• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official" NRL Tips discussion thread

nibbs

International Captain
ROFLMAO

Blewy. The Tigers have brought in some new players, but I can't really see where they've made any improvement. They were crap against the Sharks. It was a terrible game, and they were just lucky that the Sharks were craper. When you refer to depth in the Tiger squad, what depth are you on about? I can't see it, just like I can't see them making the 8. I'm sorry, but they just wont.

Bulldogs surprised me for sure. Good on 'em. But when they lose 8 players to jail, they'll turn to crap for sure.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate they have brought in players with experience.. They also have the best juniors out of the whole competition in the waiting...

You bag us out over our performance from last night and yes it wasn't pretty, however look at it like this...

Half our side is new, therefore have played a minimal amount of time to gel. We played a team with a host of Rep players, Kimmorley(The current Aust Half), Bailey(Aust Rep), Stevens(Aust Rep), Peachey(NSW Rep), Beattie(QLD Rep), McGoldrick(Former Waratah), as well as Bird who is being tipped by a few to be a futrure star..

Now Add to that Cronulla are "supposedly" going to be BIG improvers this year according to all the experts, Now we held them to 1 try(which was a dodgy Vid Ref call) and we dominated them most of the game. The ground was **** which made the game slow and look very ordinary, and on top of that the humidity was extreme and caused the ball to be very slipery..

Further more we were without a few of our BEST players, in Marshall, Richards(Best in Pre-Season), Payten, and Laffranchi(Last Seasons POY)..

So before you go bagging everyone else's side why don't you take of your Kiwi glasses and have a look at your own, I believe you guys got belted a few weeks back by a Penrith side who couldn't beat Newcastle....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nibbs

International Captain
We lost to Penrith in Pre Season. But that was pre season. We didn't have players like Jones playing. Pre season is just that. The Tigers lost to the Eels who got Belted by the Bulldogs, so does that mean the Tigers will get belted by the Bulldogs? I doubt it.

The Warriors have the best Juniors going for sure. If you look at some of the players we have coming through at the moment and that we have had come through, its just a testiment to that.

Cronulla wont improve. They are just crap, but for a couple of good players, that you've mentioned. They have no depth, like the Tigers and they just wont shine this year.

My main issue with the Tigers is that they seem to lack good attacking options. Marshall looks good, but this season he wont be the surprise package he was last season. He'll be a target and it wont be so easy for him. Other than him I don't think the Tigers have very good halves. The foward pack is ok, but I can't see much depth coming from the bench. I think players like Sattler are best their best now. The Tigers might surprise a few, but making the 8 will be a tough ask for them this season.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
nibblet said:
We lost to Penrith in Pre Season. But that was pre season. We didn't have players like Jones playing. Pre season is just that. The Tigers lost to the Eels who got Belted by the Bulldogs, so does that mean the Tigers will get belted by the Bulldogs? I doubt it.
Yeah i agree that pre-season form means nothing, but you don't have a win on the board yet, and all you have to go off is that...

The Warriors have the best Juniors going for sure. If you look at some of the players we have coming through at the moment and that we have had come through, its just a testiment to that.
Mate i would doubt what the warriors have...
In the Tigers ranks we have 10 Junior Internationals, 5 Australian Schoolboys, 2 Australian U/19's and 3 Junior Kiwis..
Making comments on things that you don't know is ridiculous.

Cronulla wont improve. They are just crap, but for a couple of good players, that you've mentioned. They have no depth, like the Tigers and they just wont shine this year.
The tigers have plenty of depth, look at some of the players playing in premier league, Luke Covell (Last season tipped as the next huge pointscorer), Gray Viane(Top player who was killing it in the NRL before getting injured), Ben Galea(Played Rep footy last year), Rob Farah(Top class youngster who played extremely well in debut last season), Bronson Harrison(one of the Junior Kiwis), Ken McGuiness(I will get laughed at for this But he has played for NSW before and in the pre season was one of the Tigers best), and Dean Collis( Another Junior Rep who played great in his debut last season)

Add to this the guys who are due back from injury soon and there is plenty of depth....

