cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Road to Russia 2018

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Our group is the hardest of the 2 in the Asian zone. The team Australia beat last night beat Japan away recently and you'd think the Japanese would be one of the top 2 teams in the group. Add the Saudis and you can see our road to qualifying is fairly tough.
    Says something about the Asian zone when the team topping its hardest group lost all its matches at the last World Cup.

Winner should have to be sent to be a play-off with a middling South American side.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

There's loads of **** teams who qualify from Africa and Asia because of Blatter pandering to them for votes, can't wait for the World Cup to go to 40 teams so more useless African sides make it.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

I like using the World Cup for rebuilding though.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Says something about the Asian zone when the team topping its hardest group lost all its matches at the last World Cup.

Winner should have to be sent to be a play-off with a middling South American side.
    Been there, done that and kicked their arse

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    There's loads of **** teams who qualify from Africa and Asia because of Blatter pandering to them for votes, can't wait for the World Cup to go to 40 teams so more useless African sides make it.
    Ah how can you not love it. It's great for the same reason it'd be great if every Olympic event contained one random person for scale.

On a semi-serious note, if shite teams were excluded there wouldn't be a World Cup. They may as well accept that all international football will be extremely low-standard for the foreseeable future and turn it into a massive festival.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Ah how can you not love it. It's great for the same reason it'd be great if every Olympic event contained one random person for scale.

On a semi-serious note, if shite teams were excluded there wouldn't be a World Cup. They may as well accept that all international football will be extremely low-standard for the foreseeable future and turn it into a massive festival.
    I agree with the general sentiment, but I'm of the view that we see enough of this type of "festival" during the qualifying rounds.

5 slots for a 54 nation Confederation is hardly pandering when UEFA's 46 members take damn near half of the qualification slots.
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I have heard it said that Chuck Norris' googly would literally break legs.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I agree with the general sentiment, but I'm of the view that we see enough of this type of "festival" during the qualifying rounds.
    I think I might be missing your point. I can't think of anything less festival-esque than a World Cup qualifier. They're grim as **** and seriously need a rethink.

International Regular the big bambino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post

Says nothing about the Asian confederation at all. SK and japan have done all right. Australia not bad either. You have to remember soccer was a minnow sport here until fairly recently and the Asian zone is still developing in relation to Europe and South America. Frankly I think Europe is over rated and should lose a few places they get simply bcos of the old boy network.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Says nothing about the Asian confederation at all. SK and japan have done all right. Australia not bad either. You have to remember soccer was a minnow sport here until fairly recently and the Asian zone is still developing in relation to Europe and South America. Frankly I think Europe is over rated and should lose a few places they get simply bcos of the old boy network.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    RE Rashford, even if Kane is out of sorts - which obviously he is - no way does Rashford get ahead of Vardy (who should be ahead of Kane). Would rather him spend time developing in the U21s than sitting on the bench, especially given he's not playing first team football. Far too often we put a stigma on a player going back to the age groups just because they've played for the full side. So despite feeling dirty for agreeing with an Allardyce decision, I think this one was absolutely correct.
    andruid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I've always been an advocate of Oceania getting one automatic place at the World Cup, I'm just not a fan of the growing representation of Africa and Asia when they've done **** all to deserve it.

I've always been an advocate of Oceania getting one automatic place at the World Cup, I'm just not a fan of the growing representation of Africa and Asia when they've done **** all to deserve it.
    Is it increasing that much? I thought if anything CONCACAF was the over-represented region.

Really we're probably talking about the 31st or 32nd best teams at the tournament here. I don't think it even slightly matters which of Slovenia or Angola are the better team. At that level it's all about how to spread the game globally and bring together cultures that would never otherwise meet.
    Pothas and Johnners like this.

CONCACAF get 3 places, 2 of which are virtually guaranteed to go to the USA and Mexico.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I think I might be missing your point. I can't think of anything less festival-esque than a World Cup qualifier. They're grim as **** and seriously need a rethink.
    Sorry, it was your more shite teams = festival point that I was musing over. Like you say, the World Cup qualifiers are terrible. My concerns are primarily that allowing more dross into the tournament itself would effectively render the early stages of the tournament proper an elongated version of the qualifiers. Accordingly, they'd be no more festive than the qualifying rounds themselves (i.e. they'd be pretty dire).
    Last edited by sledger; 07-09-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information