• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ha Ha but seriously 'Pool have done good business this window

49 million for a largely unproven talent that cost 600,000 is brilliant stuff

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As you say, City are willing to give him it, then why should he feel bad or guilty about taking it. Utd might've been willing to give it to, but Liverpool wouldn't talk to them. If its known they are willing to give him a ridiculous salary, why should he turn around and say 'No I don't want that, offer me lower, as people are going to have a go at me for taking what you offer'

Basically he couldn't win in your eyes, unless he signed for Liverpool. Despite the fact that any one of us here would do anything for a chance to work at a much better employer for 5x the salary if they were willing to employ us, he's in the wrong for it.
Wow, you spectacularly miss the point, again.

I am not offended that he wants that much. I am saying it's clear the reason he went through all this trouble on ****ting on his own name and bringing all this crap to the club, that gave him the chance to even get this offer, is because of the money. As I told you in at least 3 posts; he could have gotten his move eventually, he didn't have to drum up all this commotion. It was clear from before the window opened that Liverpool would sell for £50m (or near it) and it was on City to meet that. I am not offended that anyone wants to make a lot of money; I question what a person will do in order to get it.

As for the 'manner he's gone about it', well I've been in a position where I've wanted to change employers - or should I say different business within the huge company (which if you're being tenuous in the links, football could be seen as one). HMRC employs 80,000 people across many businesses, and I wanted a move to one in Manchester, because I had moved back to care for a relative. Despite having damn good reason to request the move, I sat there for a year of false promises and downright lies that i naively thought were the start of the employer willing to let me move, but in fact was the employer actually sugar-coating their attitude of 'Tough **** sunshine, we have you in a contract and were enforcing it to the letter' Others were allowed to move for lesser reasons, because they were unhappy, wanted to 'develop' etc, yet I was stuck. The difference was the others stamped their feet, went above the departments head etc, whilst I sat and swallowed all the lies and false promises.

A year later and I found myself in a position where the only way to get anywhere was to be the bad guy, and stop going in. I'd learned (from a sympathetic senior no less), that every day I turned up and put my shift in, it was another day the employer added that to the 'see there's no issue as far as were concerned, as he's working fine' file. Yet I got slaughtered for what I did, as people didn't know the **** i'd swallowed with a grin for a year, and lots of people were quite willing to paint me as a petulant child throwing his toys out of the pram, because they didn't know why I wanted the move, or all the right things I'd done to that point to make the move. They said it was about the money for me, as I could get more at the same grade in one of the Manchester departments (also they knew I had huge travel costs, so saw it as me wanting to cut them). They also said its because I felt I could climb the corporate ladder better at one of the more prestigious departments in Manchester, not the backwater ones in Preston. Whilst they were added bonuses of the move, truth was I just wanted a work/life balance that worked, but no-one would accept that as the reason.

So in a way I've quite a bit of sympathy for Sterling. Yes he's not been painted in a good light, but here he is, knowing (as they came out and said it) that the club had no intention to let him move, every day he does as the club asks and turns up for training is another day the club say 'look, he's here and he's ours' as the days tick away until another transfer window shuts. The club don't have a great record for acknowledging the players wishes - When Arsenal bid enough to meet Suarez's release clause, only for the club not to honour it anyway, that will stick in players minds about how the club treats its players. So playing ball and being the model pro is not an option if Sterling really wanted to move, his only option is to not co-operate. Of course people will say stuff about him, about his motives (and he can't really help it if others do value his services more than his current employer), but sometimes you have to accept you'll be painted as a bad person just to get what you need for yourself, because no-one else gives a **** about what you need. Doesn't stop it being painful though, nor stop you wishing those bridges didn't have to be burned.
At first I thought it was a United-Liverpool thing that wouldn't let you grasp the obvious point but it seems personal? You are not a football player and your situation, nor your contract situation, reflects with what went on here. You also fail to see the opposite side. If Liverpool gave him a huge contract and he flopped, could we then **** him off to Qatar?

