• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Olympics - Athens 2004

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie gold Medal chances .....

virtually all the swimmers, cyclists (including in team events), shooters, rowers, Jana Pittman (400m hurdles), Lleyton, Woodbridge, a coupe of the archers, Jane Saville, that marshall arts lady that won in sydney... cant really think of any other sports right now that we stand much of a chance in, could be wrong though... too tired :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
London have been shortlisted for the 2012 olympics...

I think its a bit off really.. The UK are capable and deserve to have the olympics, but not in a city as tatty and with such poor infrastructure...

nibbs

International Captain
nz have a couple of chances. we have this shot putter, the ever-swindell twins (rowers), sarah ulmer (cycling), and dam it, there must be a few more.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
London have been shortlisted for the 2012 olympics...

I think its a bit off really.. The UK are capable and deserve to have the olympics, but not in a city as tatty and with such poor infrastructure...
Rich thinks it would be better off in Leipzig, Havana, Istanbul or Rio.

Craig

World Traveller
nibblet said:
nz have a couple of chances. we have this shot putter, the ever-swindell twins (rowers), sarah ulmer (cycling), and dam it, there must be a few more.
Yep she did well in the ICU Track World Cup recently in Australia.

Great Britian picked up 5 golds.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Rich thinks it would be better off in Leipzig, Havana, Istanbul or Rio.
Didnt realize the other bids were so poor :) Maybe Rio or Istanbul would be a bit more capable, who knows...

As for Taunton, shack 'em up in the castle hotel.. and on the streets...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Narrowing down the five remainders...

1) Madrid - won't get it because Barcelona had it in 1992
2) New York - won't get it because of Salt Lake City 2002 and Vancouver 2010
3) Moscow - I somewhat doubt that one
4) London
5) Paris

Two horse race for me (and most bookies) with Paris ahead by a neck.

nibbs

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:

LA - 1984
Atlanta - 1996 ...

There is no reason why Madrid couldn't host it.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:

2) New York - won't get it because of Salt Lake City 2002 and Vancouver 2010
3) Moscow - I somewhat doubt that one
4) London
5) Paris

Two horse race for me (and most bookies) with Paris ahead by a neck.
Err isnt Vancouver in Canada?

And it will be 20 years since Barcelona hosted it when the 2012 Olympidad begins.

And both London and Parris have had it twice (I certainly know London has!)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:

And it will be 20 years since Barcelona hosted it when the 2012 Olympidad begins.

True on all counts.

London last hosted the games in 1948, Paris (top of my head here) in 1924. Both countries came in because no-one else was prepared to - the world was recovering from huge wars at the time and in effect Britain and France helped bring about a sense of normality.

No, it will be in all likelihood down to those two - and Britain made (IMO) a wonderful signing yesterday by appointing Seb Coe. The bookies have London and Paris neck-and-neck, and the rest nowhere.

At the end of the day, it will be down to the usual ethical reasons - where the wives of the IOC members want to go for a holiday and how big the bribes are.

PY

International Coach
nibblet said:
LA - 1984
Atlanta - 1996 ...

There is no reason why Madrid couldn't host it.
America is a huge country though. Spain isn't.

I hope London gets it but I also worry because to be quite honest, London is crapped out by rush-hour traffic let alone half the world's athletes coming to compete and thousands more fans as well. Who am I kidding......I desperately want it to be in England. :cool2:

Eddie: Aren't all things decided like that? I'm not sure about this but didn't South Africa get the 'Soccer' (for our antipodean brethren) WC because certain individuals in FIFA (namely Pele) have been pushing to get a major competition in Africa for quite a while?

I agree with the decision mind because 'soccer' is truly a worldwide sport and hosting of competitions should be so.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:

I'm fully aware that it's in Canada, but that's very close to the USA and Games tend to cycle far more globally than that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
PY said:
Eddie: Aren't all things decided like that? I'm not sure about this but didn't South Africa get the 'Soccer' (for our antipodean brethren) WC because certain individuals in FIFA (namely Pele) have been pushing to get a major competition in Africa for quite a while?

I agree with the decision mind because 'soccer' is truly a worldwide sport and hosting of competitions should be so.

Correct on both counts....

nibbs

International Captain
PY said:
America is a huge country though. Spain isn't.
fo sho. But shouldn't every city be given a fair shot at hosting the games. America is a big country with many large cities. On the other hand Barcelona and Madrid are two very large cities in their own right, with a unique culture. Personally I'd like to see it go to Paris or Madrid.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
nibblet said:
fo sho. But shouldn't every city be given a fair shot at hosting the games. America is a big country with many large cities. On the other hand Barcelona and Madrid are two very large cities in their own right, with a unique culture. Personally I'd like to see it go to Paris or Madrid.
Shouldn't the games be rotated around the world so people of different countries can see it live?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Shouldn't the games be rotated around the world so people of different countries can see it live?
But not that many countries are capable of hosting such a mammouth event... It can hardly be rotated that much when there are such disparities between areas...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
But not that many countries are capable of hosting such a mammouth event... It can hardly be rotated that much when there are such disparities between areas...
Which has what to do with UK v France v Spain?