My main issue with the Tigers is that they seem to lack good attacking options. Marshall looks good, but this season he wont be the surprise package he was last season. He'll be a target and it wont be so easy for him. Other than him I don't think the Tigers have very good halves. The foward pack is ok, but I can't see much depth coming from the bench. I think players like Sattler are best their best now. The Tigers might surprise a few, but making the 8 will be a tough ask for them this season.
Do you expect a team to gel in a couple of games... This was only Scott Prince's 2nd game since leaving the Broncos last season, We all remember him at the Cowboys and how devastating he was in a ordinary side a few years back, Ben Reynolds played a few 1st Grade games for Penrith last season and performed admirably... Mate i suggest you start looking outside the Warriors and NZ shell you live in, Everything you comment on NZ is better.. Next you will be saying NZ is the best in the world at AFL...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As good as the Tigers played (I was very impressed) had they have played a team that could have converted their chances, say The Bulldogs or Warriors, I think they would have been beaten by a good 20. The Tigers defense was very good in the first half, but in the second they looked to be tiring and the Sharks had plenty of opportunities to put points on the board but didn't convert. But in saying all that, these were the games the Tigers have lost in previous years. They have more positives to take out of the game than negatives. Wheras the Sharks...

The Cowboys thew away two points, they had the game sewn up at half time, looks like same-old-same-old for the Cowboys.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Nibblet looks like my 'CRAPPY" Tigers are above your "BRILLIANT" Warriors on the ladder...

Next you'll be trying to tell me that the team at the bottom of the ladder is actually the winner, Well guess what your almost there...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
stick that up your **** kiwis!!!
Broncos are better than people think this season, i would be very disapointed if we arent there on grand final - and very suprised.

Mister Wright

Hey Nibs, if you have any problems finding a Bronco's logo for your new avatar just let me know...

HAHAHA!

nibbs

International Captain
no worries with avatar Mister Wright. its all good.

Broncos played better than I thought. They still have a good team, and they should do pretty good. I underestimated them due to what I have read in the paper. Peter Jessop, as I've been told it crap and not worth reading when concerning league. The Broncos have got together the worst squad they have ever assembled but it is stilla good one.

Basically their props were too good for us. If the Warriors have one area where they are lacking depth its in the props. With Villasanti and Seuseu out I think we were shown up a bit, as Mark Tookey made it in the team. Paela'aesina and Temata had good games, though.

Blewy, had the Warriors played the Sharks and the Tigers played the Broncos we'd be ahead of you for sure. Its just a matter of time before we pass you, a matter of time............

I'll give the Tigers a chance. You never know I guess. Last season I wrote off the Panthers, and look what happened. They might prove me wrong, but until they start beating sides the good sides week after week, I find it hard to consider them for the top 8.

NZ will never be the best at AFL. AFL is a really change thing. There are some random garys who play it, but very few. If NZ did become the best at it, it would be a sad day for NZ.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Funny you say about the Warriors lacking props, they have told Mark Tookey he can negotiate with other teams...

Mate i just think you shoot your mouth off at everyone before you give them a chance......
Did it with the Bronco's, and the Tigers, and as i said before the warriors have done nothing to prove they will be a quality side this season, so far they lost to, St George, Parramatta, and Penrith in Trials, all teams who lost in Round 1 and add to that the Broncos...

Interesting that....

nibbs

International Captain
Last season we lost most of our trails as well. We then lost our opening game to the Knights. The season is only one round old, I'm not worried.

The Tigers were beaten in both of their trials, including one against Souths. They then had a scrappy win against one of the leagues weaker sides. Does this suggest they are about to have one of their best season for years???

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well to add to that we also smashed UK side Widness 50-4, now considering the Tigers usually win their Trial games and go ordinary in the season maybe it is a sign...

But i am just saying that all the teams the warriors lost to also lost last weekend... Your team has done Nothing as yet to allow you to shoot your mouth off at other sides... When they do then shoot all you want.. But have backup...

nibbs

International Captain
Widness??????????????????

