Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2015 Rugby World Cup Thread

2015 Rugby World Cup Thread

Will England get wiped out in the pool stages in a sport they invented, like the cricket?

Can anyone stop the Kiwi Hate Machine?

Is Ireland massively overrated and looking at yet another quarterfinal exit?

(Answers: yes, no, yes).

0/3. Can do better.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Not even thinking about this yet, for some reason...

International Regular
    England will win their group (beat Aussies by 7 at least, Wales will be closer), hope anyone but Kiwi's win it. Amazing how opposite their rugby and cricket teams are in likeability.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Aus to top the group. Wales 2nd fiji 3rd England 4th after a close run thing with Uruguay.

Aus champions. RSA runners up. Nz ' shock' quarter final defeat to France
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Hope Sa beat NZ in the final
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Aus to top the group. Wales 2nd fiji 3rd England 4th after a close run thing with Uruguay.

Aus champions. RSA runners up. Nz ' shock' quarter final defeat to France
    Aus won't make it out of the group. Can't scrummage against England/Wales you're in jail. Have won one of last 5 against England teams much worse than one they will face at WC.

Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    Hope Sa beat NZ in the final
    I think the draw will make SA play NZ in the semifinal. Which, given how the cricket semifinal went, could make it the grudge match from hell.

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    England will win their group (beat Aussies by 7 at least, Wales will be closer), hope anyone but Kiwi's win it. Amazing how opposite their rugby and cricket teams are in likeability.
    Unfortunately, England's rugby team is at least equally unlikeable. In fact, I would personally view them as being much, much more unlikeable, but then I still see the England rugby team as a sign that the class struggle hasn't ended so perhaps my point of view is far from disinterested on the matter.
    kiwiviktor81 likes this.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

To be fair we're seeing a lot more working class lads coming through now.

Plus all the second generation Pacific Islanders and sons of league players/league converts.

Only really the captain is properly Hooray from the current side.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The PFA does not represent players when they have broken the law and been convicted on non-football matters."
    - Gordon Taylor in 2009 following Marlon King's release after a prison sentence for sexual assault & ABH

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Unfortunately, England's rugby team is at least equally unlikeable. In fact, I would personally view them as being much, much more unlikeable, but then I still see the England rugby team as a sign that the class struggle hasn't ended so perhaps my point of view is far from disinterested on the matter.
    Check how many of the current team are posh boys. Robshaw maybe? About it.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Aus won't make it out of the group. Can't scrummage against England/Wales you're in jail. Have won one of last 5 against England teams much worse than one they will face at WC.
    Very true. And given Wales' recent dominance of Australia (especially in the last 10 encounters) we have absolutely no chance at all.

Edit: I'm happy to put an Avatar bet on it that Australia do get out of the group if you feel that sure about it
    Last edited by ripper868; 25-03-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    That's how I see the australian team too.

Think England will win the pool, australia will scrape out of it. NZ or England to win the whole thing imo, though I don't profess to in any way be an expert on the sport.

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    To be fair we're seeing a lot more working class lads coming through now.

Plus all the second generation Pacific Islanders and sons of league players/league converts.

Only really the captain is properly Hooray from the current side.
    This is kinda true, but there are still a **** load of fans of the England side who conform to the hooray Henry stereotype and do their team a real disservice - also whilst there might be less Eton/Harrow types in the team, there's still an overwhelming feeling of upper-middle class about them (Youngs, Care, Goode, Cipriani, Wigglesworth, Easter, Haskell, Croft) - certainly the majority still come from Grammar or Private school backgrounds. Allied to this is the fact that England have criticised all-and-sundry over the years for 'poaching' of players and they're probably now the greatest exponents of the poach - even though relatively few of the poaches have really paid off.

International Regular
    Hold on we played a France team with a bloke called Scott Spedding at full back and Rory Kockott at scum half and we are the greatest exponents of the poach? Unless you are talking about League players I don't really see that. Two non English born players in our 23 in last game. Barritt/Hape/Botha only other names I can think of in last 5 years. In French team we played there were 7 players not born in France in their 23.

Yeah those guys are middle class for sure, though I wouldn't say they are massive unrepresentative. Wigglesworth's dad was a farmer, Youngs boys dad a pro rugby player,

Got a guy like Mike Brown who openly talks about being working class and coming from a council estate.

I agree its got a way to go but I think its changing. Courtney Lawes isn't from a privileged back ground, neither is Tom Wood particularly.

Fans I totally agree with though. Looking forward FAR more to the Manchester game than HQ. Hate the place and swing low is so cringe-worthy. Middle class white people (not to put to fine a point on it) singing a song made by African-American Slaves about their need for salvation. Pretty grim.
    Last edited by 91Jmay; 26-03-2015 at 03:08 PM.
    HeathDavisSpeed likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information