• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players who have failed to push on

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
There is nothing that can be said that is good about England. The entire team and set-up are a shambles.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Walcott a bit of a hype victim for mine. He was generally pretty good but only ever attracted criticism for not being even better. Suppose it's what happens when you don't win anything.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A reasonably talented, but ultimately completely one dimensional, player imo. Extremely reliant on one or two key attributes (i.e. being very fast and a pretty decent finisher). Take those away and you've not really got much left.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose the hype about Walcott all boiled down to that one match in Croatia.

I would suggest that there are less talented players who have achieved more, for whatever reasons.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we forgive Ross Barkley now that he has become a grizzled veteran you can count on for FA Cup goals for Chelsea?

And surely except for the occasional sitter Sterling is now a decent to great Wing Forward

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbh even in 2016 I don't think Sterling was a worthy inclusion on these sorts of lists

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tbh even in 2016 I don't think Sterling was a worthy inclusion on these sorts of lists
No, he was more like your chum, Mr Barnes; great for his club but not transferring that form to the international game.

Raheem has clearly overcome this in a way Johnny Boy, save that goal against Brazil and the cameo v the Argentine in the 86 QF, never quite did.

Uppercut

No, he was more like your chum, Mr Barnes; great for his club but not transferring that form to the international game.

Raheem has clearly overcome this in a way Johnny Boy, save that goal against Brazil and the cameo v the Argentine in the 86 QF, never quite did.
He was 21 though. Even attaching this kind of narrative to him was ridiculously premature.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He was 21 though. Even attaching this kind of narrative to him was ridiculously premature.
Probably true enough, but there's a strong case to be made that other English prodigies like Owen and Rooney had already peaked, at least as international players, by that age.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Daniel Sturridge and Jesse Lingard spring to mind.
John Stones the other obvious contender.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Probably true enough, but there's a strong case to be made that other English prodigies like Owen and Rooney had already peaked, at least as international players, by that age.
Sure, but you also have players like Shearer who didn't debut until 22.

Rooney's best performances coming in 2004 is a bit incidental. He was clearly injured in 2006 and 2010 and they didn't make it to Euro 2008. In 2012 he was suspended for the first two games and had become more of a poacher anyway. By 2014 he was badly over the hill and shouldn't have been in the team.

flibbertyjibber

There is nothing that can be said that is good about England. The entire team and set-up are a shambles.
Things have changed a bit since this was said and it is one of the few things he ever got right. As Pothas says above, we have never had so many good young players.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure he got that right though. Southgate had been in charge for a year when he posted it.