I guess your right to an extent Blewy. My views come mainly from the fact that the Warriors squad is made up of players who nearly got us to the final last season. And as far as I know its not all that often that teams who retain the bulk of such sides, turn to crap the next season. The Tigers line up is new and untested. When they set the world on fire, I guess you can say what you want.

At the end of the day Blewy, we're both very passionate and loyal to our sides. We've got high hopes and dreams for them, so I guess its quite easy for us both to get carried away from time to time when it comes to such matters.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
nibblet said:
My views come mainly from the fact that the Warriors squad is made up of players who nearly got us to the final last season. And as far as I know its not all that often that teams who retain the bulk of such sides, turn to crap the next season.
Well a perfect example is the Parra side of 2001, they made the GF however look at them since then, they have struggled to make the semis each year.. It can happen.....
Complacency is the big word....
The Warriors IMO last season thought they had to just turn up to make the GF again.... Won't happen...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sharks are another to go from a premiership force to a whole lot of nothing.

having said that, i did tip the warriors to win the minor premiership and i think they still will. Their team is pretty impressive with no weaknesses.

However if stacey jones plays like he did against brisbane on the weekend they will prolly just make the 8.

As for the tigers, if they finish 10th they should consider it a successful season.

nibbs

International Captain
Jones still had his moments against the Broncos. Remember he hasn't played since our defeat against Penrith in the prelimenary final last year. He didn't feature in any of ours trails and its wont be long before he hits form.

Remember the Warriors aren't a one man side like Newcastle. We don't solely rely on Jones to do everything for us. We have good second rowers in Laua'atiti and Faumuina, both capale of creating breaks. We have a good side all around the park, with match winners in many different positions.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright's round 2 tips.

Season tally: 4/7

Raiders v Panthers

I'm going Raiders for this one. They are tough to beat at home and with Shifcofske showing his dangerous attacking abilities early in the season he will be hard to keep out of the game. Penrith will be hurting fromt heir first round lost and will want to win this one to keep the talk of not being able to back up 2003 away, they are more than capable of winning this one.

Bulldogs v Sharks

I can't see the Sharks winning this one, they struggled against the Tigers last week and the Bulldogs were dynamic.

Sea Eagles v Roosters

Roosters should get a roasting from Stuart this week and will put in a much better performance this week.

Warriors v Dragons

Once again this match will depend on which team is going to turn up to play. Had the Warriors not dropped so much ball last week they would have had a chance of beating the Broncos and they will be almost impossible to beat at home. The question all Dragons' supporters will be asking - will our team turn up to play this week? because if they do they could be a chance, but I can't see it.

Broncos v Eels

Broncos have another home game and looked good last week, the Eels are in turmoil and will want to do a 'Bulldogs' on the Broncos. Eels always turn up to play against the Broncos.

Storm v Knights

Storm's first game of the season and might be a little rusty. Knights looked good in round 1 and should be to good for the Storm.

Souths v Tigers

Tigers will want to be on their game this week, because if they played like they did last week, and Souths do too, they might find the Rabbits a tough opponent. Although I think the Tigers will have too much (can't believe they left Elford out of the 17 after such an impressive game).

Bye: Cowboys

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:

Souths v Tigers

Tigers will want to be on their game this week, because if they played like they did last week, and Souths do too, they might find the Rabbits a tough opponent. Although I think the Tigers will have too much (can't believe they left Elford out of the 17 after such an impressive game).

Elford is out injured...

This is a danger game for us, out of our last 5 games vs South's they have the head to head 4-1, however the win we did have was a 50-4 flogging and all thier wins have been within 4 points...

I think the boys will do it...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:

Season tally: 4/7

Raiders v Panthers
Bulldogs v Sharks
Sea Eagles v Roosters
Warriors v Dragons
Broncos v Eels
Storm v Knights
Souths v Tigers
Bye: Cowboys

im tipping the panthers to get up after losing last week, but only just... agree with the rest