• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah pretty much, for the top teams it is just a question of do they improve your team and could you have got anyone else better, the money seems kind of irrelevant.

Even the Championship is going that way, Brit Assombalonga for 14 million, I mean really. Lucky for a club like Brentford I think most Championship sides spend their money even worse than most Premier League clubs.

grecian

Yeah pretty much, for the top teams it is just a question of do they improve your team and could you have got anyone else better, the money seems kind of irrelevant.

Even the Championship is going that way, Brit Assombalonga for 14 million, I mean really. Lucky for a club like Brentford I think most Championship sides spend their money even worse than most Premier League clubs.
Well I think they saee the Prem League now as the Golden Fleece, so yeah, some are going to take a few silly risks to get there. Could see a few of them overstretching themselves and plummeting down the Leagues. Yet I guess that's always happened to an extent, but may get worse as chairman/managers take big punts for bigger rewards.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Who is worth anything anymore, the money is just becoming meaningless? The old adage is more important than ever before, people are worth what others are willing to pay. Kyle Walkerr FFS.
Making him their top earner makes a difference still though I would think. At the very least everyone else below what they pay is going to want parity. While this is always true to an extent Barkley isn't very good to begin with so that makes it worse.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
So Morata to Chelsea for less than they wanted United to pay. Bastards.

Disappointing tbh. Especially with Mourinhos recent comments about wanting Morata. God I hope Lukaku doesn't choke under the weight of expectations.

grecian

What are all these stupid new channels on Sky? and why are most of them showing crap football?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Making him their top earner makes a difference still though I would think. At the very least everyone else below what they pay is going to want parity. While this is always true to an extent Barkley isn't very good to begin with so that makes it worse.
Tottenham's players are massively underpaid when you look at the top six in the PL. Partly down to the culture that in football young players should be happy to accept less simply because they're young.

grecian

So Morata to Chelsea for less than they wanted United to pay. Bastards.

Disappointing tbh. Especially with Mourinhos recent comments about wanting Morata. God I hope Lukaku doesn't choke under the weight of expectations.
I think Barkley will probably become the English player whom I defend against CW's hate, in the long run of them. I think he's decent, and there's definitely a footballer in there. As Cabinet points out, if Totenham are going to carry on being competitive, Levy needs to change their wage structure pretty quickly, or they won't keep players, so it becomes irrelevent if Barkley temporarily becomes top earner.

Scaly piscine

I would be surprised if Barkley did well at Spurs. I think he'll bomb actually, but you know if he does anything flash 'pundits' will dribble on about it for the whole season.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The main reason they're underpaid is because they've improved so much while at Spurs.

Most Dortmund players could earn far more elsewhere too. With a good reputation for development you can sustainably get away with paying players less than other clubs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think Barkley will probably become the English player whom I defend against CW's hate, in the long run of them. I think he's decent, and there's definitely a footballer in there. As Cabinet points out, if Totenham are going to carry on being competitive, Levy needs to change their wage structure pretty quickly, or they won't keep players, so it becomes irrelevent if Barkley temporarily becomes top earner.
I'd be curious to see where Pochettino sees Barkley fitting in at Spurs seeing as he already has Eriksen and Delle Alli.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Been a hell of a summer for us so far. Trimmed a lot of the fat, signed 3 fullbacks, a new keeper, Douglas Luiz and still hard after Sanchez. If we do sign him it could be our best summer since the Yaya/Silva one.

flibbertyjibber

Sure.

Happened to Barcelona constantly for 10 years with Xavi and Iniesta right enough. Neither of them could stick a man on his arse.
Different when the players are that quality though, also totally different in Spain to here and that pair closed down and worked hard anyway which Barkley doesn't do.

Uppercut

Barkley is kind of like the anti-Xavi. He's a total footballing idiot.

I do hate the move a lot less if they plan to shift him back to CM. But I think Poch might be overestimating his ability to get Barkley under control. Poch's style is to unceremoniously boot out anyone who annoys him, and Barkley, like Sissoko, is both hard to boot out and potentially very annoying.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barkley is kind of like the anti-Xavi. He's a total footballing idiot.

I do hate the move a lot less if they plan to shift him back to CM. But I think Poch might be overestimating his ability to get Barkley under control. Poch's style is to unceremoniously boot out anyone who annoys him, and Barkley, like Sissoko, is both hard to boot out and potentially very annoying.
If anyone can get him to be less profligate with possession, maybe Poch is the man. And maybe not being an automatic pick might focus his mind on actually improving his game instead of coasting.

But tbh I don't believe any of that positive stuff either.