• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General Doping Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There was a report couple of days back that the Russians had tried to dope systematically and was asking Russia to be banned from the Olympics.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Query, does anybody know what the rules are on the drugs allowed while injured? I am aware there are banned substances that you cannot use during competition as it helps recovery time etc. However what about when injured and these drugs could take a 9 week lay-off down to 6/3 weeks etc. If you used banned substance to recover quicker form injury but not actually enhance your competitive performance, is this banned? Should it be banned?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Of course it's banned. If it helps you recover quicker then it's performance enhancing.
So what you are effectively saying is if you are an athlete you may not use the best medicine available to recover from major injury and get back to peak physical fitness? My understanding is that "recover quicker" is while in competition (and training) which would give the athlete an advantage eg quicker recovery time during Tour de France stages etc.

But are we saying to athletes because of your job you must just suffer from injury longer? I would find that a little unfair if, for example, you could not get optimum treatment for your torn hamstring. You will not have the same medications and treatments that are used on a daily basis to help people in the street to recover from injury quicker?.

I can understand if there are alternatives that are available that would not contravene the rules; but is there no route available for the athlete to request using a banned substance to help recover from injury provided that the substance is out of his system by the time he starts training again and competing again. This whole discussion came up with a Dr friend (normal GP) the other day about what constitutes medical treatment and where does it cross the line into performance enhancing treatment . Are there clear rules on injury recovery or is it taken on a case by case basis?

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So what you are effectively saying is if you are an athlete you may not use the best medicine available to recover from major injury and get back to peak physical fitness? My understanding is that "recover quicker" is while in competition (and training) which would give the athlete an advantage eg quicker recovery time during Tour de France stages etc.

But are we saying to athletes because of your job you must just suffer from injury longer? I would find that a little unfair if, for example, you could not get optimum treatment for your torn hamstring. You will not have the same medications and treatments that are used on a daily basis to help people in the street to recover from injury quicker?.

I can understand if there are alternatives that are available that would not contravene the rules; but is there no route available for the athlete to request using a banned substance to help recover from injury provided that the substance is out of his system by the time he starts training again and competing again. This whole discussion came up with a Dr friend (normal GP) the other day about what constitutes medical treatment and where does it cross the line into performance enhancing treatment . Are there clear rules on injury recovery or is it taken on a case by case basis?
If that medicine contains banned substances, no.

Let's say I'm due to compete in the Olympics in July, and for argument's sake I need exactly 3 months of training to get to my peak performance, so I need to undertake my training programme from April. If I'm injured until May, then my preparation will be non-optimal and I won't be at peak performance come the Olympics. Using a banned substance so that I can return to fitness in April is absolutely not ok. There's clearly a performance enhancing aspect there, regardless of whether I've continued to use the drug whilst in training and competition. Athletes don't really have an off season.

How would you feel if you were Mr Clean, standing with a silver medal around your neck while I'm off parading the gold when you know I was on PEDs to recover from an injury in time to beat you to the gold?

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It also allows you to train harder and for longer knowing that you'll be able to recover faster. Moreover, building muscle and strength itself is actually technically recovery from injury; microscopically tearing muscle fibres, inflammation and repair is the actual process at a physiological level.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It also allows you to train harder and for longer knowing that you'll be able to recover faster. Moreover, building muscle and strength itself is actually technically recovery from injury; microscopically tearing muscle fibres, inflammation and repair is the actual process at a physiological level.
Good point.

If that medicine contains banned substances, no.

Let's say I'm due to compete in the Olympics in July, and for argument's sake I need exactly 3 months of training to get to my peak performance, so I need to undertake my training programme from April. If I'm injured until May, then my preparation will be non-optimal and I won't be at peak performance come the Olympics. Using a banned substance so that I can return to fitness in April is absolutely not ok. There's clearly a performance enhancing aspect there, regardless of whether I've continued to use the drug whilst in training and competition. Athletes don't really have an off season.

How would you feel if you were Mr Clean, standing with a silver medal around your neck while I'm off parading the gold when you know I was on PEDs to recover from an injury in time to beat you to the gold?
Makes sense. Particularly if the injury is training/competition related. Your point does bring up another aspect for me though. I know that some athletes have operations to try improve recovery time (definite seen this with rugby players). Would that not give a similar effect to what you are saying?

I realize this is probably quite a complicated issue and I have no personal opinion on this matter, its just me trying to understand some of the nuances. I can see that just banning PED`s for athletes makes sense rather than trying to figure out medical versus performance enhancing. And athletes just have to accept and deal with it as part of their job.

ripper868

International Coach
14 Russians (out of 31 positives) who have had Beijing 2008 samples re-tested have allegedly come back positive - medals to change hands 8 years (9 by the time the trials etc are completed) after the event.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Now 23 failed re-tests from the London games in 2012. If I find that any medal ceremony that I saw in the flesh contained an athlete that cheated I will sue the IAAF for emotional trauma.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The ban on Russia' s track team has been upheld. There are threats of legal action though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
**** Russia.

I'm amazed the IOC didn't capitulate actually. Was quite looking forward to personally boycotting the games in protest.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to be happy about it tbh.

Every chinese weightlifter is doping. Every American and Jamaican sprinter is doping. They're just smarter about it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
So a British cyclist (Lizzie Armitstead) misses three tests and gets away with it on a technicality. I doubt that she's taken any drugs, but should still be banned.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So a British cyclist (Lizzie Armitstead) misses three tests and gets away with it on a technicality. I doubt that she's taken any drugs, but should still be banned.
Yep

It's an offence and it will simply fuel the conspiracy theories

Sensible (and consistent) thing would have been to ban her