• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We normally have an olympics subbie here, I guess the lack of one this close sums up the disinterest from many of us

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even Pele wasn't interested enough to turn up at the opening ceremony.

Who lit the cauldron? I heard it was going to be Gustavo Kuerton. Surely a country as big as Brazil has a second best sportsperson better than him? Fmd be like Gautum Gambhir lighting the flame at a Delhi Olympics or Tony Dodemaide doing it in Sydney.

_Ed_

Vanderlei de Lima. The bloke who got rugby tackled by an Irish priest while doing the Athens Marathon.
Had a decent lead at the time, too, didn't he?

I thought it was a good ceremony - much lower budget than something like Beijing, but they did alright.

The standing ovation for the Refugee Olympic Team was amazing.

Daemon

Opening ceremonies are usually the worst but I love watching the athletes stream in for the Olympics. Takes hours but it's nice to see people who've put countless hours of effort into getting there look so happy.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
**** you guys crapping on the Olympics. They are awesome.

Been enjoying the archery. Indonesia did so well to reach the quarters.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I love the Olympics, but can't stand how the IOC basically requires countries to bankrupt themselves in order to have the honor of hosting. I know, nobodies forcing them, but the sheer waste involved with building all these space-age stadiums that will only end up being repurposed as import warehouses in 6 months time really sticks in my craw. Also the continuous expansion of the program is getting just stupid now. Should be athletics, swimming, gymnastics, cycling, rowing, hockey and those other events where the games represent the historical pinnacle of the sport. Golf, Tennis, Sevens, Football and all that other superfluous **** can **** off.

Still looking forward to the next two weeks. Really love the gymnastics and the track events in particular.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah, that's the other thing I can't stand about the Olympics: the medal table. If you wanna rank countries within the individual broader athletic disciplines like swimming, athletics, etc then that's OK, at least you're comparing like with like. But taking a gold medal in the 100m sprints and treating it as worth the exact same as a gold medal in the synchronised swimming or some such **** is just so stopid.

vcs

Yeah, they have an event with dancing horses as well, don't they? :laugh:

Also find it a bit laughable that you can rake in truckloads of medals in swimming.