• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

cpr

International Coach
Wait, Russia are allowed in, but Stepanova isn't?

What's Russian for 'Big brown envelope'?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd be highly surprised if this Olympics ends with at least half of the athletes not being robbed or murdered.
Apart from Jo'burg, Rio is easily the dodgiest city I've ever been to from a safety POV. Never, ever felt safe there. Beautiful city to look at, seedy as **** at ground level.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
See your opening sentence, how much of that do you reckon would be down to a lack of variety in televised live sport?
Definitely plays a part as there isnt much of a novelty value attached to seeing great athletes perform anymore

As an example, I watched Bolt run live on the weekend and the US basketball team play yesterday

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Wait, Russia are allowed in, but Stepanova isn't?

What's Russian for 'Big brown envelope'?
Yeah that's a bit dodgy.

(However, Stepanova hobbling a 2.30 800m wouldn't be great optics...she's not fit to run)

Look I probably rationally agree that the IOC, having awarded the Games to Sochi, need to take some accountability for that and follow their own rules. At the same time the pharma culture of athletes isn't just confined to Russia (see Sharapova who has basically been running her operation out of Florida) and it's that that needs to "change" if anything.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently the fire in the village was set by workers in the basement who then went through the athletes' rooms and rifled them for cash and other goodies while the occupants were evacuated.

They should get the first gold of the Games imo.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Budd/Decker reunion is all a bit too lovey dovey. It's almost as if they've discovered they had the same biological mother.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Don't care too much for the nationalism but I always found the Olympics fun to watch for the sports you'd rarely see on TV, and learning the new countries you'd never heard of (this was when I was a kid).

Plus the Olympics video games for SNES and PS1 were always solid af, though I can't say the same of recent times.