• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

cpr

International Coach
However on the other side you can probably argue the following
2002 - Unlucky to be beaten by a brilliant Ronaldinho free kick, we weren't completely out of that game, though Brazil deserved the win overal
2004 - Unlucky to have a last minute winner ruled out, then Beckham slipped for his pen
2006 - Unlucky to lose Owen to injury earlier in the competition, then Beckham in that game. Rooney then got sent off meaning we had to play for pens without arguably our 3 best attacking players
2010 - Unlucky to have Lampards goal disallowed, before Germany broke our spirit after scoring soon after. Honestly think that shattered the team.

In a lot of those games there were genuine small things that could've really helped England and pushed us on. In a way its cruel because it gives England fans hope that if fortune just landed nice for us we'd do really well. False hope really, but still.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There was a lot of misfortune in some of those games, but at the end of the day, all of them could just as easily be described as England simply not being good enough to get the job done. Against Brazil they pretty much had half the match to come out and have a real go at turning the game around, but fizzled out completely. The Portugal games involved them stodging around and neither being able to see them off in normal time nor extra time. And Germany just outclassed them. Lampard could have scored a hat-trick of goals and England would still have ended up well beaten.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah fair enough, thought I'd paint a different light on it compared to my original doom and gloom one :)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah they're all fair comments. 2010 was definitely the least down to luck but they didn't really get the rub of the green in the Portugal games.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You stay classy.
What a dire post.
Oh noes! How could I?!

Yeah they're all fair comments. 2010 was definitely the least down to luck but they didn't really get the rub of the green in the Portugal games.
I thought if England got to 2-2 with the goal correctly ruled in; the tide would've changed. That German team was really talented but really young at that time.

The talent was never the issue with England IMO; but the management choices have been dire for a long time now. It's not at like club level where the quality will out in the end; you need a manager to set up well for these tournaments that are only ~7 games max. I would have liked to have seen a Hiddink or similar in charge of England: get England concentrating on their strengths and being confident in themselves. The managers England has appointed instead have been negative and largely lacked imagination - and this more or less reflected on the pitch.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wishing a heart attack on someone is a truly dreadful thing to do, regardless of what you make of them in a professional capacity.
Quit being dramatic, you know he doesn't mean it.

It's a pretty good point about their manager choices. They've all been extremely defensive since Glenn Hoddle, and even he was horribly conservative with his team selection at times. It probably doesn't account for their failures but they could probably have achieved similar results playing much better football, which might have prevented the overwhelming disillusionment that the country now feels toward the national team.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Quit being dramatic, you know he doesn't mean it.

It's a pretty good point about their manager choices. They've all been extremely defensive since Glenn Hoddle, and even he was horribly conservative with his team selection at times. It probably doesn't account for their failures but they could probably have achieved similar results playing much better football, which might have prevented the overwhelming disillusionment that the country now feels toward the national team.
It was a tasteless remark, and my reaction to it was largely motivated by similarly unedifying remarks he's made previously (in this respect, I am thinking particularly of posts RE: his attitude to women). Anyway, I shall say no more on it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I really can't make my mind up about Mina Rzouki. She is often quite insightful, but her stupid tittering laughter and the condescension she shows towards questions or points of view she thinks are no good really hack me off.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It was a tasteless remark, and my reaction to it was largely motivated by similarly unedifying remarks he's made previously (in this respect, I am thinking particularly of posts RE: his attitude to women). Anyway, I shall say no more on it.
If I made a mistake to imply I give a **** what you think I apologise. And if you're going to troll at least go for quality rather than quantity.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No idea what you Englanders are complaining about. India lost to Guam last night.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I wonder whether the widespread disillusionment is due to the non-achievement of the 'golden generation', from 2002 to 2010. Hopes really were pretty high after the 5-1 win in Munich, even more so when Rooney emerged a couple of years later, but what followed may have switched off a lot of people.

fwiw I've occasionally argued that Robson actually had better players at his disposal in 1990 than Sven did for much of his time.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think the golden generation probably gets a bit too much stick these days. The core players were really amazing, in theory. Obviously it never worked that brilliantly, but you'd have to argue that's more the fault of the coaches. 10 English players started the CL final in 2008, while England weren't in the Euros that year. The PL CL domination of 2005-2009 was also built around teams with strong English cores (to some extent) and I don't think it's merely coincidence the prem has fallen behind to Spain and Germany as it's golden generation has finished and the other two have had theirs.