• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang

Spark

Global Moderator
Just watcedh the South Korea women's short track speed skating team have a massive fall, give basically a whole lap's lead to the other teams, and *still* win by miles and break an Olympic record.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How do you even start luge as a sport, when you are a kid? What mother in their right mind says "Johnny it is fine to jump on a sled and scream down a tube of ice and try not kill yourself...."

Spark

Global Moderator
How do you even start luge as a sport, when you are a kid? What mother in their right mind says "Johnny it is fine to jump on a sled and scream down a tube of ice and try not kill yourself...."
I think that about a lot of winter sports tbh. Like, how does anyone become professional in moguls without having artificial knees?

cpr

International Coach
The amount of winter olympians who get into their chosen sport because they've missed out/lost funding on their boring track and field event. See Amy Williams for a great example. And Cool Runnings of course.

Meanwhile Curling continues to be a fascinatingly watchable sport.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I was in Austria on some of the slopes there were kids as young as 3 learning to ski while adults with death blades on their feet whizzed past at like 30kmph. I was terrified I'd knock into one of them but their parents didn't seem to give any ****s and had left them with an instructor.

Europeans can be mental.

morgieb

I think that about a lot of winter sports tbh. Like, how does anyone become professional in moguls without having artificial knees?
All Winter Olympics sports bar curling seem dangerous as ****.

_Ed_

Heaps of snowboarders are falling over in this women's final. It was delayed by high winds, and I'm guessing those conditions are still having a pretty major impact. Makes me wince every time.

Spark

Global Moderator
When I was in Austria on some of the slopes there were kids as young as 3 learning to ski while adults with death blades on their feet whizzed past at like 30kmph. I was terrified I'd knock into one of them but their parents didn't seem to give any ****s and had left them with an instructor.

Europeans can be mental.
Yeah I had the same experience as Switzerland. Although apparently, it's actually really, really easy for kid's bodies to handle skiing. Low centre of gravity, more flexible etc., so it's not the muscle-killing nightmare that learning it is as an adult. So you just get parades of 7 year olds casually whizzing down the orange pistes which would basically be certain injury for a beginner.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently Dirk Nannes is commentating the moguls as he used to be a handy skier. I also read it's harder on the back, despite the fact it looks like their knees are about to fly off.

Daemon

Yeah I had the same experience as Switzerland. Although apparently, it's actually really, really easy for kid's bodies to handle skiing. Low centre of gravity, more flexible etc., so it's not the muscle-killing nightmare that learning it is as an adult. So you just get parades of 7 year olds casually whizzing down the orange pistes which would basically be certain injury for a beginner.
I appreciate it's easier for them (some don't even use the poles) but all the low center of gravity and flexibility can't help you if a fully grown adult slams into you. Personally would never let my kids on a slope that has adults (especially beginner adults) on it.

Spark

Global Moderator
The way the crowd went completely dead when the Korean skater got DQ'd in the 500m short track speed skating final, omg.

Burgey

Watched some women's luge (not a euphemism) last night. Bloody insane sport.