• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Footballers who Could Still Come Good

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
In a small attempt to lift the soon and gloom here is a thread to discuss which young, or youngish English football talents who could probably still wind up being world class, or at least shift into a higher gear.

I would put John Stones, and Ross Barkley in this category. More hopes on Stones though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In a small attempt to lift the soon and gloom here is a thread to discuss which young, or youngish English football talents who could probably still wind up being world class, or at least shift into a higher gear.

I would put John Stones, and Ross Barkley in this category. More hopes on Stones though.
Luke Shaw will be an england player for years once he gets away from Mourinho.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harry Winks is the latest to kick off the hype cycle. Tbf he should probably get into the national team already given how badly Dier-Henderson is working out.

Niall

International Coach
Do think Phil Jones is better than he gets credit for online. Chris Smalling on the other hand:laugh:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I still believe Wilshere has the potential to come good and that we are on the right track to win the Premier League again.

Arsene Wenger, speaking during the summer 2030 transfer window.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Harry Winks is the latest to kick off the hype cycle. Tbf he should probably get into the national team already given how badly Dier-Henderson is working out.
There's one obvious argument for playing Winks and Dier behind Ali and Kane in the national team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's one obvious argument for playing Winks and Dier behind Ali and Kane in the national team.
Only if you can change Eriksen's nationality. For me Alli has been mediocre in an England shirt but because the media fawn over him, his place is never questioned

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Only if you can change Eriksen's nationality. For me Alli has been mediocre in an England shirt but because the media fawn over him, his place is never questioned
I know what you mean, but maybe the presence of Sterling, Walker, Henderson and, more recently, Oxlade-Chamberlain has provided several worse performers than Alli in the England side.
I think that, in time, it will help that he's now playing in his club role for England, instead of behind two forwards, but admittedly there was little evidence so far this season.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He’s basically played his entire England career in that role though and has something like 2 goals and 1 assist in more than 20 games.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do think Phil Jones is better than he gets credit for online. Chris Smalling on the other hand:laugh:
Phil jones, interesting, pretty sure I was one of the first on this forum to talk about how crap he was compared to the hype.

and the hype thing was the point, people are now forgetting that when he first joined United, for some reason people were just spunking their pants over him, comparisons with Duncanm Edwards, Bobby Moore, Franco Baresi, then when he moved into midfield Bryan Robson, it was some of the most exaggerated nonsense by an huge wadge of press, presumably because Ferguson rated him, and they enjoyed sucking on Taggarts joystick.

Then their was backlash when people realised he really was below average at the time.

Yet I think I said had at the time, I wished the hype would die down, because he could probably be a decent defender, nothing more than that, but hey that's a good thing.