• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sweden v England

Craig

World Traveller
This is England's squad with the biggest surprise being goal keeper Robert Green of Norwich being called up.

Date: Wednesday 31 March
Venue: Ullevi Stadium. Gothenberg
Kick-off: 1945 BST

Sweden squad:
Andreas Isaksson, Magnus Hedman, Magnus Kihlstedt, Christoffer Andersson, Mikael Dorsin, Erik Edman, Andreas Jakobsson, Teddy Lucic, Olof Mellberg, Johan Mjallby, Michael Svensson, Marcus Allback, Anders Andersson, Johan Elmander, Pontus Farnerud, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Mattias Jonson, Kim Kallstrom, Tobias Linderoth, Fredrik Ljungberg, Mikael Nilsson, Anders Svensson, Christian Wilhelmsson.

For England Jlloyd Samuel, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jermain Defoe, and Alan Thompson are called for the first time.

Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Michael Owen, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard have been rested for the game.

My predictation: England 2-0.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oops. Craig forgot to post the England squad.

David James (Man City), Paul Robinson (Leeds), Ian Walker (Leicester), Robert Green (Norwich); Danny Mills (Leeds/Mboro), Phil Neville (Man Utd), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Jlloyd Samuel (Aston Villa); John Terry (Chelsea), Jonathan Woodgate (Newcastle), Gareth Southgate (M'boro), Anthony Gardner (Tottenham); David Beckham (Real Madrid), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Nicky Butt (Man Utd), Jermaine Jenas (Newcastle), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Chelsea), Alan Thompson (Celtic); Emile Heskey (Liverpool), Darius Vassell (Aston Villa), Alan Smith (Leeds), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Wayne Rooney (Everton).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Craig said:
Sweden squad:
Andreas Isaksson, Magnus Hedman, Magnus Kihlstedt, Christoffer Andersson, Mikael Dorsin, Erik Edman, Andreas Jakobsson, Teddy Lucic, Olof Mellberg, Johan Mjallby, Michael Svensson, Marcus Allback, Anders Andersson, Johan Elmander, Pontus Farnerud, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Mattias Jonson, Kim Kallstrom, Tobias Linderoth, Fredrik Ljungberg, Mikael Nilsson, Anders Svensson, Christian Wilhelmsson.
Both of these used to play for my local club (whom I don't cheer for because they're the local version of Fulham). Wilhelmsson went to Anderlecht, Linderoth to Everton IIRC. They are decent players, but nowhere near English stars.

I'd pick for Sweden: Hedman - Edman, Mellberg, Lucic, Jakobsson - Ljungberg, Elmander (offensive midfielder), Linderoth (defensive), Källström - Zlatan, Jonson.

Swedish defense is very weak at the moment - probably the reason why half the English team is rested. Still can't shake the notion that this looks very much like a B match...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linderoth went from Elfsborg (Swe) to Everton - before that he was at Stabaek (Nor) - that'd be the one?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:
Linderoth went from Elfsborg (Swe) to Everton - before that he was at Stabaek (Nor) - that'd be the one?
Correct. Never set the world alight here - we have had better players in the league - but he was one of the better midfielders at $tabæk.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Oops. Craig forgot to post the England squad.

David James (Man City), Paul Robinson (Leeds), Ian Walker (Leicester), Robert Green (Norwich); Danny Mills (Leeds/Mboro), Phil Neville (Man Utd), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Jlloyd Samuel (Aston Villa); John Terry (Chelsea), Jonathan Woodgate (Newcastle), Gareth Southgate (M'boro), Anthony Gardner (Tottenham); David Beckham (Real Madrid), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Nicky Butt (Man Utd), Jermaine Jenas (Newcastle), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Chelsea), Alan Thompson (Celtic); Emile Heskey (Liverpool), Darius Vassell (Aston Villa), Alan Smith (Leeds), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Wayne Rooney (Everton).
Four goal keepers in an interesting move indeed. I dont think Walker is good enough and Robinson should be 1st choice.

My side (4-4-2):

Robinson

Mills-Southgate-Terry-Samuel

Beckham-Gerrard-Hargreaves-Thompson

Defoe-Rooney

Dont think much of Heskey and I think Thompson will be the best man to play on the leftside of the midfield.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Samuel_Vimes said:
Correct. Never set the world alight here - we have had better players in the league - but he was one of the better midfielders at $tabæk.
What's CM 97/98 legend Tommy Svindel Larsen like?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
What's CM 97/98 legend Tommy Svindel Larsen like?
He's moved to Nürnberg, in the Germand 2nd division (and it's Svindal). kicker seem to rate him - he averages 3,27 out of 6 on their ratings, where 1 is best, and he's 12th-best midfielder in the 2nd Bundesliga. He's played 15 national games, but has never been that excellent playmaker Norway have sorely needed for their midfield, and has been dropped quite a few times (only to be taken back when the midfield crisis is too great). $tabæk have always been famed for their midfielders, which have had flair and technique quite superior to most other teams, but they've never actually putting them away when it counts (apart from a Cup final four years ago.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If a Norwegian (Samuel Vimes) talks about English football, shouldn't he be quoting the late, great Bjorge Lillelien?

"Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Winston Churchill! Henry Cooper! Clement Atlee! Anthony Eden! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Your boys took one hell of a beating."

Or something.

(note : no references to fish in that)

Still the greatest football sound-bite I have ever heard - and ever likely to.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:
If a Norwegian (Samuel Vimes) talks about English football, shouldn't he be quoting the late, great Bjorge Lillelien?

"Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Winston Churchill! Henry Cooper! Clement Atlee! Anthony Eden! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Your boys took one hell of a beating."

Or something.

(note : no references to fish in that)

Still the greatest football sound-bite I have ever heard - and ever likely to.
I believe that is an exact quote. And yes, the average Norwegian would have heard that about 30, 40 times in his life...we do have a tendency to live on past victories (on account of there being nothing else)

You left out "Vi er best i verden", though. (I'll leave that for you to translate - it is perhaps a wee bit exaggerated, considering Norway were third in the group at the time)

Edit: I'm kind. Here's the link

About two minutes of Lillelien greatness. Note, you need Windows Media Player to play it...

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
That is an absolute classic. :lol:. Completely crazy until he starts spouting names in English then suddenly he just says "You boys took a hell of a beating".

Legendary. :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Absolutely wonderful. The first time I heard it was a day or two after the game itself when it was played on BBC1. Then, of course, it disappeared, only to reappear on such shows as 'A Question of Sport' or to be wheeled out every four years when World Cup qualification time came round again. Ah, life without the internet was a lonely place indeed.