• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next England football manager.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is how the BBC describe the early odds.

The latest odds have England Under-21 boss and former Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate as favourite to succeed Hodgson.

Odds are also being offered on Gary Neville and Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew (10/1); Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe and new Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers (16/1); Arsenal's Arsene Wenger (28/1) and Manchester United's Jose Mourinho (33/1).

If Gareth Southgate is appointment all England shirts, scarves and other fan paraphernalia will be ceremonially burned and all supporters clubs disbanded.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This is how the BBC describe the early odds.

The latest odds have England Under-21 boss and former Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate as favourite to succeed Hodgson.

Odds are also being offered on Gary Neville and Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew (10/1); Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe and new Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers (16/1); Arsenal's Arsene Wenger (28/1) and Manchester United's Jose Mourinho (33/1).

If Gareth Southgate is appointment all England shirts, scarves and other fan paraphernalia will be ceremonially burned and all supporters clubs disbanded.
Mourinho would have been fun, but it's not going to happen.

Wenger isn't a bad shout, actually.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Next England manager? Our writers have their say on who should replace Roy Hodgson - Mirror Online

Never mind what happened during his eight games in the ****pit at Newcastle in 2009, when he inherited a mess from Joe Kinnear.

After four years of Roy Hodgson's hush puppies, England need a jackboot - and Alan Shearer would stand for no nonsense from overpaid, pampered, mollycoddled millionaires.

He would command respect from the players and, from his forthright opinions on Match of the Day, he seems to have a grasp of what is required to succeed at international level.

If the cupboard is bare, and there are no oven-ready candidates with a nice set of coaching badges, why not give Shearer a whirl? And if Rio Ferdinand, his sidekick on TV as pundits picked over the carcass of Hodgson's reign, fancies a bash as his assistant, why not bring him on board as well?

Time will tell whether it's a dream ticket, but they couldn't do any worse than Hodgson's nightmare in Nice.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My favourite part is seeing the use of "he can't do any worse than Hodgson" frequently used as an actual argument, rather than as the punchline to some sub-par banter.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't have a problem with Shearer being involved, the cupboard is bare. Don't know what coaching qualifications etc. he has mind.

Plenty of other big countries have gone for someone equivalent to him.

First thing a new manager needs to do is boot Rooney out of the squad. If they're not going to do that then we may as well give up now.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Shearer wouldn't get the job even if he had any credentials. Roy got the job instead of Harry just like Ron Greenwood got it instead of Brian Clough.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Worth noting that in fairly recent memory we have a manager who did worse (McLaren) and if you're my age or older you'll remember Taylor too. So Hodgson only comes in third worst in my lifetime. I'd be tempted to stick Capello there too, 2010 was every bit as bad as this tournament but it's glossed over by the Lampard goal and the fact we were knocked out by a good side.

So can't do any worse is obviously incorrect. In this 24-team Euros, 32-team WC era, I expect England to always qualify for tournaments, not out of entitlement but because all things considered we should, but if we make a prank choice then we jeopardise that.

The manager needs to have a track record of winning big games and major trophies. If they've done that they probably tick all the other boxes that feed into it.

There's no English manager who fits the bill (hence why if we stay domestic I'm going with Howe).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can't be Sherwood surely. He has the general profile of someone the men in suits at the FA would be a big fan of, but his record is so terrible that surely they wouldn't dare go near him with a barge pole. The fact that 'Arry has given him a ringing endorsement should also probably be enough to dispel any thin chance he has.

Not a fan of the idea of Shearer getting the nod either. Bloke did a really screwy job at Newcastle, and regularly talks bollocks on TV, and that's about all that can be said of his credentials. He's also a big fan of another talker of bollocks, Glenn Hoddle, so I can't see him being appointed ending in anything other than disappointment.