• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next England football manager.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Worth noting that in fairly recent memory we have a manager who did worse (McLaren) and if you're my age or older you'll remember Taylor too. So Hodgson only comes in third worst in my lifetime. I'd be tempted to stick Capello there too, 2010 was every bit as bad as this tournament but it's glossed over by the Lampard goal and the fact we were knocked out by a good side.

So can't do any worse is obviously incorrect. In this 24-team Euros, 32-team WC era, I expect England to always qualify for tournaments, not out of entitlement but because all things considered we should, but if we make a prank choice then we jeopardise that.

The manager needs to have a track record of winning big games and major trophies. If they've done that they probably tick all the other boxes that feed into it.

There's no English manager who fits the bill (hence why if we stay domestic I'm going with Howe).
Germany got 3rd place with Klinsmann and won it with Beckenbauer. Both were fresh from retirement.

Howe is a little bit further on, but I don't know enough about him as to whether he'd have the character to get the respect from the players. I think Shearer certainly would.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Too much is being made of this "respect from the players" thing. Obviously it's important, but it's worth jack **** if you're clueless in every other way.

Scaly piscine

Hoddle probably our best manager over the past couple of decades. Not saying much, had the guts to omit Gazza. Just a shame he has some bizarre beliefs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hoddle probably our best manager over the past couple of decades. Not saying much, had the guts to omit Gazza. Just a shame he has some bizarre beliefs.
His time in charge was vaguely successful, I'll grant him that. But there's basically nothing that's happened in the intervening period that can be used to support any suggestion he ought to be given the job again. He's not had a job in football at all for ten years. Football has changed pretty drastically over that period, and as we have seen with other high profile appointments that could be described as being somewhat similar (e.g. Dalglish at Liverpool), old coaches often just appear to have been left in the dust and can't adapt. This combined with the fact that he is a habitual talker of crap on TV makes him a definite "avoid" for me.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Shearer is brainless. He was my childhood hero but even I, nor most right-thinking Newcastle fans I think, could never endorse him. In fact nobody even remotely involved with Newcastle over the last 10 years should be anywhere near the picture.

Except Chris Hughton, get him in.

Scaly piscine

Too much is being made of this "respect from the players" thing. Obviously it's important, but it's worth jack **** if you're clueless in every other way.
You can't manage if the players piss about, and there are certainly plenty of prima donnas in England's squad. It's one thing doing managing at Bournemouth when you've had a playing career there. Another when you're managing England. If Howe is strong enough to manage the team, retire Rooney etc. then fair enough.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You can't manage if the players piss about, and there are certainly plenty of prima donnas in England's squad. It's one thing doing managing at Bournemouth when you've had a playing career there. Another when you're managing England. If Howe is strong enough to manage the team, retire Rooney etc. then fair enough.
You can't manage if you're a **** manager either. Not very well anyway, which is exactly why England are in this mess in the first place.

Scaly piscine

You can't manage if you're a **** manager either. Not very well anyway, which is exactly why England are in this mess in the first place.
I don't think you can judge managerial ability based on 8 games at an extremely dysfunctional club and punditry on TV.

I would think it's unlikely he'd be manager but could certainly be involved like Keane is with Ireland.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I concede that it's a small sample size to work with, but even so. Those 8 games did not reflect well on him, at all.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Worth noting that in fairly recent memory we have a manager who did worse (McLaren) and if you're my age or older you'll remember Taylor too. So Hodgson only comes in third worst in my lifetime. I'd be tempted to stick Capello there too, 2010 was every bit as bad as this tournament but it's glossed over by the Lampard goal and the fact we were knocked out by a good side.

So can't do any worse is obviously incorrect. In this 24-team Euros, 32-team WC era, I expect England to always qualify for tournaments, not out of entitlement but because all things considered we should, but if we make a prank choice then we jeopardise that.

The manager needs to have a track record of winning big games and major trophies. If they've done that they probably tick all the other boxes that feed into it.

