• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players who have failed to push on

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Jermaine Pennant and Kieran Richardson surely. Richardson was even supposed to be a striker at some point

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely Rooney. To say he didn't have the potential to be a great just because he's a different player to Messi or Ronaldo is rubbish.

He could actually run at people and shoot effectively with either foot from outside the box in the early 2000s. He was strong, not great pace but enough to go past defenders. France's defence couldn't handle him in 2004. When has he ever done that since? His slow motion run in the FA Cup a couple of months ago is about it. He became more of a finisher and lost the ability to terrorise defences.

Ronaldo and Bale both developed to be great in the air, they developed their ball striking - long range and free kicks. No reason Rooney couldn't have done those things. Instead his first touch has remained atrocious, he's got slower and slower, his long range shooting next to nonexistent now.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely Rooney. To say he didn't have the potential to be a great just because he's a different player to Messi or Ronaldo is rubbish.

He could actually run at people and shoot effectively with either foot from outside the box in the early 2000s. He was strong, not great pace but enough to go past defenders. France's defence couldn't handle him in 2004. When has he ever done that since? His slow motion run in the FA Cup a couple of months ago is about it. He became more of a finisher and lost the ability to terrorise defences.

Ronaldo and Bale both developed to be great in the air, they developed their ball striking - long range and free kicks. No reason Rooney couldn't have done those things. Instead his first touch has remained atrocious, he's got slower and slower, his long range shooting next to nonexistent now.
I'm goig to split hairs and say Ronaldo's heading ability was already mostly developed even when he was coming out of his teens (See the Carling Cup Final header against Cardiff City). His being used as a winger in The United system just minimized his opportunities to deploy it on a regular basis

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I distinctly remember Rooney being talked of in the same bracket Messi and Ronald in the mid 00s which seems laughable now. He actually probably was ahead of Ronaldo at one stage; Rooney seemed to peak early (and in a Manchester shirt) then just go backwards to a basically incredibly average player.

King Pietersen

International Captain

2004 Rooney was absolutely unreal. One of the most exciting young talents I've ever seen, he had everything. Felt like something was going to happen everytime he picked the ball up.

Ravel Morrison has to be included here. Everyone that's managed him says he's one of the most naturally gifted talents they've seen, yet constant off the field issues and lack of professionalism have plagued him wherever he's been. Such a shame.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Stones is holding his hand up now. Really looked the business for the Toffees at the tail end of 15/16, like a Rio Ferdinand with actual spatial awareness, but seems really pedestrian just now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think Stones is holding his hand up now. Really looked the business for the Toffees at the tail end of 15/16, like a Rio Ferdinand with actual spatial awareness, but seems really pedestrian just now.
TBH I'd have said the literal opposite. I think 15/16 was probably his worst season, in and out of one of the league's worst defences, whereas this season's he's looked quite good (as opposed to just "clearly has potential") for the first time.

Bahseph

State Captain
Been an Arsenal fan my whole life, and when Wenger signed Walcott I honestly thought we had another Henry on our hands. Oh how wrong I was. He literally just had pace. I say "had" because I don't think he even has that going for him now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Out of a passing discussion in one of the euros threads; English players who were highly rated in their teens and/or early twenties, but have signally failed to develop.

Pretty much every English player since Shearer.

Edit: ah damn, beaten to it by Burge, sort of.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Been an Arsenal fan my whole life, and when Wenger signed Walcott I honestly thought we had another Henry on our hands. Oh how wrong I was. He literally just had pace. I say "had" because I don't think he even has that going for him now.
Why on earth would you have thought that?