More to the point; Sterling is a 20 year old and in a kind of industry where just being in the squad is a huge achievement. Nevermind being played every week. He's only been a regular in the team for a year and a half. What "****" was he swallowing exactly? He became a star, an England international, and has only risen in the ranks at Liverpool. I can understand wanting to leave if you think you can do more; but let's stop painting it out as if Liverpool had him chained up between games. Absolute nonsense. Prior to the City money; there was no discontent and Sterling was never a problem. If you want to show you wanna leave, hand in a transfer request - although, you miss out on a loyalty bonus for doing that haha. It's clear what changed him and why. Sometimes you just call a duck a duck and get on with it.

Last edited:

duffer

Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin? Oh god I hate United again. Been a while since I felt that way.

social

I am not offended that he wants that much. I am saying it's clear the reason he went through all this trouble on ****ting on his own name and bringing all this crap to the club, that gave him the chance to even get this offer, is because of the money. As I told you in at least 3 posts; he could have gotten his move eventually, he didn't have to drum up all this commotion. It was clear from before the window opened that Liverpool would sell for £50m (or near it) and it was on City to meet that. I am not offended that anyone wants to make a lot of money; I question what a person will do in order to get it.

People also seem to forget that Liverpool offered him a massive contract upgrade and his manager basically **** all over them in public

Cant help but feeling that he is a naïve young man that has been horribly advised by an odious prick

Not that he will see it that way of course

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
People also seem to forget that Liverpool offered him a massive contract upgrade and his manager basically **** all over them in public

Cant help but feeling that he is a naïve young man that has been horribly advised by an odious prick

Not that he will see it that way of course
At the end of the day, he's put down the marker. He thinks he's that level of player and City think he's worth the gamble. He'll have a hell of a lot of pressure to produce immediately and his success or failure will become a media story. This whole saga hasn't made me revise my opinion of his talent; I personally think he'll go 'right to the top' - to quote 'Arry.

Found this online | Age + Wages per week:

Alaba 23 - 80k
Oscar 23 - 70k
Isco 23 - 60k
Wilshere 23 - 90k
Goetze 23 - 115k
Pogba 22 - 60k
Neymar 23 - 150k

Sterling 20 - 200k

You can kind of see why Liverpool thought 100k was a more than fair offer; but City have put him in another stratosphere.

Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin? Oh god I hate United again. Been a while since I felt that way.
Herrera, Schweini and Scheniderlin...potentially awesome midfield that.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So I take it Schneiderlin is backup?

Would probably go something like this if I were United: (4-3-3) Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Di Maria; Mata, Rooney, Depay

They could play Di Maria in the front three but they need his creativity in the midfield IMO.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So I take it Schneiderlin is backup?

Would probably go something like this if I were United: (4-3-3) Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Di Maria; Mata, Rooney, Depay

They could play Di Maria in the front three but they need his creativity in the midfield IMO.
I'd be surprised if di Maria stays. I think the plan is for carrick and schwein to share the passer role and schneid and Herrera will play a lot of games together. Interesting to see where this leaves fellaini too.

grecian

Any news from our United contingent about Sean Goss, has made the pre-season tour, and I can't bring myself to look at the likes of RedCafe or whatever.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Any news from our United contingent about Sean Goss, has made the pre-season tour, and I can't bring myself to look at the likes of RedCafe or whatever.
Yep, he's on the tour. There aren't as many of the kids on tour as I might have expected (understandably I suppose given Van Gaal has to try to bed in the new first-teamers), so it augers well for Goss that he's been included.

grecian

Yep, he's on the tour. There aren't as many of the kids on tour as I might have expected (understandably I suppose given Van Gaal has to try to bed in the new first-teamers), so it augers well for Goss that he's been included.
Interesting, these deals about yoof players, all seem rather elephantine, all depends on how long they were in the previous teams youth set-up and dozens of other factors. I think we've received 100k on signing and another when he signed his first pro contract.

