpr

International Coach
Reckon McLaren got it spot on livery wise this year. Shame about the actual performance of the car eh...

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
As long as Red Bull-Honda doesn't start reaping the benefits of the hard work & teething problems McLaren endured with Honda over the previous few seasons I'll be happy.

cpr

International Coach
They probably will, because unlike McLaren, they are run professionally. Didn't watch the Amazon documentary myself (my total bias against McLaren meant I was probably not the best person to do a review of that one, I ended up writing on the Williams doc instead) but what I heard off those who did watch it was that they were a complete shambles behind the scenes as a team.

cpr

International Coach
The impression I got from those that watched it (and those that work in the paddock) is its more of an arrogance ingrained in the team rather than lack of leadership - I've been led to believe the attitude is 'We're McLaren, we deserve a better car/engine/whatever we want' and its other peoples fault when they don't get what they are entitled too. The decline of the team predates Dennis leaving, infact it predates his return to the helm. Basically since Hamilton left the teams been chuffing up royally - If theres one thing I have to give Lewis credit for, its reading the situation within McLaren and Mercedes, and jumping when it looked crazy to everyone else.
Sure the Honda engine was awful at first, but the team wanted Honda to fix it and drop a working engine into the car, not worked with them to get it to suit the vehicle, because in McLarens eyes the chassis just cant be wrong. Remember last year when they were claiming to have the best chassis on the grid and how they'd be far better once they get the Renault engine in? Compare them to Red Bull, who genuinely know how to squeeze the absolute maximum out of their engines...

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I can see that kind of attitude being prevalent at McLaren. I remember thinking Lewis' move to Merc in 2013 was actually a good one too. Although their potential was unproven at that time, I remember there was even a lot of hype surrounding Rosberg having a breakout season. And then when Lewis joined that hype went through the roof. Plus they'd been in F1 as a constructor for a few years at that point. It was also around that time the number of available engine manufacturers was beginning to shrink, so I was of the idea that a driver was/is gonna be better off driving for a factory concern, rather than a privateer team leasing engines from the big boys.

For similar reasons I'm also expecting Renault to continue their rise up the grid from 2019 onwards. So glad that Danny Ric made the jump. A four-way battle between Merc, Ferrari, RBR & Renault isn't out of the question.

Flem274*

123/5
that's a shame about mclaren. they've always been a favourite of mine.

would have to disagree about red bull being pros though. they spend too much time moaning about renault, even when they were winning a few seasons ago, and i've thoroughly enjoyed them running out of young drivers after churning through a long list of names at torro rosso, relegating webber to perma #2 and trying the same with ricciardo.

really excited for renault next year. i've liked hulkenberg since A1GP (remember that?) and ricciardo is one of my favourite drivers on the grid.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
What I just can't fathom is how Jean-Eric Vergne got relegated to the dustbin like he did a few seasons ago. Crazy stuff.

Apart from Renault, another exciting prospect for next year is the possibility of Kubica driving for Williams.

That being said, 2018 has been the best season we've had for a number of years now. Best since 2013 IMO.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't see Kubica ever returning full time, not optimistic on that one at all. The impression I get is that is still rapid over a couple of laps, but with his arm he lacks the stamina to sustain that sort of pace over a full race distance. Well and truly have my doubts, wouldn't mind being completely wrong on that one though.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd love for you to be proven wrong on that one too. But I think you're right. There's actually talk of Williams become a Merc B-team (ala Haas/Sauber/Toro Rosso). Personally this would be sad, as it seems like the sport is gravitating closer & closer to being an unofficial two-tier competition as time goes on.

We desperately need more engine manufacturers. Ford & BMW would be great to have again.