• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2016-17

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's with the constant crap Mourinho posts? Could have sworn you used to post more than one thing.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah that was such bollocks.

It's not impossible to tell the difference between underperforming individuals and a dysfunctional system. Obviously they interact, but so much of our underperformance is down to bad finishing. The system isn't as impressive as Liverpool's or Spurs's but it's a huge improvement over LVG's and he's only been there a few months.

I do kind of worry about the negative narrative surrounding Mourinho affecting the players. It's another reason why being in the Europa League is such a disaster. Our two wins this season were (correctly) followed by dead silence and our two defeats brought a torrent of "you're all dicks" thinkpieces. The only possible outcome is being embarrassed.
When it all said and done, its November and the only performance and result that anyway memorable was against Leicester who to be fair have slipped this season. Poor in the Europa League a competition they need to win to get champions league football and one point out of nine against Champions League rivals such as City, Chelsea and Liverpool coupled with home draws against Stoke and Burnley.

He had a decent squad to work with, spent plenty of money and for whatever reason they are barely hanging on in the Europa League and 8th in the premier league. Its not good enough.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah my hope with United is that it all just falls apart on a mental level before they regress to the mean. The number of negative leeks so far and players who you'd imagine are unhappy is a good early sign.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah we're really not. We had been running the least in the division but I would guess that's improved a little bit since Rooney was dropped.

I'm not really buying the "Mourinho's outdated system" story. This idea that the high press is inherently more "modern" and therefore superior is just bollocks, didn't anyone learn anything from Leicester? He's been using a high press selectively for years- that 6-0 game against Arsenal was especially brutal. But right now it doesn't suit our players, so he's looking for a system that does.
It's not necessarily about high pressing, I'm talking about what you're doing with the ball. Look at City the other night - as soon as they won the ball they were immediately and quickly onto the front foot. How United played at Anfield could work really well for you if you were able to counter attack at speed. It's the one area I've been really pleased with Arsenal, just how much faster and more direct we look with the ball, and it's been my biggest grumble with Rangers this season.

flibbertyjibber

Same thing happened with Moyes, there was a whole 'what could he be expected to do' narrative when he inherited a title winning squad from Ferguson.
In defence of Moyes they messed up the transfer window for him and a few of the title side left or were on their last legs but he didn't do as bad as what followed given what they spent. Still wasn't good enough though for a side who were champions.

Uppercut

Yeah my hope with United is that it all just falls apart on a mental level before they regress to the mean. The number of negative leeks so far and players who you'd imagine are unhappy is a good early sign.
Lol at negative leeks. Completely agree though. Sort of hinges on whether the bad press isolates Mou or he manages to use it to motivate the players.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The current United team seems much weaker through the spine than Fergies last team. No Vidic-Ferdinand pairing and except for Bailey players that look vastly inferior. Carrick was the midfield mainstay of that last title team and he is around but older and hardly playing. Upfront the goals are not there like RVP, 2012 Rooney and Hernandez supplied. For me the defense is a big issue. None of Smalling, Blind etc are good enough. Midfield has had a ton of money spent on it for the return. The forward line is loaded with 10s.

He doesn't need to build a whole team. But the dross needs cutting soon.

vcs

Well done Middlesbrough! Taken points away at Arsenal as well as Man City now.. could be important results in terms of the title race.