• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Olympics - Athens 2004

Langeveldt

Soutie
This looks very worrying.. Reports of a bomb blast in Athens...

Is there any point in having an Olympic games?? When the whole thing seems like a pointless act shrouded in fear and threats, who cares any more for any "Olympic ideals?"

Just a worrying thought...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
This looks very worrying.. Reports of a bomb blast in Athens...

Is there any point in having an Olympic games?? When the whole thing seems like a pointless act shrouded in fear and threats, who cares any more for any "Olympic ideals?"

Just a worrying thought...
In a word, if the Olympics are called off this time, then that's it - the end, finito. No more Olympics, no more World Cup, no more nothing - ever. Drawbridge up, sit behind your doors and quake with fear.

The very day I started work at the Stock Exchange many years ago, there was a terrorist attack in one of the other Stock Exchange buildings at the end of the road (small bomb, no warning). There were a few more over the two years I worked there - Bishopsgate, Staples Corner, Docklands, the railway line my train went over 15 minutes before etc etc.

We just carried on - and that's what everyone should do now.

I'll tell you who cares about the Olympic ideals - I do - and that's why I say sod terrorists.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
In a word, if the Olympics are called off this time, then that's it - the end, finito. No more Olympics, no more World Cup, no more nothing - ever. Drawbridge up, sit behind your doors and quake with fear.

The very day I started work at the Stock Exchange many years ago, there was a terrorist attack in one of the other Stock Exchange buildings at the end of the road (small bomb, no warning). There were a few more over the two years I worked there - Bishopsgate, Staples Corner, Docklands, the railway line my train went over 15 minutes before etc etc.

We just carried on - and that's what everyone should do now.

I'll tell you who cares about the Olympic ideals - I do - and that's why I say sod terrorists.
Well, its an admirable attitude, but when countries start refusing to send their athletes to high profile events, thats when the s*** will really be hitting the fan...

Sad to see that a global celebration of humankind will just be an exercise in fear and paranoia... Speaks volumes for the problems that exist...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I have great doubts that this was Al-Qaeda - too amateurish.

November 17 or Revolutionary Struggle for mine... still... I'm with Eduardo.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the olympics must go ahead. the main problm i have is the shocking state all the venues are in...

Deja moo

International Captain
I think any thoughts as to whether Athens should go on with the Olympics should not be because of the Bomb , but because of athens' falling behind scgedule in preparations.

Langeveldt

Soutie
orangepitch said:
I think any thoughts as to whether Athens should go on with the Olympics should not be because of the Bomb , but because of athens' falling behind scgedule in preparations.
Thats just part of having the event in Greece... I remember struggling to get a plate of chips in Argostoli in less than 2 hours...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have to second what eddie said. For a lot of people the Olympics are the pinacle of their lives. It means more than just sport, im sure everyone knows that.
And why should we give in to terrorists? They arent going to win, in the end American and the Allies are going to stop this nonsense (to a degree) and live will be back to something that resembles normal.
Its so crap watching TV everyday seeing another bomb blast. Why cant they just **** off and spot bombing everything. ******s.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
I have great doubts that this was Al-Qaeda - too amateurish.
You would be right.

They havent claimed responsibility for it and it would of been even bigger.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On a lighter note, who are the medal hopefuls from the various countries?

For Trinidad and Tobago we have the killer B's...

George Bovell III - 200M IM Record-holder - swimmer
Ato Bolden - Previous Silver and Bronze medalist - sprinter
Daryl Brown - Youth phenom - sprinter

The we have Candace Scott with the hammer throw.

Langeveldt

Soutie
broncoman said:
I have to second what eddie said. For a lot of people the Olympics are the pinacle of their lives. It means more than just sport, im sure everyone knows that.
And why should we give in to terrorists? They arent going to win, in the end American and the Allies are going to stop this nonsense (to a degree) and live will be back to something that resembles normal.
Its so crap watching TV everyday seeing another bomb blast. Why cant they just **** off and spot bombing everything. ******s.
Whenever a superpower tries to lay down its authority (whether it be for freedom or not) there will always be people that disagree with it, and therefore terrorists can in theory never be defeated...

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
On a lighter note, who are the medal hopefuls from the various countries?

For Trinidad and Tobago we have the killer B's...

George Bovell III - 200M IM Record-holder - swimmer
Ato Bolden - Previous Silver and Bronze medalist - sprinter
Daryl Brown - Youth phenom - sprinter

The we have Candace Scott with the hammer throw.
Bolden must surely be pushing 30 or 31, 32?

Lance Armstrong would have to be favourite for gold in cycling's time-trail. Amazingly enough the only Olympic medal he has won is bronze in the event last time around. But you cant rule out his arch rival Jan Ullrich.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
Bolden must surely be pushing 30 or 31, 32?

Lance Armstrong would have to be favourite for gold in cycling's time-trail. Amazingly enough the only Olympic medal he has won is bronze in the event last time around. But you cant rule out his arch rival Jan Ullrich.
Or David Millar :p

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Or David Millar :p
If we're going down that route, Thor Hushovd. Although I think he's better used in the individual event. :tongue:

Armstrong isn't actually that good a cyclist, but he prepares for the Tour de France very well by not competing for three months before that. I think, if he had the same programme as Ullrich, Ullrich would have won the last Tour.

Other medal hopers (or no-hopers) for Norway:
Nina Solheim (taekwondo)
Olaf Tufte (single sculler, rowing)
Eirik Verås Larsen + Nils Olav Fjeldheim (kayak)
Siren Sundby (sailing - European)
Christoffer Sundby + Frode Bovim (sailing - 49er)
Harald Jensen (skeet shooting)

Think that's about it. Our women footballers didn't make it due to the IOC's strange qualifying rules (basically, you have to get to the World Cup Final to qualify from Europe - unless your name is Greece and you can't play football) - and our women handballers are, well, crap.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Why hasnt Handball caught on in the UK??? I think I would excel at that because It doesnt involve a bat or feet.... shame :(

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Think it's because of rugby - you've already got a much more violent sport with basically the same idea (carrying the ball forward) - so no need to import handball.

But it is strange, seeing as it is popular over most of continental Europe.

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
Armstrong isn't actually that good a cyclist, but he prepares for the Tour de France very well by not competing for three months before that. I think, if he had the same programme as Ullrich, Ullrich would have won the last Tour.
In those three months he is training when and where nobody else, for example in the Pyrennes and in foul weather.

Mind you if Armstrong didnt win on Luz Ardien (sp), and Ullrich didnt crash on the time trial to Nantes, Ullrich might just have won it.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Of course he is, that's my point. He is spending three months training when the rest have to compete in World Cup races and other tours, and exhausting themselves there.