• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2015 Rugby World Cup Thread

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cheers. Proves your point somewhat, with 'only' five matches it's not the time to try out different 10s.

Mind as NZ can win a World Cup with Donald I suppose it won't really matter
we can with someone average there, right now some of our contenders are undercooked and would bottle it. Also remember that we won the final 8-7 and were aided by home field advantage in a very large way.

ripper868

International Coach
Give Gits a run at 10 for a test and see what happens. If he kills it, great, if he doesn't then it's no great change to normal. Foley/Cooper are the first choices and unfortunately it has to be Foley for RWC as Cooper is injured and has near zero game time - though the time he has played was excellent and gave the |reds back line immediate structure.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rooster (Drew Mitchell) nab a bench spot. An out and out speedster with a knack for the try line. With Cummins and Izzy at the back, TK at 13 and Toomua at 12 I'd be ahppy enough. Toomua subject to hair style improvements.

Long story short, Wallabies won't win this world cup, but we will ge tout of the group.

PS what is the Wales policy on 'overseas' players like Halfpenny - is he eligible even though playing with Toulon?

dermo

International Vice-Captain
That's a good point. Australia seem to play a very Southern hemisphere style of play perhaps even more so than what the ABs do or SA do. The approach seems to be to dominate up front and establish go forward at the set piece and in tight and then spin it wide.
I think Australia have a habit of absolutely destroying teams ranked 6th-10th in the world (especially in Aus) because they can establish that forward dominance. Against the better teams in the world they seem to get found out a bit and don't seem to have a plan B. Australia has two choices. Either find a better tight 5 as you have eluded to. Or find a way to win when there pack is going backwards.
I don't know which of those tasks is more realistic as to date in the history of rugby I don't recall anyone ever winning a test without at least parity up front. Which leaves finding better forwards which is your point.

I actually don't mind Australia's pack when everyone is available. I just think their depth off the bench and injury cover is a bit weak. I also think Australia is badly badly in need of a good mongrel at number 8.
I like your first choice front row more than I like the AB front row.
we will try in vain to find a quality tight 5 but it wont happen so our plan b becomes pocock vs opposition forward pack, which tbf he was very successful at doing for a few years (quarter final vs south africa in 2011) but he's not at that level right now

ben mccalman is showing signs of being a dominate 8 at super level, but then again so has palu for much of his career and international rugby is a different level

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I rate McCalman.

I was hyping him up here about 18 months ago and I think Ripper popped my balloon and told me that he always looks good at Super level but hasn't taken his chances at test level and seems to come off second best against his counterpart.

If Skelton was a bit quicker and nimble he could be a number 8. Or maybe that is a stretch. Yes I think a fanciful thought.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Give Gits a run at 10 for a test and see what happens. If he kills it, great, if he doesn't then it's no great change to normal. Foley/Cooper are the first choices and unfortunately it has to be Foley for RWC as Cooper is injured and has near zero game time - though the time he has played was excellent and gave the |reds back line immediate structure.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rooster (Drew Mitchell) nab a bench spot. An out and out speedster with a knack for the try line. With Cummins and Izzy at the back, TK at 13 and Toomua at 12 I'd be ahppy enough. Toomua subject to hair style improvements.
Beale is one of the better players on earth and needs to be at 12. He would be a intoxicatingly good if he played there regularly.

Has he kept his nose clean since the texting business.

You didn't mention AAC but I assume you will play him.

Really your backs are as good as anyone elses

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In reality there are only a few spots that are up for grabs in our starting XV, barring injury.

The front row will be Slipper, Moore and Kepu. Bench will probably be Sio and Alexander, with Paul Alo-Emile, Tetera Faulkner, Benn Robinson, Paddy Ryan, Pek Cowan and Greg Holmes competing for wider squad spots.

Lock is one of two positions which are up in the air. Simmons is favourite to take one spot, given his lineout ability and considerable experience, even if he's never really set the world on fire. Skelton would be ahead for the other spot, he has matured a lot in the last 12 months and is now putting in solid 80 minute performances for the Tahs. That said, Sam Carter, Luke Jones, Adam Coleman, Dave Dennis, James Horwill and Rory Arnold will all have a shot, as well as Lopeti Tomani who is in great form for the Rebels, but may be a touch too small.

Backrow will be Fardy, Hoopah and Palu. The form of David Pocock is the big question mark, but I expect Cheika to stick with the proven combination. Liam Gill is in great form at the moment too, as is Ben McCalman. Sean Mcmahon is an option, so is Higgers.

Phipps and Foley looking likely to be the halves, given consistent injury to Quade Cooper, who was looking pretty good in his comeback games. Quade will have a shot to establish himself pre-Cup, but I can't see it being enough time to get back to form. White and Genia will jockey for the reserve 9 slot.

Toomua and Kuridrani will be the centres, with Lealiifano covering 12 as well, and Beale floating around somewhere. TK's form this year has been a bit of a worry, but I think he's the type of player who peaks at the highest level so I'm not too concerned.

Plenty of wing options- JOC, Speight, Cummins, Tomane, AAC and Horne being the most prominent. Imagine they will all get a shot at some point. JOC's form has been underwhelming so far this year, but he's a big match player like TK. I'd start JOC and Speight, with AAC on the bench to cover wing, fullback and 13.

Folau will be fullback, end of story.

