• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next England football manager.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There are times when you take a gamble, and times when you want a safe pair of hands - now is one of the latter - never thought I'd say it but I think Allardyce is the man
What would a safe pair of hands be expected to achieve? It would need someone incredibly clumsy not to make it through qualifying. Though having said that, I wouldn't be overly surprised to finish below Scotland or Slovakia.
Still, no need to panic. Stevie G is confident the FA will get it right. Though what he bases that confidence on is perhaps more of a mystery.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What would a safe pair of hands be expected to achieve? It would need someone incredibly clumsy not to make it through qualifying. Though having said that, I wouldn't be overly surprised to finish below Scotland or Slovakia.
Still, no need to panic. Stevie G is confident the FA will get it right. Though what he bases that confidence on is perhaps more of a mystery.
Don't be ridiculous.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon if you'd asked most football fans six years ago, "he's a safe pair of hands" would have been the number one argument in favour of Hodgson.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm not convinced that a "safe pair of hands" is ever a useful answer to anything. Maybe in a massive crisis where some stability is desperately needed above and beyond everything else perhaps, but how often is this ever really the case?. 99 times out of 100 it sounds rather like a recipe for stagnation and regression to me.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Don't have a massive issue with Allardyce (other than the fact he doesn't like Wenger) but it's not exactly the most inspiring appointment of all time is it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Awful appointment.

Time for me to research my family tree and find a new nation.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, the last time England had success was in the era of men with real men's names like Stan, Alf and Bob. Might be a good appointment after all.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The FA obviously agree with me that we have an appalling nondescript collection of players to choose from. That's why they've gone down the route of an organiser who can dig out results. I wouldn't be surprised if we return to the halcyon days of an occasional quarter-final.