• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guaranteed he won't see out the 4 year contract. Either sacked for doing no better than the previous managers or if he is a success snapped up by Liverpool to replace Klopp in a couple of years when he gets a job at a bigger club like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Guaranteed he won't see out the 4 year contract. Either sacked for doing no better than the previous managers or if he is a success snapped up by Liverpool to replace Klopp in a couple of years when he gets a job at a bigger club like Real Madrid or Barcelona.
I will be quite happy with the second scenario.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's a good move for Stevie. He's got room to breathe, doesn't have to go up against Liverpool and is actually at a big club to get used to managing high expectations. We'll see what he's made of.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think it's a good move for Stevie. He's got room to breathe , doesn't have to go up against Liverpool and is actually at a big club to get used to managing high expectations. We'll see what he's made of.
He categorically does not.

When it comes to football, Glasgow is a pressure cooker like no other in the UK.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If he has half the impact of the last ex Liverpool legend taking his first steps in management at Rangers then it'll be a fun 4 years.

We've needed a new Magnificent Bastard for quite a while. Gerrard absolutely has it in him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fair play Furball. Had in my head you didn’t like Gerrard so wasn’t sure you’d be happy.

I think it’s a great appointment. He’s bound to inspire players, you’re in a bit of a no lose situation at the minute and though I doubt you’ll get the calibre or players you did in the 90s he will definitely attract decent players. I look at when we had Aldridge in charge - we were an unattractive club but he had a track record as a player that made people think, yeah why not. You can escalate the reputation of the player and obviously the size of the club and I can see this working out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He was a great player, I just didn't rate him as highly as some of his contemporaries. Would have taken him at Arsenal (or indeed, although less realistically, at Rangers) in a heartbeat though.

On of the guys at work knows his agent and mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago that there might be something in the rumours. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

He's just got it. I don't know exactly what it is, but Gerrard has it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's also at least 25 years too late but I'm delighted that Gary McAllister will finally be at Rangers. Quite why we didn't sign him in the 90s is beyond me.

flibbertyjibber

If he has half the impact of the last ex Liverpool legend taking his first steps in management at Rangers then it'll be a fun 4 years.

We've needed a new Magnificent Bastard for quite a while. Gerrard absolutely has it in him.
Or alternatively he could have the same impact Gimps mate did at the other lot.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Or alternatively he could have the same impact Gimps mate did at the other lot.
Probably the perfect example of how you don't get time in Glasgow.

Barnes made loads of good signings at Celtic and had them playing some decent stuff. He was up against the best Rangers team of the last 25 years and had to deal with losing Larsson to a broken leg.

In the last 25 years I can only think of Walter Smith and Ally McCoist at Rangers, and Tommy Burns and Neil Lennon at Celtic who have survived not winning the title in their first season.

flibbertyjibber

Probably the perfect example of how you don't get time in Glasgow.

Barnes made loads of good signings at Celtic and had them playing some decent stuff. He was up against the best Rangers team of the last 25 years and had to deal with losing Larsson to a broken leg.

In the last 25 years I can only think of Walter Smith and Ally McCoist at Rangers, and Tommy Burns and Neil Lennon at Celtic who have survived not winning the title in their first season.
Rangers board need to come out and be open that they aren't expecting to win the league next season but want progress and the gap closing. It will take a miracle for Rangers to win the league next season even with the bunch of Liverpool kids they get on loan (Woodburn and Brewster probably for starters) as they just can't compete financially.

Guess Rangers best chance is if Brenda gets the Arsenal job and takes Tierney, Dembele and a couple of others with him but I can't see Arsenal appointing him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, but Souness had the not inconsiderable advantage of being able to pick himself. Plus the English players who were happy to go there due to English clubs' European ban.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Rangers board need to come out and be open that they aren't expecting to win the league next season but want progress and the gap closing. It will take a miracle for Rangers to win the league next season even with the bunch of Liverpool kids they get on loan (Woodburn and Brewster probably for starters) as they just can't compete financially.

Guess Rangers best chance is if Brenda gets the Arsenal job and takes Tierney, Dembele and a couple of others with him but I can't see Arsenal appointing him.
Celtic's points tally this season has been nothing special.

They've probably dropped loads of points due to complacency, but we've chucked away a stupid number of points that would have kept the gap respectable.

Plus, no-one associated with Rangers is ever going to publicly admit that we're settling for 2nd. Realistically I don't expect a title next season, but we haven't appointed Gerrard to close the gap. There's a whole bunch of losers within the British game we could have appointed if that was the limit of our ambition.

We're at pretty much the exact reverse of the position the clubs were in on and off the field relative to each other in 1995. Celtic were champions within 3 years. While the gap is big, it can be closed, and closed quickly under the right circumstances.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, but Souness had the not inconsiderable advantage of being able to pick himself. Plus the English players who were happy to go there due to English clubs' European ban.
Souness made 2 marquee signings in the summer of 86 in Woods and Butcher, but other than adding Graham Roberts around Christmas time, it was the same squad who finished 5th the season before who became champions. The money spent by Souness is overstated when it comes to how much he transformed the club in 1986.