So for those keeping score:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Skelton
6. Fardy
7. Hoopah
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. JOC
12. Toomua
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Alexander
19. Carter
20. McCalman
21. Pocock
22. White
23. AAC

Is that the team that will win the World Cup? I doubt it. But if the forwards front up, that backline is good enough to put anyone to the sword.
From the silverfern.com

Thought it was a good post

ripper868

International Coach
Pretty well will be that 23 with a couple of slight changes for me -
1.Genia in for White
2.Pocock to start.
3. If fit Cooper in for Foley.
4. AAC to start instead of JOC
5. Depending on opposition 1 more back on the bench, probably for McCalman (who has improved alot again since my "can't hack internationals" comment.

I'd keep Beale out of the team. Blokes a **** and short of running into a hole offers nothing in attack and looks confused trying to create - reminds me a little of 2007-2009 Quade Cooper - trying to hard to do everything instead of just playing whats in front. but mostly because the bloke is a ****.

91Jmay

International Coach

Long story short, Wallabies won't win this world cup, but we will ge tout of the group.

PS what is the Wales policy on 'overseas' players like Halfpenny - is he eligible even though playing with Toulon?
All Wales players eligible regardless of which club they are at. Not going to turn down their best centers and world's best goal kicker.

Aussie backs are very good, tight 5 (mainly Locks although Aussie scrum is always **** especially at HQ so same old front row doesn't bode well ) is weak though.

Sam Burgess two man of the match performances at 6 in a row for Bath. His timing to breakdown is so good for a new convert, ball carrying machine obviously as well. We've got loads of good back rowers though so he will struggle to get in. Main issues for England are 12 (Manu coming back fit would solve that), Mike Brown concussion and inexperience. Nice to have moved into modern world with an attacking 10 though. George Ford could be world superstar. Magic feet.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hooper is so much better than Pocock it's not even funny.

Likewise, Genia is a million times better than both Phipps and White.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Come on Hurricane. Defense and pilfering are an openside's main role, but the modern 7 has to be able to provide go-forward ball as well. Hooper is just a much better rounded player.

As for the halfbacks, I really don't get it. Genia is superior in ever single aspect of play. He's also played reasonably well this season. It's a no-contest and frankly even if he weren't in form I'd take him before most 9s in the world, let alone Phipps and White.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Come on Hurricane. Defense and pilfering are an openside's main role, but the modern 7 has to be able to provide go-forward ball as well. Hooper is just a much better rounded player.

As for the halfbacks, I really don't get it. Genia is superior in ever single aspect of play. He's also played reasonably well this season. It's a no-contest and frankly even if he weren't in form I'd take him before most 9s in the world, let alone Phipps and White.
This post is MUCH better as it is balanced and analytical and I can sink my teeth into it. Your first effort was too broad sweeping for my liking. I will make you a very good response to your post when I get home later this evening.
Thanks Hendrix for clarifying your post :)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

2 very different players with major similarity being the number on their back

Straight choice and it would be Pocock virtually every time as we need his ability at the breakdown more than an extra runner

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
2 very different players with major similarity being the number on their back
Last night they went head to head. The Warratahs won, but I thought Pocock made more of a difference with his three turnovers. Hooper on the other hand made numerous carries and a million cover defence tackles. I think you can make a case for either of them and wouldn't question anyone based on who they preferred. I would lean towards Pocock. But I have been influenced by reading quite a few posts on this issue.

With regards to the halfbacks, Phipps was terrible last night so if that has been the form he has been in for the past few weeks then Hendrix has a good point.

I guess the things holding Genia back is that
a) he is playing for a losing team and it is hard to look good as a halfback with that issue.
b) he is being compared against his old self and right now, even if he is better than the other two, he doesn't measure up on that account. People want him to regain his old form.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last night they went head to head. The Warratahs won, but I thought Pocock made more of a difference with his three turnovers. Hooper on the other hand made numerous carries and a million cover defence tackles. I think you can make a case for either of them and wouldn't question anyone based on who they preferred. I would lean towards Pocock. But I have been influenced by reading quite a few posts on this issue.

With regards to the halfbacks, Phipps was terrible last night so if that has been the form he has been in for the past few weeks then Hendrix has a good point.

I guess the things holding Genia back is that
a) he is playing for a losing team and it is hard to look good as a halfback with that issue.
b) he is being compared against his old self and right now, even if he is better than the other two, he doesn't measure up on that account. People want him to regain his old form.
Yeah, pretty much my thinking

However, given the NH sides will undoubtedly try to starve us of possession, I would think that Pocock must play big minutes against them for his ball winning ability alone

I also think that Foley has been, at best, average

I had all but forgotten about Lealiifano but would actually prefer him (assuming Cooper is out) at 10

dermo

International Vice-Captain
the pocock/hooper debate really comes down to how you prefer your 7 to play, both just about the best in the world at their respective styles

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
the pocock/hooper debate really comes down to how you prefer your 7 to play, both just about the best in the world at their respective styles
I think when Slipper is the only world class player in your tight 5 you need a 7 who can break the advantage line every now and again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would happily play both on the flanks, myself.

Pocock 7 and Hooper at 6.

I remember the Wobblies doing a similar trick in the 03 semi when Smith and Waugh (IIRC) effectively double teamed McCaw to starve the ABs of possession.

WRT to the Oz stand off situation, Giteau must be in the shake up now. Can't be just coincidence that the ARU has ripped up their long standing policy of not picking overseas based players just before another WC.