There's no English manager who fits the bill (hence why if we stay domestic I'm going with Howe).
2010 was surely worse because of the inept performances from start to finish.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't have a problem with Shearer being involved, the cupboard is bare. Don't know what coaching qualifications etc. he has mind.

Plenty of other big countries have gone for someone equivalent to him.

First thing a new manager needs to do is boot Rooney out of the squad. If they're not going to do that then we may as well give up now.
Shearer has spent his entire punditry career verbally fellating Rooney regardless of how tragicomic his performances are. Of all the candidates I've heard mentioned he's the least likely to make that call.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bruce, Allardyce, Sherwood.

*shudders*

Suddenly Southgate doesn't seem too bad.
What exactly would be wrong with Allardyce?

Ok, he's a **** who generally has his sides playing horrible football, but the one thing I'll say for him is that his sides are well organised and know their roles. Last night's shambles wouldn't have happened on his watch.

And on a separate point, why exactly is Shearer the man to 'win the respect of the dressing room'? He retired 10 years ago, aside from a short spell getting Newcastle relegated he's contributed absolutely nothing to the game save talking a lot of ****e on MoTD - this is a flaw that isn't unique to Shearer but I don't think I've ever once heard him give us any insight into the game the way Carragher and Neville do/did every week on Monday Night Football. Add in that Shearer achieved next to nothing at the highest level and he comes off as a complete bellend - what exactly are you wanting him in the job for?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Shearer has spent his entire punditry career verbally fellating Rooney regardless of how tragicomic his performances are. Of all the candidates I've heard mentioned he's the least likely to make that call.
Haha yeah I was going to make this point as well. If you're wanting Rooney dropped then Shearer isn't going to do so, I fully expect Shearer to be on our screens in 2020 or 2022 bemoaning England not picking Wayne Rooney in their squad after yet another exit.

Uppercut

Ok, he's a **** who generally has his sides playing horrible football, but the one thing I'll say for him is that his sides are well organised and know their roles. Last night's shambles wouldn't have happened on his watch.
Allardyce has a fairly similar record to Hodgson, if anything probably a little less impressive, with more of his success based on being good in the transfer market. He's an improvement in the sense that he was innovative ten years ago, whereas Hodgson was innovative twenty years ago. He's not the worst choice, but he is a crap choice. It's gotta be Howe or a foreigner.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Allardyce is the third worst choice. Only John Barnes and Micky Adams would be worse.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

And on a separate point, why exactly is Shearer the man to 'win the respect of the dressing room'? He retired 10 years ago, aside from a short spell getting Newcastle relegated he's contributed absolutely nothing to the game save talking a lot of ****e on MoTD - this is a flaw that isn't unique to Shearer but I don't think I've ever once heard him give us any insight into the game the way Carragher and Neville do/did every week on Monday Night Football. Add in that Shearer achieved next to nothing at the highest level and he comes off as a complete bellend - what exactly are you wanting him in the job for?
If we're going to go with someone unproven I would absolutely reach out to Carragher

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I really don't see the logic in the unproven option to be honest. Seems like a monumental gamble, and the only things that can apparently be said in favour of it is the "can't do any worse than Roy" and "nobody who is actually good would be stupid enough to take the job" justifications.

Mind you, the more I think about it, the more significance I think the latter has.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mind you, the more I think about it, the more significance I think the latter has.
The latter is probably why getting the Iceland coach is a non-starter (if anyone was seriously entertaining that option for more than a moment's cheap joke). He was already fed up with Swedish media, which is small potatoes compared to the ****ing Sun, Mirror, Mail and other prank publications.

Uppercut

I really don't see the logic in the unproven option to be honest. Seems like a monumental gamble, and the only things that can apparently be said in favour of it is the "can't do any worse than Roy" and "nobody who is actually good would be stupid enough to take the job" justifications.

I would be amazed if someone like Howe turned it down. Think of the pay raise he'd be getting. Besides, there'd be so much potential to regret a decision like that.