Thread: Sweden v England

Sweden v England

This is England's squad with the biggest surprise being goal keeper Robert Green of Norwich being called up.

Date: Wednesday 31 March
    Venue: Ullevi Stadium. Gothenberg
    Kick-off: 1945 BST

Sweden squad:
    Andreas Isaksson, Magnus Hedman, Magnus Kihlstedt, Christoffer Andersson, Mikael Dorsin, Erik Edman, Andreas Jakobsson, Teddy Lucic, Olof Mellberg, Johan Mjallby, Michael Svensson, Marcus Allback, Anders Andersson, Johan Elmander, Pontus Farnerud, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Mattias Jonson, Kim Kallstrom, Tobias Linderoth, Fredrik Ljungberg, Mikael Nilsson, Anders Svensson, Christian Wilhelmsson.

For England Jlloyd Samuel, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jermain Defoe, and Alan Thompson are called for the first time.

Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Michael Owen, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard have been rested for the game.

My predictation: England 2-0.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Oops. Craig forgot to post the England squad.

David James (Man City), Paul Robinson (Leeds), Ian Walker (Leicester), Robert Green (Norwich); Danny Mills (Leeds/Mboro), Phil Neville (Man Utd), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Jlloyd Samuel (Aston Villa); John Terry (Chelsea), Jonathan Woodgate (Newcastle), Gareth Southgate (M'boro), Anthony Gardner (Tottenham); David Beckham (Real Madrid), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Nicky Butt (Man Utd), Jermaine Jenas (Newcastle), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Chelsea), Alan Thompson (Celtic); Emile Heskey (Liverpool), Darius Vassell (Aston Villa), Alan Smith (Leeds), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Wayne Rooney (Everton).
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!

Re: Sweden v England

Originally posted by Craig
    Sweden squad:
    Andreas Isaksson, Magnus Hedman, Magnus Kihlstedt, Christoffer Andersson, Mikael Dorsin, Erik Edman, Andreas Jakobsson, Teddy Lucic, Olof Mellberg, Johan Mjallby, Michael Svensson, Marcus Allback, Anders Andersson, Johan Elmander, Pontus Farnerud, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Mattias Jonson, Kim Kallstrom, Tobias Linderoth, Fredrik Ljungberg, Mikael Nilsson, Anders Svensson, Christian Wilhelmsson.
    Both of these used to play for my local club (whom I don't cheer for because they're the local version of Fulham). Wilhelmsson went to Anderlecht, Linderoth to Everton IIRC. They are decent players, but nowhere near English stars.

I'd pick for Sweden: Hedman - Edman, Mellberg, Lucic, Jakobsson - Ljungberg, Elmander (offensive midfielder), Linderoth (defensive), Källström - Zlatan, Jonson.

Swedish defense is very weak at the moment - probably the reason why half the English team is rested. Still can't shake the notion that this looks very much like a B match...
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Linderoth went from Elfsborg (Swe) to Everton - before that he was at Stabaek (Nor) - that'd be the one?

Originally posted by luckyeddie
    Linderoth went from Elfsborg (Swe) to Everton - before that he was at Stabaek (Nor) - that'd be the one?
    Correct. Never set the world alight here - we have had better players in the league - but he was one of the better midfielders at $tabæk.

Oops. Craig forgot to post the England squad.

David James (Man City), Paul Robinson (Leeds), Ian Walker (Leicester), Robert Green (Norwich); Danny Mills (Leeds/Mboro), Phil Neville (Man Utd), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Jlloyd Samuel (Aston Villa); John Terry (Chelsea), Jonathan Woodgate (Newcastle), Gareth Southgate (M'boro), Anthony Gardner (Tottenham); David Beckham (Real Madrid), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Nicky Butt (Man Utd), Jermaine Jenas (Newcastle), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Chelsea), Alan Thompson (Celtic); Emile Heskey (Liverpool), Darius Vassell (Aston Villa), Alan Smith (Leeds), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Wayne Rooney (Everton).
    Four goal keepers in an interesting move indeed. I dont think Walker is good enough and Robinson should be 1st choice.

My side (4-4-2):

Robinson

Mills-Southgate-Terry-Samuel

Beckham-Gerrard-Hargreaves-Thompson

Defoe-Rooney

Dont think much of Heskey and I think Thompson will be the best man to play on the leftside of the midfield.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Correct. Never set the world alight here - we have had better players in the league - but he was one of the better midfielders at $tabæk.
    What's CM 97/98 legend Tommy Svindel Larsen like?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Originally posted by marc71178
    What's CM 97/98 legend Tommy Svindel Larsen like?
    He's moved to Nürnberg, in the Germand 2nd division (and it's Svindal). kicker seem to rate him - he averages 3,27 out of 6 on their ratings, where 1 is best, and he's 12th-best midfielder in the 2nd Bundesliga. He's played 15 national games, but has never been that excellent playmaker Norway have sorely needed for their midfield, and has been dropped quite a few times (only to be taken back when the midfield crisis is too great). $tabæk have always been famed for their midfielders, which have had flair and technique quite superior to most other teams, but they've never actually putting them away when it counts (apart from a Cup final four years ago.

If a Norwegian (Samuel Vimes) talks about English football, shouldn't he be quoting the late, great Bjorge Lillelien?

"Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Winston Churchill! Henry Cooper! Clement Atlee! Anthony Eden! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Your boys took one hell of a beating."

Or something.

(note : no references to fish in that)

Still the greatest football sound-bite I have ever heard - and ever likely to.

If a Norwegian (Samuel Vimes) talks about English football, shouldn't he be quoting the late, great Bjorge Lillelien?

"Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Winston Churchill! Henry Cooper! Clement Atlee! Anthony Eden! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Your boys took one hell of a beating."

Or something.

(note : no references to fish in that)

Still the greatest football sound-bite I have ever heard - and ever likely to.
    I believe that is an exact quote. And yes, the average Norwegian would have heard that about 30, 40 times in his life...we do have a tendency to live on past victories (on account of there being nothing else)

You left out "Vi er best i verden", though. (I'll leave that for you to translate - it is perhaps a wee bit exaggerated, considering Norway were third in the group at the time)

Edit: I'm kind. Here's the link

About two minutes of Lillelien greatness. Note, you need Windows Media Player to play it...
    Last edited by Samuel_Vimes; 28-03-2004 at 08:39 AM.

PY
    That is an absolute classic. . Completely crazy until he starts spouting names in English then suddenly he just says "You boys took a hell of a beating".

Legendary.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Absolutely wonderful. The first time I heard it was a day or two after the game itself when it was played on BBC1. Then, of course, it disappeared, only to reappear on such shows as 'A Question of Sport' or to be wheeled out every four years when World Cup qualification time came round again. Ah, life without the internet was a lonely place indeed.

Thread Information