• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst ever England football manager.

Worst ever England football manager.

• Revie

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Taylor

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • McClaren

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Hodgson

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other - specify.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Don Revie gets my vote due to what he had available and who he chose to select. For example he could have had Tony Currie, Alan Hudson and Alan Ball in mid-field but would select Brian Greenhoff and Paul Madeley out of position and the likes of Tony Towers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McClaren is by far the worst coach on the list, taking into account their entire careers. I also think he did the worst job, having failed to qualify for a 16-team Euros with a relatively strong squad, embarrassed himself in the media, and got every major decision he ever made horribly wrong.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
McClaren is by far the worst coach on the list, taking into account their entire careers. I also think he did the worst job, having failed to qualify for a 16-team Euros with a relatively strong squad, embarrassed himself in the media, and got every major decision he ever made horribly wrong.
Graham Taylor played Carlton Palmer in front of the back four when we needed to win by seven away to San Marino

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, exactly my thoughts.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Taylor has to be up there given the wealth of talent he ignored.

Capello worse than Hodgson for my money as well.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graham Taylor played Carlton Palmer in front of the back four when we needed to win by seven away to San Marino
:laugh: not sure I can argue with that. From watching them as pundits I think Taylor is more of an idiot. McClaren has your standard pub-bore bad opinions, like "Rooney should be in the team because on his day he can win you games single-handedly" or "the system isn't important because good players will always find a way to make it work". Taylor has all of these, but he also has some quite creative bad opinions, like "when defending a corner teams should always leave two men up and have a man on each post".

However, Taylor has the excuse of being of a different era, and in his time was one of the Football League's better managers. Jonathan Wilson has quite a convincing partial-defence of him, where he describes how the internal politics of the FA forced him to implement the kick-and-rush style of Watford when he no longer believed in it. He's also unfortunate to have had all of his incompetence not only recorded, but compiled into a documentary filled with such memorable quotes that they must surely be shouted at him in the street every time he leaves his house. If he was a movie character he would be cut for being too tragic a figure- the turnip scene would prompt mass walk-outs- and I don't have it in me to impose on him the ultimate insult of "winning" CW's Worst England Manager Poll.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
McClaren for my quid. I'm too young to remember Revie, but I believe we had Italy in our qualification group for 78 with only one team going to the finals.

Not quite on a par with failing to draw at home with a frankly not that great Croatia who'd already qualified.

Keegan probably worthy of a mention. If memory serves we were relying on Sweden to do us a favour in our last qualification game and stumbled through a play off with yer Sweaties, contriving to lose at Wembley to a Don "Budweiser" Hutchison goal.

Our efforts in the finals were a bit two bob too; yeah we beat Jerry for the first time in a competitive game since god was in short trousers, but we lost from winning positions against Portugal and Romania. In the case of the latter we only needed to avoid defeat as well. Step forward Neville minor...

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Keegan a good addition, but he did realise that his brand of jingoistic blind optimism wasn't enough and did the decent thing early on in the World Cup qualifiers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Taylor has to be up there given the wealth of talent he ignored.

Capello worse than Hodgson for my money as well.
I'll say it as long as there's breath in my body, Capello was fine until the capello index and then he lost the plot

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Taylor gets the prize for the greatest act of stupidity for the moment he replaced Gazza - who was still fresh from the World Cup and pre-injury - with Gordon Cowans for a Euro qualifier against the Republic of Ireland.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
10 English players played in the 2008 Champions League final. Embarrassing to think McClaren couldn't qualify with them.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A few random thoughts ....

Revie - got through way too many players, but also unlucky with injuries to key members of what was looking a decent side about a year into his tenure. Failing to qualify for the 1976 euros and 1978 WC in winner-takes-all qualifying groups it relatively forgivable when our conquerors went on to win the thing in 1976 and were Italy in 1978

Taylor - made a mess of the really good squad that he inherited from Robson but was unlucky in the qualifiers for the 1994 WC, the Oslo game excepted. Didn't really have a clue tbh.

McLaren - probably the worst of the lot. Really out of his depth by a country mile.
As was Keegan, who's tactical briefing reputedly amounted to little more than 'Charge!'

Capello if only for the horrors of 2010.

Really, it's easier to list the ones who were any good.