• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General Doping Thread

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
From the other day.
bbc_Asbel Kiprop: Former Olympic champion given four-year doping ban

Led me to this:
sportsscientists_short-thought-on-sport-asbel-kiprops-positive-test-and-a-chance-for-the-biological-passport-to-shine-or-not/

Which brings me to the final course of this “meal”, the biological passport. It appears, based on what Kiprop’s lawyer says above, that he was tested on 22 November, 27 November and 29 November (I’m assuming this is true).

Now, for an athlete to be tested three times within a week, outside of competition, that absolutely screams “target tested”. So the question is, why was Kiprop being target tested?

Was it based on intelligence, tip-offs, knowledge that he may be doping? Or was it based on a biological profile that was so unusual that the authorities suspected doping, but didn’t have enough to proceed with a case, and so instead decided to pursue him intensely with actual testing?

What will be most interesting to me, if this ever comes out, is what the biological passport looked like in the months leading up to the test, and indeed the months after it? If it reveals absolutely no evidence of doping, a biological passport that looks like it comes out of a figure called “Textbook representation of a undoped athlete blood profile”, then Kiprop’s previous arguments, ranging from corruption of officials to the faulty test, gain some momentum.

On the other hand, if his Passport looks like a profile of the French Alps on the Queen stage of the Tour de France, or even just one long climb up Alp d’Huez, going up and up and up at around the same time as the eventual positive test, then the biological passport will have scored a major victory.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This Sun Yang stuff is sketchy as hell

Allegedly non-accredited nurse takes blood which is subsequently destroyed

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's extemely unlikely that a new, unmarketed SARM would be a contaminant in a supplement she took. I really struggle to see a plausible explanation for this, and even if there was a plausible explanation it's still her responsibility that the drug got into her system.

I think it's far more likely that she/her team felt that it would be a good drug to dope with, being new and likely hard to detect, especially as a female athlete as it wouldn't have many of the other androgenic properties of traditional steroids - e.g. hirsutism.

She should be banned.