• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2015 Rugby World Cup Thread

91Jmay

International Coach
Every international team poaches players from other countries. Part of modern world and globalisation. If they wear the shirt well and put in performances then it's all good.

George North knocked out again today, bad signs for him. Glass jaw.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was at the game.

Horrible cheap shot from Nathan Hughes; North was prone after scoring a try and he very cynically left a knee in that hit Georgeous on the back of the head. He had plenty of time to pull out or hurdle the big fella.

Looked properly bad at one stage; game was held up for ten minutes whilst treatment was administered and North didn't move at all when he was stretchered off.

No place for it in rugby or any sport for that matter. One doesn't mind a couple of chaps sorting out their differences in a reasonable square go (never to old to enjoy a good fight), but what Hughes did was cowardly and could've had very grave consequences.

North famously a son of Norfolk, whilst we're on the subject of poaches.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Couldn't disagree more about Hughes, accident. Clumsy and a yellow card but ban was shocking IMO.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Colleagues bought tix for Wales-Uruguay. £85 pro head.

I mean I know it's an event but FMD that's at least nine times what I'm willing to pay for a 70-0 drubbing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Guessing the demo at your workplace includes traditional rugby nations?

Or has Jerry got with the union program?

dogwalker

U19 Captain
I'm going to guess that this thread is about the World Cup and not whether some **** from some country slighted my country some time. How very dare they.

So, in light of that, NZ are winning it all day long. Seems kind of pointless.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to guess that this thread is about the World Cup and not whether some **** from some country slighted my country some time. How very dare they.

About 6 months ago I was quite sure that England were going to win it. However they failed to make a statement in the 6 nations and if they can't win that then it will be only be harder to win the world cup.

ripper868

International Coach
Guessing the demo at your workplace includes traditional rugby nations?

Or has Jerry got with the union program?
Jerry was only 2 wins from qualification actually. Lost to Russia who were beaten out by Romania I think. I actually know one of the guys who plays/ed for the national team and is involved in their admin on a full time basis. Big base of rugby is in Heidelberg ftr.

Australia to win the cup....

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

Like any AB fan, I tend to be nervous when the ABs head off to a World Cup overseas. We're by no means a home run... especially if we get a few key injuries in the wrong position. Plus we seem to be winning games by no more than one score and often late in the piece.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cruden rubbed out. One step closer to Stephen Donald guiding the ship to glory again.
Yeah this needs to be managed in just the right way.

The ABs now need to back a horse, preferrably Barrett and give him all the game time possible in the July tests.

The worst case scenario is that we try to give Dan Carter, Barrett, and Slade all game time which won't work as there aren't enough games to go around.

Carter is an attrocious form. Someone mentioned he may finally be given the first five gig at Cantabs for this weekend's game. He needs as many Super Rugby games as possible under his belt as possible if he hopes to even be an option off the bench. Although we all know how good he can be he is extremely rusty in all aspects of his game right now.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting and that is a big development.

I guess with Smith, do Australia need him. They have an embarassment of riches at number 7. Unless they want to ask one of those players to play out of position they can't fit them all in.

Giteau I have mixed feelings about. In his day he was absurdly good. However I would be worried about any player who has been playing in France for the past X years as most of our ex All Blacks return from that competition in worse form than than when they were in Aotearoa.

I would really like to type that Giteau should never have been dropped in the first place, but the reality is that his goal kicking deserted him. And that was causing Australia to lose games. That said I think that Australia fell into Carlos Spencer Syndrome when they spotted Cooper and overestimated what he could do in international rugby. Which they are to be forgiven for, such was his dominance and displays of individual brilliance at Super Rugby level.

I am not really sure I have made any points. I think my major response is just to say thanks for that article. Cheers.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Toomua at 12 is hardly a weak point in the side either.

whilst i think this is a good move, it will have little impact on our chances at the world cup, it's not like we have a world class tight 5 playing in europe who will now become eligible for selection

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Could someone please post the ABs schedule from here till the World Cup? I assume there's still a Four SH Nations this year?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Toomua at 12 is hardly a weak point in the side either.

whilst i think this is a good move, it will have little impact on our chances at the world cup, it's not like we have a world class tight 5 playing in europe who will now become eligible for selection
That's a good point. Australia seem to play a very Southern hemisphere style of play perhaps even more so than what the ABs do or SA do. The approach seems to be to dominate up front and establish go forward at the set piece and in tight and then spin it wide.
I think Australia have a habit of absolutely destroying teams ranked 6th-10th in the world (especially in Aus) because they can establish that forward dominance. Against the better teams in the world they seem to get found out a bit and don't seem to have a plan B. Australia has two choices. Either find a better tight 5 as you have eluded to. Or find a way to win when there pack is going backwards.
I don't know which of those tasks is more realistic as to date in the history of rugby I don't recall anyone ever winning a test without at least parity up front. Which leaves finding better forwards which is your point.

I actually don't mind Australia's pack when everyone is available. I just think their depth off the bench and injury cover is a bit weak. I also think Australia is badly badly in need of a good mongrel at number 8.
I like your first choice front row more than I like the AB front row.