• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lions tour of New Zealand 2017

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't see nearly as much of this game as I did last week's but I think on the whole both teams were a level below - or two in the case of the ABs, in no small part due to being a man down for the lion share.

Definte red IMO. The arguments have already been covered but regardless of the fact whether AW was on the way down and was already tackled, you can't go in the way SBW did and make contact witht he head in any circumstances under the current laws and expect to get away with it.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Level may have been slightly down, but given the conditions, it was still a cracking game for me, & one for the purists.

I'd picked the Lions to get up by 3 truth be told, and not just saying so after the event. Just felt with the series on the line, the wet conditions being a leveller, NZ having one to two too many injuries in crucial positions (full-back and hooker primarily), that the Lions were in with a royal chance.

Makes next week a stunning prospect now.

Happy for the Lions fans here in NZ in particular, they've been magnificent tourists.

I've never liked seeing the AB's lose, even in a dead rubber, but if there was ever a time frustration was coupled with some genuine joy for the opposition, it was last night.

Rock on next Saturday at Eden Park!

Last edited:

Zinzan

On the SBW send-off, you probably can't argue with the decision too much in the end, & the only defense I can come up with for SBW at a stretch is that he didn't wrap his arms around because he would have hit his fellow defender. But that is probably stretching it slightly.

Overall it's a great lesson for him that if he wants to risk that sort of play in a crucial game, he risks such an outcome.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's a shame Barrett is such an average goal kicker. He's fricken brilliant everywhere else. The chargedown recovery was amazing.

Flem274*

123/5
First ever All Black to be sent off in a home test, so the Beeb reports, anyway.

You're right though, I think most NZders have been admirably even handed in their assessment of it. It was a bad one, ref made the right call, credit to the Lions.

Hard nation to dislike.
dunno what you've been reading. facebook has exploded in crying about the ref, lead by the veitch on sport crowd.

Zinzan

dunno what you've been reading. facebook has exploded in crying about the ref, lead by the veitch on sport crowd.
Really? That's disappointing (yet not surprising) to hear. Brainless play by SBW, a reflex from the days league allowed the no-armed shoulder-charge no doubt.

As I said above, there's a smidgen of an argument to say he didn't wrap his arms around as that would have meant tackling his fellow defender, but only a smidgen. Either way it was probably fair enough & he would have been lucky had it only been a yellow.

Not complaints or sour grapes at all from this poster. Credit to the Lions.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I blocked the Veitchy On Sport page ages ago. I'd suggest every other right-minded person to do the same. Not only because of the quality of people his page attracts, but for his abhorrent victim complex any time his horrendous crime is brought up.

As for the SBW red, no qualms here. And let's be honest - SBW has history for ''neglecting'' to use the arms. 2011 RWC semi-final for starters.

Lions played the more enterprising game - yes, the one-man advantage certainly helped but they made all the play in the second 40.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dickheads gonna dickhead I suppose.

I was reading the Planet Rugby forum in the immediate aftermath, not a medium short of trenchant opinions, and most Kiwi posters seemed to be largely accepting of the call.

I see SoB has been cited for striking Noholo. If it's for the incident I'm thinking of I think the Lions will be looking for a new open side for the third test as he did look to have a little dig with his forearm.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd have started with McGrath ahead of Mako and any lock other than Wyn Jones (Lawes to start with Henderson on the bench as preference), but I can understand the thinking.

Just hope yer Loins can keep a lid on the penalties. Could (& arguably should) have cost them the second test.

Mike5181

International Captain
I've actually got tickets to the game, so there's a silver lining to last week's loss at least. Gutted Ben Smith isn't playing, though.

Zinzan

The prospect of a dry track at Eden park, i'd feel relatively confident NZ would win by 10 points. The prospect of conditions even worse than Wellington however, forecasted to be raining cats & dogs over the wkd, I give the Lions a royal chance.

_Ed_

The forecast has improved a little, now saying showers becoming more frequent. Fingers crossed.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The prospect of a dry track at Eden park, i'd feel relatively confident NZ would win by 10 points. The prospect of conditions even worse than Wellington however, forecasted to be raining cats & dogs over the wkd, I give the Lions a royal chance.
Really not that straightforward. NZ outmuscled the Lions in the first test and have done the majority of gut running and playing off the 9 in this series.