• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean, I used to love a chipped penalty, but they really have become so ubiquitous it's boring now. Well done Pickford for standing still, even with an option to suddenly go right. You see that bloke with his haircut and he was just bound to ponce it down the middle.

Oh we Got Charlton in the League Cup, umm yeah, meh.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh we Got Charlton in the League Cup, umm yeah, meh.
Was that the game where Charlton were home or the away one?

In other news Brighton sign the Aussie national keeper. Any good? Not seen Aussies play for a while so have no idea, if he does as well as Schwarzer did over here then Brighton have a good one.

flibbertyjibber

Well done Hector Bellerin saying he will donate £50 for every minute he plays in the Euro under 21 championships to the Grenfell fund. Hopefully raise a lot of cash and also more from people who follow him on social media.

grecian

In the end, gotta say, anything that genuinely stops time-wasting, will get a thumbs up from me, it's an horrible epidemic in the lower Leagues.

It's not just it's boring and wastes time, it is almost always coupled with horrible direct football. Simply playing that form of football means short, fast, quick energy bursts, so time-wasting even starts before they're even losing at times.

Of the teams promoted in division 4 this year, I think they all utilised this tactic, except Pompey. Which is of course me being bitter, but it's still fairly true. It works though, and always has in the depths and beyond, so pragmatic or cynical whatever, would be nice if authorities could try to counter ut, isn't great for supporters or the English game as a whole.

vcs

One of the proposals would allow being able to dribble straight from a free-kick to "encourage attacking play as the player who is fouled can stop the ball and then immediately continue their dribble/attacking move".
Unless you're named Lionel Messi, why would this be of any use to the attacking team? Surely it's harder to dribble past an organised defence from a stand still after you've been brought down already. If the ball had broken to another player of the attacking team during the foul, the referee already has the option to play advantage.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Unless you're named Lionel Messi, why would this be of any use to the attacking team? Surely it's harder to dribble past an organised defence from a stand still after you've been brought down already. If the ball had broken to another player of the attacking team during the foul, the referee already has the option to play advantage.
Because if you're on a run down the wing and get fouled then you have to wait and pass the ball to a team-mate to restart.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Looks like no chance of getting Danny Ward back from Liverpool. Hopefully we can get ourselves back Golcar lad Alex Smithies for QPR without paying too much extra on what we sold him for.

vcs

But wouldn't that be harder? Since your momentum is already impeded. I can maybe see an advantage in cases of shirt-pulls near the box etc. where a free kick would have to clear a wall, but in those situations, anyway, the players won't claim fouls unless they are brought down fully.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In the end, gotta say, anything that genuinely stops time-wasting, will get a thumbs up from me, it's an horrible epidemic in the lower Leagues.

It's not just it's boring and wastes time, it is almost always coupled with horrible direct football. Simply playing that form of football means short, fast, quick energy bursts, so time-wasting even starts before they're even losing at times.

Of the teams promoted in division 4 this year, I think they all utilised this tactic, except Pompey. Which is of course me being bitter, but it's still fairly true. It works though, and always has in the depths and beyond, so pragmatic or cynical whatever, would be nice if authorities could try to counter ut, isn't great for supporters or the English game as a whole.
A million per cent this.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But wouldn't that be harder? Since your momentum is already impeded. I can maybe see an advantage in cases of shirt-pulls near the box etc. where a free kick would have to clear a wall, but in those situations, anyway, the players won't claim fouls unless they are brought down fully.
I see it as more of an advantage where there's space in behind to run into if you take it quickly but there's no team-mate within 20 yards.

cpr

International Coach
If its brought it I doubt it'd be used often. Maybe to exploit a gap in a re-organizing defence.

Personally I say allow any fouls near the corner flag in the last 5 minutes of a game. Absolute hate that strategy of hiding the ball in the corner.

grecian

If its brought it I doubt it'd be used often. Maybe to exploit a gap in a re-organizing defence.

Personally I say allow any fouls near the corner flag in the last 5 minutes of a game. Absolute hate that strategy of hiding the ball in the corner.
See, I Hate that too, but in the end that's just unenforceable, (What if someone goes two-footed to someone they didn't like) if they're within the rules. I mean refs can definitely be told to use the obstruction rule more liberally. After all in the end that's the aim of that tactic, not allowing the player to get the ball, and not meaning to do anything with it.

cpr

International Coach
See, I Hate that too, but in the end that's just unenforceable, (What if someone goes two-footed to someone they didn't like) if they're within the rules. I mean refs can definitely be told to use the obstruction rule more liberally. After all in the end that's the aim of that tactic, not allowing the player to get the ball, and not meaning to do anything with it.
As someone who spent his teenage years watching Roy Keane, I fail to see the issue here.

Uppercut

I don't mind the ball in the corner thing because it's so ineffective. Usually wastes about the same amount of time as you would by playing 2 passes.

cpr

International Coach
Was watching the U21's earlier, and Germany had a free kick to the left of the box in the 93rd min. 2-0, and they swung it in and attacked the header.

Reminded me of something I'd seen on my history from last year earlier this week, when the day after England had let Russia equalise in the last min at the Euro's, Germany defended their 1-0 lead over Ukraine by scoring in injury time. I have far more respect for a team that actually plays football until the end.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
In other news Brighton sign the Aussie national keeper. Any good? Not seen Aussies play for a while so have no idea, if he does as well as Schwarzer did over here then Brighton have a good one.
I rate him. Plays more like a sweeper-keeper - likes to come out and start the play.