• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to Russia 2018

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Never really in it, well done to Peru. They hugely deserved to advance. Pleasing to see a much more competitive showing from the AW's than the 9-3 drubbing we copped from Mexico 4 years ago.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Still love the world cup, me. Especially the group stages when there's two or three games on every day.

Main gripe is it comes round so friggin' quickly now!! Four years ain't what it was...

There seems to be some kind of inverse correlation between how easy England have it in qualifying and how well we do in the actual tournament too. We lost 3 times in qualifying for 82 and yet topped a group including France and Czechoslovakia and exited unbeaten after goalless draws with Spain and West Germany (as was), and made it to Italia 90 behind Sweden with 3 wins and 3 draws (Terry Butcher famously shedding almost literally pints of blood in the cause) and made the semis. Nowadays we routinely piss qualifying and barely get unpacked before we come home.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I still love the WC more than anything. Maybe because we've only been in 3 since I was born, and missed so many of them in heartbreaking fashion while I was a kid. I dreamed about watching us play in it and until I was19 years old I didn't get to see it. I cried like a baby with the Iran defeat in 1997, I cried like a baby when we won that shootout against Uruguay. It means so much when it's not a given.
Yeah, I'll be the same if we ever qualify for a major tournament again. 20 years and counting, I can remember the inquest when we failed to qualify for USA 94 because not reaching World Cups had become unheard of. I cried my eyes out after the Italy game in Euro 2008 qualifying and got far more emotional than I expected when Northern Ireland beat Ukraine in the Euros last summer, I think in part because I've resigned myself to Scotland just always being ****e.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
World Cup just feels totally different to me, even if I care a lot more about my club than international football it still has something that nothing else can match. Maybe I am in the minority here but glad to be, I would pretty much give up on football if I did not get excited about the World Cup.
Yeah my original post was not to say I do not enjoy them anymore. I invariably do.

And like you I still feel they are different and better than nearly anything else. I enjoyed the last World Cup immensely, for instance. But something just isn't the same, but it's probably just that I am now viewing them as an adult rather than a child.

May also be something to do with the fact that I just don't enjoy football as a whole as much as I once did. Find it increasingly difficult to look beyond the money-grabbing aspects of it these days. Plus the fact that when I try and think about it objectively there I find the appeal of watching grown men run around in glorified PE kits somewhat difficult to rationalise. The world cup is about the only thing left in the entire sport that has an element of romance left for me now.

It's weird how I still really enjoy playing Football Manager though, maybe more than ever, despite the fact that my interest in the sport is probably at its lowest since I started watching in the early 90s. Not sure how to explain that. Just really enjoy the games I suppose.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still think World Cups are amazing, and will probably watch almost every game, but I do think they're getting worse independent of me getting old. They used to have all of the drama, romance, colour, stories etc. that they have today and high-quality attacking football.

Uppercut

Not a red if you're deemed to be "attempting to win the ball". Think the verdict that he was is defendable.
Yeah when I saw it from the original angle I just burst out laughing, but from other angles the decision looked... understandable-ish under the new rules.

vcs

I still think World Cups are amazing, and will probably watch almost every game, but I do think they're getting worse independent of me getting old. They used to have all of the drama, romance, colour, stories etc. that they have today and high-quality attacking football.
I think Euro 2008 was the best international tournament since a long time. Spain, Russia and Netherlands all played very good football in that tournament. Especially Russia. Arshavin looked amazing.

OverratedSanity

The last WC was pretty amazing tbh. Certainly the best among the ones I've seen (ie) post 94

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think many of the World Cups I've watched have contained the latter tbf.

I do find it funny the way Italia 90 is romanticised in this country, was a ****ing awful tournament.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I still love the WC more than anything. Maybe because we've only been in 3 since I was born, and missed so many of them in heartbreaking fashion while I was a kid. I dreamed about watching us play in it and until I was19 years old I didn't get to see it. I cried like a baby with the Iran defeat in 1997, I cried like a baby when we won that shootout against Uruguay. It means so much when it's not a given.
England not qualifying in 94 still stings me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still love the world cup, me. Especially the group stages when there's two or three games on every day.

Main gripe is it comes round so friggin' quickly now!! Four years ain't what it was...

There seems to be some kind of inverse correlation between how easy England have it in qualifying and how well we do in the actual tournament too. We lost 3 times in qualifying for 82 and yet topped a group including France and Czechoslovakia and exited unbeaten after goalless draws with Spain and West Germany (as was), and made it to Italia 90 behind Sweden with 3 wins and 3 draws (Terry Butcher famously shedding almost literally pints of blood in the cause) and made the semis. Nowadays we routinely piss qualifying and barely get unpacked before we come home.
Not a coincidence IMO. Was at the England game last Friday and had he same conversation with my brother.

We took 2002 and 2004 campaigns to the wire, qualifying with draws, and had (with hindsight) reasonable tournaments. Since then, we’ve either qualified with ease or not at all and our displays have been, well, ****e

flibbertyjibber

16th June they have 4 games on.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think you're right about the fact that there's so much club football on tv these days means the world cup isn't quite as special. Most Saturday/Sundays during the season I'll just sit and watch 3/4 games throughout the day, and the standard is probably higher than you'd get in most world cup games. It still has it's own appeal though, being in the summer, happening every day throughout the early stages, and being something of a novelty purely from the fact I don't watch the actual teams playing very regularly, if at all, during the four year intervals.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I don't think many of the World Cups I've watched have contained the latter tbf.

I do find it funny the way Italia 90 is romanticised in this country, was a ****ing awful tournament.
Really? Roger Milla and his Cameroonians beating the holders Argie, opening match? Gazza's tears. I think Scotland even qualified. Charlton's Irish were in also.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah but most of the games weren't exactly classics. Think our group consisted of many 1-1 draws and a mighty 1-0 win over Egypt to put us through, a 119th minute winner against a Belgium side that aren't the Belgium of today, then a panicy win over Cameroon. Ireland managed another dour draw with Romania I think before being beaten by Italy was it? Meanwhile Scotland got done over by Costa Rica IIRC.

For me it holds a special memory as it was my first tournament I can remember, and ignited my interest in the game. Also my uncle gave me a huge book about the tournament full of photo's and reports of every game, was an absolute treasure for a 7 year old boy. However as an actual football spectacle I wouldn't place it above any over year really.

As an aside, do you hold Senegals win over France in 2002 in the same light as Cameroon v Argentina in 1990? Its the same thing really, but years add extra nostalgia to things. (OK I'll accept an answer that devalues Senegals achievements because of the fact El Hadji Diouf played, but beyond that....)