• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2016-17

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And for people who think it's over the top to complain about being sixth (an argument I totally understand) we've had no wins away against sides currently in the top 12 of the Premier League, and two wins in total against sides in the top 7 or a big European league. Just so hard to feel any real joy when you only have two results that are better than you'd expect while at the same time the number of disappointing results is well into double figures.
I've had to put up with all of this, plus Rangers.

Can't wait for this season to end, only thing that can redeem it slightly would be for Buffon to get his hands on the cup with the big ears.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
And for people who think it's over the top to complain about being sixth (an argument I totally understand) we've had no wins away against sides currently in the top 12 of the Premier League, and two wins in total against sides in the top 7 or a big European league. Just so hard to feel any real joy when you only have two results that are better than you'd expect while at the same time the number of disappointing results is well into double figures.
I feel the same. I get the annoyance of people who support clubs who aren't billionaires with fantastic players everywhere, but supporting a big club just changes the dynamic of support completely. I used to enjoy supporting City so much more when we were ****. Losing didn't hurt as much because you 'expected' it and winning was much more enjoyable because you didn't. Now every game is just depressing and there's so much less joy in it. It's probably why I care way more about CL matches involving City over the PL fare, as we're usually the underdog.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel the same. I get the annoyance of people who support clubs who aren't billionaires with fantastic players everywhere, but supporting a big club just changes the dynamic of support completely. I used to enjoy supporting City so much more when we were ****. Losing didn't hurt as much because you 'expected' it and winning was much more enjoyable because you didn't. Now every game is just depressing and there's so much less joy in it. It's probably why I care way more about CL matches involving City over the PL fare, as we're usually the underdog.
Is it worth it for winning things though?

Being a Brentford fan in the last 4 or 5 years (apart from the Trotta penalty, which is pretty much the worst thing ever) has been ridiculously good, we play the sort of football we would never have thought possible and consistently more than hold our own in a league that has some teams on (relatively) huge budgets. Imagine a team like Bournemouth is still hugely fun to support, hope it is where we are going to end up.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Being a Brentford fan in the last 4 or 5 years (apart from the Trotta penalty, which is pretty much the worst thing ever) has been ridiculously good, we play the sort of football we would never have thought possible and consistently more than hold our own in a league that has some teams on (relatively) huge budgets. Imagine a team like Bournemouth is still hugely fun to support, hope it is where we are going to end up.
Was that the penalty missed in the last minute of the last day that would have sent you up as champions?

Pothas

Was that the penalty missed in the last minute of the last day that would have sent you up as champions?
Would have gone up in 2nd but yep that is the one. Doncaster went up the other end and scored and did become Champions.

It all worked out in the end and some people like to say it was better in the long term, but they all secretly know that it was awful and always will be.

Pothas

Probably gets said every season but really does feel like everyone from 8th downwards is pretty crap this year.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
It is when you're actually winning. Seasons like this, however, are not particularly. There's literally been nothing to enjoy as a City fan since the comeback against Monaco (which is around 10 weeks ago). Pretty much every game since then has been depressing.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It would be interesting to know if City's owners are happy with the results of their input so far. I know they've done a lot behind the scenes and are (allegedly) in it for the long term. But a couple of League titles scraped on the last day of a season and a couple domestic trophies coupled with abject failure in Europe wouldn't satisfy a lot of owners with their megabucks.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Their owners' main goal right now is probably to break down antitrust rules rather than immediate sporting success, keep expanding the football group.

Decent chance they'll succeed too, ally with Chelsea and Red Bull for the corporate variant of a class action suit.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It would be interesting to know if City's owners are happy with the results of their input so far. I know they've done a lot behind the scenes and are (allegedly) in it for the long term. But a couple of League titles scraped on the last day of a season and a couple domestic trophies coupled with abject failure in Europe wouldn't satisfy a lot of owners with their megabucks.
For the money spent on transfer fees, City's squad is really, really bad.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It is when you're actually winning. Seasons like this, however, are not particularly. There's literally been nothing to enjoy as a City fan since the comeback against Monaco (which is around 10 weeks ago). Pretty much every game since then has been depressing.
What about that one we watched in the pub?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For the money spent on transfer fees, City's squad is really, really bad.
It's so fixable though. Like they've got the amazing forward players and just need a vaguely competent back five. Then at the same time one or two of their really good young players will probably make the leap. Jesus is basically there already, it's an absolute joke how good he is.