• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General Doping Thread

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to be happy about it tbh.

Every Chinese weightlifter is doping. Every American and Jamaican sprinter is doping. They're just smarter about it.
]

You forgot the Nigerian Wrestlers :laugh:

So a British cyclist (Lizzie Armitstead) misses three tests and gets away with it on a technicality. I doubt that she's taken any drugs, but should still be banned.
Will there be an uproar from the righteous indignation lobby? I mean sure we are all upset that people cheat, but the way some have put them,selves on a podium to wag fingers about :mad:
**** Russia.

I'm amazed the IOC didn't capitulate actually. Was quite looking forward to personally boycotting the games in protest.
Someone else could capitulate for them

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An Ethiopian runner won gold in the 10000 metres, breaking the world record by 14 seconds in the process

It was only the second time she had run the distance, the world record had stood since 1993 and was set by a notorious doper

Paula Radclife summed it up: "I'm finding it difficult to understand ...."

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's definitely doable if you're used to running far longer distances at a decent pace.

When you're in training for marathons then a 10k is basically a short sprint.

ripper868

International Coach
I won't be surprised if they find the track is actually only 380 metres/lap. But yeah, crazy fast time that would have broken the 5000m world record ad well

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
She got 3rd in the 5k race though. Pushed too early.

(Plus I can't really blame anyone for using mildly dirty tricks to get out of Ethiopia)

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
She got 3rd in the 5k race though. Pushed too early.

(Plus I can't really blame anyone for using mildly dirty tricks to get out of Ethiopia)
Remember when well known former CW member dhonisgland said his dad took the family to Sudan from India for a better life? It's a similar sort of thing I guess.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
An Ethiopian runner won gold in the 10000 metres, breaking the world record by 14 seconds in the process

It was only the second time she had run the distance, the world record had stood since 1993 and was set by a notorious doper

Paula Radclife summed it up: "I'm finding it difficult to understand ...."
LOL! Radcliffe was hardly clean herself. A bit of pot calling the kettle black there.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
So a British cyclist (Lizzie Armitstead) misses three tests and gets away with it on a technicality. I doubt that she's taken any drugs, but should still be banned.
There are two sets of rules at play here. One for Western Athletes and another for Russians :-)

jonbrooks

International Debutant
That article relates to historic doping claims.
So? There was a cover up by the USOC and the US was not sanctioned for it. Their medals were not stripped and their athletes were not banned from competing. Double standards much?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
In summary I don't think these Games were much worse than previous ones, and drugs are a part of our daily life in the world so it's strange to have them totally out of sports. Could keep some academics busy with proving what exactly is performance enhancing or not, though.

And strangely I believe in Bolt more after seeing him. Charming man :happy: And the times were fairly consistent with a slow decline.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So? There was a cover up by the USOC and the US was not sanctioned for it. Their medals were not stripped and their athletes were not banned from competing. Double standards much?
Sorry, you appear to be surprised that different standards may apply 15 years down the line.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The way it's covered by the beeb you would think only uk world records were under scrutiny

Howe_zat

Audio File
So what you are effectively saying is if you are an athlete you may not use the best medicine available to recover from major injury and get back to peak physical fitness? My understanding is that "recover quicker" is while in competition (and training) which would give the athlete an advantage eg quicker recovery time during Tour de France stages etc.

But are we saying to athletes because of your job you must just suffer from injury longer? I would find that a little unfair if, for example, you could not get optimum treatment for your torn hamstring. You will not have the same medications and treatments that are used on a daily basis to help people in the street to recover from injury quicker?.

I can understand if there are alternatives that are available that would not contravene the rules; but is there no route available for the athlete to request using a banned substance to help recover from injury provided that the substance is out of his system by the time he starts training again and competing again. This whole discussion came up with a Dr friend (normal GP) the other day about what constitutes medical treatment and where does it cross the line into performance enhancing treatment . Are there clear rules on injury recovery or is it taken on a case by case basis?
As a general point, I don't think this is very different from the basic idea of being an athlete. Rugby players get concussions, footballers tear ligaments, wicket keepers break their fingers and cyclists pump their quads for hours until they vomit from exhaustion. To be a pro you sacrifice perfect healthcare, it's why they get paid so much.