• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why oh why

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sooo practising in the nets tonight, some guy belts the ball back at me, i stick out a hand to stop the ball hitting me in the chest and as a result I have now completed only one season without breaking my left thumb :!( :!( :!(

Who was the smartarse who invented the cricket ball???

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Sooo practising in the nets tonight, some guy belts the ball back at me, i stick out a hand to stop the ball hitting me in the chest and as a result I have now completed only one season without breaking my left thumb :!( :!( :!(

Who was the smartarse who invented the cricket ball???
Are you left-handed?

No?

Nothing to worry about then. You can still bowl. Field at fine leg, use your bottom hand only for batting - there you go. Matthew Hoggard Mk. II.

(I write these words of wisdom from 200 yards down the road from Headingley (I'm at my daughter's flat tonight)

Cloete

International Captain
how ironic.... i severly jarred my left thumb today and it hurts like mad to just move it :(

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Ive broken my left thumb more times (five) than sixes I have hit (three)... (And my batting average is 22)
I have hit more sixes than you!!!:D

You have my sympathies, me having done it 2 weeks ago.

I know how bloody painful it is! :!(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meh!

My best was 5 breaks and 2 dislocations at the same time - slipped going for a caught-and-bowled and fell on my hand.

To be precise, I fell on the 3rd and 4th fingers of my right hand. Put the dislocations back myself, left the field and put a soaked wicket-keeping inner glove on before returning to the field.

We 'ad it tough.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I may not have broken my bones alot (I drink alot of milk) but you will find it hard to beat this story:

At the Age of four after breaking my arm from jumping off a big 'mock' boat at the kindergarden playground I had my arm in a cast for several months. The night of getting my cast off my parents took me to Hungry Jack's (Burger King) to celebrate getting my cast off. After finishing my meal I proceeded to play in the play area. After several minutes of playing my father said it was time to go home, I asked for one more turn on the slippery slide and was granted that wish from my father. In my haste to get another go on the slide, I slipped on the tiles and broke my arm in the very same spot!

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
now that is just cruelty at its worst. how unlucky could you be. was it cause it hadnt repaired properly or was it just pure unluckiness?

Earlier this season i broke the head of 5 meta carpel (spelling) in 3 spots. was spose to be out of cricket for at least 6 weeks as it was my right hand, bowling catching ect. But i recovered fast and was back out there with it still half broken, heavilly taped after 3 weeks. Lost all confidence, wasnt too keen on hitting rising balls in case it happened to hit my hand.

Good luck with it all lang. hope it recovers quickly for ya.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
I have hit more sixes than you!!!:D

You have my sympathies, me having done it 2 weeks ago.

I know how bloody painful it is! :!(
You've never hit a six, you're a 4 foot pigme how the hell do you expect to hit a six

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im back netting already, batting very loosely with bottom hand completely dominant!! , but bowling is no problem... I wont be catching anything for a while though!

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
Meh!

My best was 5 breaks and 2 dislocations at the same time - slipped going for a caught-and-bowled and fell on my hand.

To be precise, I fell on the 3rd and 4th fingers of my right hand. Put the dislocations back myself, left the field and put a soaked wicket-keeping inner glove on before returning to the field.

We 'ad it tough.

Hehe our opening bowler did the same last season... He was fielding in the covers, did possibly the worst dive i have ever seen and ended up falling over his right arm and loads of fingers... Looked absolutely awful... Out for the season too...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Hehe our opening bowler did the same last season... He was fielding in the covers, did possibly the worst dive i have ever seen and ended up falling over his right arm and loads of fingers... Looked absolutely awful... Out for the season too...
Yup.

I went to the hoss pickle after doing mine (the next day IIRC - I was convinced only of the dislocations) I was quite impressed when they showed me the X-rays. "Gnarly! Did I do that? Cooool" or words more 1970's-ish.

I was out for the season too, but as the game was back-endish anyway I didn't miss much cricket.

It was awkward driving with three fingers strapped together. Maybe I should have used a 3-iron off the tee.:D