• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It would realistically end our top four challenge if we sold them. You can make the argument that getting top four and going deeper in the Europa League this season is a greater financial reward than flogging them for £20m each, and it would certainly make the second half of the season more enjoyable.

People seemed quite happy at the time with the idea of them both staying this season, though I had quite a few reservations myself simply because of the amount of potential money it would be writing off. It's weird to now see a lot of clamour for them to leave, it's not like they or the team have been particularly bad. IMO as soon as the summer transfer window closed they made their bed for the season. Selling them or keeping them was defendable, doing this half arsed thing in between where they're sold in January would basically be the worst thing we could do.

Cow

Banned
let them both run down their contract.

I think they will both be motivated as essentially they are putting themselves in the shop window for a final big contract of their careers.

I have a headache

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Even if they don't kick another ball until the World Cup (I know Chile aren't in it but let's not split hairs) I don't think there'd be any shortage of takers with fat wallets.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, just to build on my earlier post, the question for Arsenal at this stage (so far as I see it anyway), is basically:

Do you want to have two world class players play for you for the next six months? Or would you rather they just went away?

Cow

Banned
Arsenal need to get rid of all the average crap in their squad.

Welbeck, Walcott, Monreal, Wilshere, Iwobi, Xhaka (maybe), Coquelin, Elneny... so much midtable filth there... their squad is way too big. Better off selling this dirt and buying 2 or 3 quality players.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal need to get rid of all the average crap in their squad.

Welbeck, Walcott, Monreal, Wilshere, Iwobi, Xhaka (maybe), Coquelin, Elneny... so much midtable filth there... their squad is way too big. Better off selling this dirt and buying 2 or 3 quality players.
Nah ****.

Cow

Banned
He's rubbish every time I watch him. I genuinely think he's only in the squad to appease London's Nigerian community.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Iwobi is pretty much the best possible squad player: fit, fast and technical enough to carry out tactical instructions and young enough that he has a decent chance of stepping up to the next level. He's not amazing but anyone better will want to be first-choice.

The Cow's general point is true though, Wenger's spent years holding on to players when it's been clear for ages that they're very unlikely to reach the level required.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Iwobi is pretty much the best possible squad player: fit, fast and technical enough to carry out tactical instructions and young enough that he has a decent chance of stepping up to the next level. He's not amazing but anyone better will want to be first-choice.

The Cow's general point is true though, Wenger's spent years holding on to players when it's been clear for ages that they're very unlikely to reach the level required.
Yeah agree entirely.

Every good team needs 1 or 2, or maybe even 3, players like this though. Pretty much every team that has ever had any prolonged or serious success I can think of has done. Just unfortunate that Arsenal could probably put out an entire 11 of players like this these days.

Iwobi a total gun though.

Cow

Banned
Yeah agree entirely.

Every good team needs 1 or 2, or maybe even 3, players like this though. Pretty much every team that has ever had any prolonged or serious success I can think of has done. Just unfortunate that Arsenal could probably put out an entire 11 of players like this these days.

Iwobi a total gun though.
He really isn't.

He'll be playing for Stoke within 2 years.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Iwobi is fine. Think he suffers from having to replace Özil or Alexis most of the time he plays now. When playing with both he has far more good games than bad. Sadly that can't really happen anymore in this formation.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Eh. Even if you think Arsenal have too many average squad players (true) a 21 year old academy player on £25k a week, or whatever, is hardly the problem.

And I'll over look the blasphemous inclusion of Monreal on your list.