I have no idea how the rest of it goes, there's definitly a sell-on clause, and I guess we'll get money on appearance for the first team, if that should ever happen (c'm the coca-cola Cup) and then grading upwards I know it can add up to a decent wedge. Who knows if he ever gets to be a regular first-team regular there may be bonuses for winning trophies.

Would I be supporting United if so:ph34r:

Obviously all pie-in-the-sky, but he is doing pretty well, with all Uniteds various sides and resources to get in the squad is an achievement of sorts.

Him, Grimes and Ampadu to be the midfield trio when we win the World-cup in 2022:D

cpr

International Coach

Haha, wow. Newsflash. Thats your opinion. It doesn't mean its correct. Your opinion is based on the fact you can't see any other reason to leave Liverpool other than money, whereas others can see plenty of reasons - The club isn't challenging for major honours, has regressed massively in the last 12 months, the manager has shown a lack of tactical nous and the club has wasted money on some right duds. Take the money out of the equation and you'll see that City are a far better club to play for - regular Champions League football, regular title challenges, world class players in the squad, but yet he'll still be a regular starter for them. I won't lie and say he'd have signed for them on the same as he earns now, but he knows he's worth more than he's on, worth more than the 100k Liverpool offered, and City are willing to chuck mega money at him.

Was it clear that Liverpool would've allowed him to move anyway? There was lots of 'He's under contract and he's staying' going on, and remember they did exactly that to Suarez for a year (even though Arsenal met the release fee in the contract)

At first I thought it was a United-Liverpool thing that wouldn't let you grasp the obvious point but it seems personal? You are not a football player and your situation, nor your contract situation, reflects with what went on here. You also fail to see the opposite side. If Liverpool gave him a huge contract and he flopped, could we then **** him off to Qatar?

More to the point; Sterling is a 20 year old and in a kind of industry where just being in the squad is a huge achievement. Nevermind being played every week. He's only been a regular in the team for a year and a half. What "****" was he swallowing exactly? He became a star, an England international, and has only risen in the ranks at Liverpool. I can understand wanting to leave if you think you can do more; but let's stop painting it out as if Liverpool had him chained up between games. Absolute nonsense. Prior to the City money; there was no discontent and Sterling was never a problem. If you want to show you wanna leave, hand in a transfer request - although, you miss out on a loyalty bonus for doing that haha. It's clear what changed him and why. Sometimes you just call a duck a duck and get on with it.
Gee, never realised i'm not a footballer, thanks. Forgot footballers don't have the same emotional reaction to being put in a horrid situation which they want to get out of. Glad I didn't have to sell out my soul to do my job.#
It quite clear I was comparing the emotive reaction to being put in a position by an employer and wanted, nay, needing to get a change for your own sake (be what it may), yet you've not bothered to read it have you....

cpr

International Coach
At the end of the day, he's put down the marker. He thinks he's that level of player and City think he's worth the gamble. He'll have a hell of a lot of pressure to produce immediately and his success or failure will become a media story. This whole saga hasn't made me revise my opinion of his talent; I personally think he'll go 'right to the top' - to quote 'Arry.

Found this online | Age + Wages per week:

Alaba 23 - 80k
Oscar 23 - 70k
Isco 23 - 60k
Wilshere 23 - 90k
Goetze 23 - 115k
Pogba 22 - 60k
Neymar 23 - 150k

Sterling 20 - 200k

You can kind of see why Liverpool thought 100k was a more than fair offer; but City have put him in another stratosphere.

Herrera, Schweini and Scheniderlin...potentially awesome midfield that.

on that, its unfair to compare wages in Germany/Spain to English, stupidly I know, but we do pay over the odds in comparison due to the money in the English game.

Still if Sterling did a comparison to his England teammates

Welbeck - 115k
Shaw - 120k
Lallana - 100k
Sturridge - one and a half decent seasons (if that), playing for the club who's just offered him 100k - 150k
Milner - seen figures quoted upto 150k for him too.

If I was Sterling I'd look at that lot and think 100k is quite low and I can get much better elsewhere, especially as I'm better than Lallana and Milner and probably even ahead of the rarely fit Sturridge.