• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players who have failed to push on

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Out of a passing discussion in one of the euros threads; English players who were highly rated in their teens and/or early twenties, but have signally failed to develop.

A few obvious candidates:

Barkley
Sterling
Walcott
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Phil Jones
Wilshere
Gibbs
Hart maybe?

There must be loads of others.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Rooney the huge elephant in the room here. Amazing that his best major tourney will be when he broke onto the scene at 18.

Some of the others are still early 20s and can come good.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rooney the huge elephant in the room here. Amazing that his best major tourney will be when he broke onto the scene at 18.

Rooney is a weird one, leading scorer ever and currently level with Beckham as leading outfield caps winner yet you think he never really fulfilled the promise as as a teenager he looked like he could have reached the levels that Messi and Ronaldo have but ended up well short of that.

Uppercut

Yeah Sterling and Barkley don't belong on the list. When a very young player gets beyond a certain level people start judging them by unrealistic standards for their age, when older players below that level are still considered "promising" or "exciting". Lukaku syndrome.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't include Rooney. I don't think there's too much unfulfilled potential. He was just never as good as some people thought (or maybe hoped he would be).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah agreed. Owen was amongst the best in Europe, or even the world up to around 2002/3.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah agreed. Owen was amongst the best in Europe, or even the world up to around 2002/3.
He does a wee bit because he didn't sustain that level of performance. 2002/03 only takes Owen up to the age of 23, although having hamstrings made of glass didn't help him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was only the injuries that stopped him from there, but the level he reached 97-03/04 is enough to keep him well away from any 'not pushing on' tag

But for the hamstring and a couple of bad career choices he could have gone down as one of the all time English greats of course but I don't think that's quite the topic we're going for, otherwise the list is pretty much all bar about three players from the 90s onwards

If we are looking at international performances only then I'd agree with Furball RE Rooney but I don't think there's any way you can look at his career as a whole and see anything but success.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, for one reason or another Owen didn't really sustain it, but I don't think there's much doubt that he reached the top level.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think Gibbs' inclusion is a bit harsh actually. He was never really rated as being anything special. He's just a perfectly serviceable fullback, nothing more, nothing less. From what I remember he was never really expected to be much more than that.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Gibbs' inclusion is a bit harsh actually. He was never really rated as being anything special. He's just a perfectly serviceable fullback, nothing more, nothing less. From what I remember he was never really expected to be much more than that.
The whole list is crap. I think wp was in a hurry.

vcs

Rooney is a weird one, leading scorer ever and currently level with Beckham as leading outfield caps winner yet you think he never really fulfilled the promise as as a teenager he looked like he could have reached the levels that Messi and Ronaldo have but ended up well short of that.
His scoring record flatters him.. been mediocre in tournaments and padded his record in friendlies/vs. ****e opposition in qualifiers, with lots of penalties. People still think of his performance in Euro 2004 when they think of his international career.