Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: General Doping Thread

vcs

This is a 38-year old Rod Laver.

Also, Jimmy Connors made the USO semis at 39, and Martina won Slams (mixed doubles) into her 50s, and made a Wimbledon final at 37. Serena and Venus are going strong, well into their 30s. It's not easy to be so competitive in top-level tennis once you cross 30, but it can be done. I suspect Djokovic and Nadal are far from done either, even though people love saying their physical style of play will "catch up with them". At least in Nadal's case, I've seen no reason to believe that. He could easily win another 3 French Opens alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Then you should also have been skeptical when it took an inspired Djokovic at his absolute peak to deny him in 3 Slam finals and a semi-final between 2014-16, when he was a sprightly 33-34 years old...

People can have their suspicions, but the simpler explanation is the obvious one. Federer is the master of giving himself opportunities. It's no coincidence that the "Weak Opposition" talk has re-started after Wimbledon (after going silent when Djokovic had an incredibly dominant season in 2015, and Nadal to a lesser extent in 2013). I can accept that those two at their absolute peak probably beat him more often than not in Slam matches. But the question is, did Federer ever go away? He has always absorbed the tough losses, maintained his level and kept coming back. So when Djokovic had a drop-off (Murray as well, though Murray hasn't really been a problem for Federer since 2014) this year, guess who was there to capitalize. No one is better at being there at the business end of Majors year in, year out than Federer, so take away his biggest obstacles, and he's back in the winners' circle. 2013 and 2016 were the only "poor" seasons he's had, and those can be explained by injury, and adjusting to a new racquet.
    I'm not making it as if he's the only one at all and I know he himself has called for better and more frequent testing so I'm not painting him as a villain. It strained my credulity when Djokovic played high intensity marathon matches a few days apart seemingly without draining himself and it does the same now when Federer doesn't get notably drained by long matches when it had been an issue for him ,atleast imo, before this year. I know they're just phenomenal athletes and it's arguably unfair on them but it's just the point we're at now.
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 19-07-2017 at 07:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

vcs
    If you're referring to the Australian Open 5th set, Nadal had spent an equal (or longer) time on court, so there was no advantage to either of them. Nadal had played the second semifinal as well. It's dodgy scheduling that gives the Thursday winner an advantage, but that's a different debate and that's how it's always been at the AO. It didn't affect Nadal when he'd played the 2nd semifinal in 2009 against Verdasco, which was an epic 5-setter. He went on to beat Federer in the final, and looked the fresher player in the 5th set. But he was 22 back then, and he could probably have played matches like that on 10 consecutive days without getting tired.

Nadal's 5-set record has gotten worse with age, could have something to with physical endurance, or getting more nervous in crunch moments, I don't know. In the last 5 or 6 non-RG Majors, his losses have come in 5-setters.
    Last edited by vcs; 19-07-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Plus your training and workload management is designed for you to peak at big events.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

And when you're as good as Federer was at his peak (bear in mind we're talking GOAT here) the level he's declined to is still better than 95% of players out there. So when the 2 or 3 guys who are currently better than you run into problems, it's hardly surprising you win major tournaments again.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Ideally Federer and Djokovic should be found guilty of doping so that Murray is awarded the 8 finals he's lost.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Another Gold Medal for Mo Farrah.
    vogue likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year
    100m Gold for Justin Gatlin. Ultimate farce.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    and UK Postal won the tour again
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    100m Gold for Justin Gatlin. Ultimate farce.
    How long does one have to stay clean after serving a doping ban for the matter to be water under the bridge?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I have heard it said that Chuck Norris' googly would literally break legs.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    How long does one have to stay clean after serving a doping ban for the matter to be water under the bridge?
    When one indulges in such cheating one should be banned for life.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Is Mo Farah's rapid improvement several years ago from being a sort of mid-table athlete to unbeatable after some interesting coaching associations not something we talk about here?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Is Mo Farah's rapid improvement several years ago from being a sort of mid-table athlete to unbeatable after some interesting coaching associations not something we talk about here?
    As Coldplay say... Let's Talk

Cricketer Of The Year
    Silver only for Farrah in his last race. Forgot to spike his tea.

International Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    and UK Postal won the tour again
    Added the Vuelta a Espana to his collection as well. Must be some powerful protein shakes he's taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome..its a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information