cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: General Doping Thread

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    That article relates to historic doping claims.
    So? There was a cover up by the USOC and the US was not sanctioned for it. Their medals were not stripped and their athletes were not banned from competing. Double standards much?

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbrooks View Post
    There are two sets of rules at play here. One for Western Athletes and another for Russians :-)
    Good. Russia is terrible.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    In summary I don't think these Games were much worse than previous ones, and drugs are a part of our daily life in the world so it's strange to have them totally out of sports. Could keep some academics busy with proving what exactly is performance enhancing or not, though.

And strangely I believe in Bolt more after seeing him. Charming man And the times were fairly consistent with a slow decline.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by jonbrooks View Post
    So? There was a cover up by the USOC and the US was not sanctioned for it. Their medals were not stripped and their athletes were not banned from competing. Double standards much?
    Sorry, you appear to be surprised that different standards may apply 15 years down the line.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    Good. Russia is terrible.
    Why is Russia terrible?

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Sorry, you appear to be surprised that different standards may apply 15 years down the line.
    So, if a murder occurred 15 years ago we should let the culprit go? Nice one mate.

The way it's covered by the beeb you would think only uk world records were under scrutiny
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I have heard it said that Chuck Norris' googly would literally break legs.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    The communications on this has been terrible. Lots of words about unanimous support, little about concrete effects.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    So what you are effectively saying is if you are an athlete you may not use the best medicine available to recover from major injury and get back to peak physical fitness? My understanding is that "recover quicker" is while in competition (and training) which would give the athlete an advantage eg quicker recovery time during Tour de France stages etc.

But are we saying to athletes because of your job you must just suffer from injury longer? I would find that a little unfair if, for example, you could not get optimum treatment for your torn hamstring. You will not have the same medications and treatments that are used on a daily basis to help people in the street to recover from injury quicker?.

I can understand if there are alternatives that are available that would not contravene the rules; but is there no route available for the athlete to request using a banned substance to help recover from injury provided that the substance is out of his system by the time he starts training again and competing again. This whole discussion came up with a Dr friend (normal GP) the other day about what constitutes medical treatment and where does it cross the line into performance enhancing treatment . Are there clear rules on injury recovery or is it taken on a case by case basis?
    As a general point, I don't think this is very different from the basic idea of being an athlete. Rugby players get concussions, footballers tear ligaments, wicket keepers break their fingers and cyclists pump their quads for hours until they vomit from exhaustion. To be a pro you sacrifice perfect healthcare, it's why they get paid so much.
    In the eye of the hurricane there is quiet
    For just a moment
    A yellow sky

Cricketer Of The Year StephenZA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    As a general point, I don't think this is very different from the basic idea of being an athlete. Rugby players get concussions, footballers tear ligaments, wicket keepers break their fingers and cyclists pump their quads for hours until they vomit from exhaustion. To be a pro you sacrifice perfect healthcare, it's why they get paid so much.
    Man that was so long ago now..... still don`t understand why sportsman can`t get best treatment out of competition. But heh! Not going into that discussion again....
    It's never your successful friends posting the 'inspirational' quotes...

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Query, does anybody know what the rules are on the drugs allowed while injured? I am aware there are banned substances that you cannot use during competition as it helps recovery time etc. However what about when injured and these drugs could take a 9 week lay-off down to 6/3 weeks etc. If you used banned substance to recover quicker form injury but not actually enhance your competitive performance, is this banned? Should it be banned?
    I think there are drugs like these. Some are banned but can be used if you have TUEs, others are subjected to thresholds. I'm not very sure about the details, maybe hendrix can help.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Jessica Ennis is still picking up the medals. Perhaps she might still be a contender for this year's Sports Personality of the Year after all.

Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill to get 2011 world gold in London after Chernova decision - BBC Sport

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Is it ok if I'm massively sceptical how Federer is moving so effortlessly and looks so fit at age 36? Especially after a long lay off?
    zorax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

vcs
    Then you should also have been skeptical when it took an inspired Djokovic at his absolute peak to deny him in 3 Slam finals and a semi-final between 2014-16, when he was a sprightly 33-34 years old...

People can have their suspicions, but the simpler explanation is the obvious one. Federer is the master of giving himself opportunities. It's no coincidence that the "Weak Opposition" talk has re-started after Wimbledon (after going silent when Djokovic had an incredibly dominant season in 2015, and Nadal to a lesser extent in 2013). I can accept that those two at their absolute peak probably beat him more often than not in Slam matches. But the question is, did Federer ever go away? He has always absorbed the tough losses, maintained his level and kept coming back. So when Djokovic had a drop-off (Murray as well, though Murray hasn't really been a problem for Federer since 2014) this year, guess who was there to capitalize. No one is better at being there at the business end of Majors year in, year out than Federer, so take away his biggest obstacles, and he's back in the winners' circle. 2013 and 2016 were the only "poor" seasons he's had, and those can be explained by injury, and adjusting to a new racquet.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information