Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51

Thread: The Olympics - Athens 2004

  1. #31
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Narrowing down the five remainders...

    1) Madrid - won't get it because Barcelona had it in 1992

    LA - 1984
    Atlanta - 1996 ...

    There is no reason why Madrid couldn't host it.
    "Matt Damon"

  2. #32
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Narrowing down the five remainders...

    1) Madrid - won't get it because Barcelona had it in 1992
    2) New York - won't get it because of Salt Lake City 2002 and Vancouver 2010
    3) Moscow - I somewhat doubt that one
    4) London
    5) Paris

    Two horse race for me (and most bookies) with Paris ahead by a neck.
    Err isnt Vancouver in Canada?

    And it will be 20 years since Barcelona hosted it when the 2012 Olympidad begins.

    And both London and Parris have had it twice (I certainly know London has!)
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  3. #33
    Hall of Fame Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Err isnt Vancouver in Canada?

    And it will be 20 years since Barcelona hosted it when the 2012 Olympidad begins.

    And both London and Parris have had it twice (I certainly know London has!)
    True on all counts.

    London last hosted the games in 1948, Paris (top of my head here) in 1924. Both countries came in because no-one else was prepared to - the world was recovering from huge wars at the time and in effect Britain and France helped bring about a sense of normality.

    No, it will be in all likelihood down to those two - and Britain made (IMO) a wonderful signing yesterday by appointing Seb Coe. The bookies have London and Paris neck-and-neck, and the rest nowhere.

    At the end of the day, it will be down to the usual ethical reasons - where the wives of the IOC members want to go for a holiday and how big the bribes are.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  4. #34
    PY
    PY is offline
    International Coach PY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    10,736
    Quote Originally Posted by nibblet
    LA - 1984
    Atlanta - 1996 ...

    There is no reason why Madrid couldn't host it.
    America is a huge country though. Spain isn't.

    I hope London gets it but I also worry because to be quite honest, London is crapped out by rush-hour traffic let alone half the world's athletes coming to compete and thousands more fans as well. Who am I kidding......I desperately want it to be in England.

    Eddie: Aren't all things decided like that? I'm not sure about this but didn't South Africa get the 'Soccer' (for our antipodean brethren) WC because certain individuals in FIFA (namely Pele) have been pushing to get a major competition in Africa for quite a while?

    I agree with the decision mind because 'soccer' is truly a worldwide sport and hosting of competitions should be so.
    Last edited by PY; 20-05-2004 at 04:02 AM.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

    - Stephen Currie

    "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1


  5. #35
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Err isnt Vancouver in Canada?

    And it will be 20 years since Barcelona hosted it when the 2012 Olympidad begins.

    And both London and Parris have had it twice (I certainly know London has!)
    I'm fully aware that it's in Canada, but that's very close to the USA and Games tend to cycle far more globally than that.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  6. #36
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Eddie: Aren't all things decided like that? I'm not sure about this but didn't South Africa get the 'Soccer' (for our antipodean brethren) WC because certain individuals in FIFA (namely Pele) have been pushing to get a major competition in Africa for quite a while?

    I agree with the decision mind because 'soccer' is truly a worldwide sport and hosting of competitions should be so.

    Correct on both counts....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  7. #37
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    America is a huge country though. Spain isn't.
    fo sho. But shouldn't every city be given a fair shot at hosting the games. America is a big country with many large cities. On the other hand Barcelona and Madrid are two very large cities in their own right, with a unique culture. Personally I'd like to see it go to Paris or Madrid.

  8. #38
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,877
    Quote Originally Posted by nibblet
    fo sho. But shouldn't every city be given a fair shot at hosting the games. America is a big country with many large cities. On the other hand Barcelona and Madrid are two very large cities in their own right, with a unique culture. Personally I'd like to see it go to Paris or Madrid.
    Shouldn't the games be rotated around the world so people of different countries can see it live?

  9. #39
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Shouldn't the games be rotated around the world so people of different countries can see it live?
    But not that many countries are capable of hosting such a mammouth event... It can hardly be rotated that much when there are such disparities between areas...

  10. #40
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    But not that many countries are capable of hosting such a mammouth event... It can hardly be rotated that much when there are such disparities between areas...
    Which has what to do with UK v France v Spain?

  11. #41
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Which has what to do with UK v France v Spain?
    Absolutely sod all! Since when did i say it had anything to do it for that?

    I was trying to justify the US getting multiple events such as LA and Atlanta .. Ditto Spain if Madrid is succesful...

  12. #42
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,877
    Which does nowt to counter the International rotation between Euro countries point

  13. #43
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Which does nowt to counter the International rotation between Euro countries point
    Never said it did

  14. #44
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Never said it did
    Please illustrate the point in posting it, then?

    Look at the context of the post you replied to with it!

  15. #45
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Please illustrate the point in posting it, then?

    Look at the context of the post you replied to with it!
    I replied to this post.. by you

    "Shouldn't the games be rotated around the world so people of different countries can see it live?"

    Worldwide point of view?? Not Euro countries....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •