• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure he'll face basically no punishment for his actions. Has always been and will always be a massive ****wit. Wouldn't have blinked if I saw him crossing the street before this all came out and let's say my mind hasn't been changed.

You sure about that? The allegations seem pretty substantial.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad to be seeing the back of this off season. I feel like the circus isn't going to end with the resumption of on field hostilities though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Glad to be seeing the back of this off season. I feel like the circus isn't going to end with the resumption of on field hostilities though.
Half of the reporters will be reporting on it less because they'll be more interested in other things, at least.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Heh. Yeah only half having an actual interest in football sounds about right.
There are definitely people who seem to have made a living being "rugby league reporters" despite not actually ever reporting on rugby league. I suspect a couple of them don't even watch it - reading their colleagues' stuff and checking the scores would be more than enough background info to do what they do (ie. report on player behaviour primarily, and the odd administrative in-fight), and every so often they write or say something that is just a massive wtf.

So we'll still have those, but people like Paul Kent only talk about player behaviour when they're bored and there's nothing else to talk about.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
There are definitely people who seem to have made a living being "rugby league reporters" despite not actually ever reporting on rugby league. I suspect a couple of them don't even watch it - reading their colleagues' stuff and checking the scores would be more than enough background info to do what they do (ie. report on player behaviour primarily, and the odd administrative in-fight), and every so often they write or say something that is just a massive wtf.

So we'll still have those, but people like Paul Kent only talk about player behaviour when they're bored and there's nothing else to talk about.
Funny. I would have had Paul Kent firmly in that category. Assuming we had "refereeing performance" in the mix ofc.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's pretty disappointing to be paid to report who for millions would be a dream job but only use it to bring the sport down. Go do something else if you hate the sport so much.

Burgey

The only reason that sells papers is because league is basically completely fueled by negativity and narkism.

Every week supporters whinge for five days out of seven about refereeing decisions. They dominate discussion every week. As though both sides don't have 80 minutes to win a game of footy. And it isn't just journos - people ring into radio stations/ bombard social media about it. Constantly. My favourite was last year when, after years of being begged by fans and experts int eh media to "Just referee the rules and do your job" the refs did just that, there were 30 penalties a game and everyone whinged it was crueling the sport - it's own rules being officiated were killing it.

The problem is the game itself. Every decision is so important because it's so stop-start and there's virtually no contest for the ball. There's as many **** decisions in AFL and soccer, but there's another contest for the ball in those sports 15-20 seconds later, so they don't count as much. As long as that's the case, there will always be bulk whinging.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem is the game itself. Every decision is so important because it's so stop-start and there's virtually no contest for the ball. There's as many **** decisions in AFL and soccer, but there's another contest for the ball in those sports 15-20 seconds later, so they don't count as much. As long as that's the case, there will always be bulk whinging.
I don't think the lack of a contest for the ball is the issue. I think the problem is that penalties are too punishing/rewarding as well as being too variable as a reward. 6 tackles + KFT is either a crazy momentum swing (in a game that's all about momentum) if given late in a set in the middle of the field or barely worth the break in play if given on tackle 1 in the corner of the field. Then there's the frequency with which they're called to make them. It's little wonder they get regularly accused of "managing" games.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't think there's any appetite for different types of penalties or anything like removing the count reset on a penalty, but the failure of the "crackdown" shows the rules around infringements are pretty broken.

Yes it's the reporters faults that players are consistently punching their wives.
They don't always have fodder this rank though.

morgieb

Last minute ladder thoughts anyone?

1. Sydney Roosters
2. South Sydney
3. Melbourne
4. St George Illawarra
5. Penrith
6. Newcastle
7. North Queensland
8. Brisbane

9. Wests Tigers
10. Cronulla
11. Gold Coast
12. Warriors
13. Canberra
14. Manly
15. Parramatta
16. Canterbury

A few controversial ones that I'll expand on. Cronulla do have a good list on paper but I'm worried that with Flanagan gone Morris won't be able to keep their (IMO) toxic influences at bay. Just seems like the sort of side that could implode hard. Whereas Brisbane have problems with forward line experience and their spine. Warriors look worrying sans Johnson too and there doesn't really seem to be that middle third gun that can dominate matches.

On the flipside, I think Newcastle's side looks genuinely gun (though swapping Watson and Ponga around seems a strange move and could take a while to adapt) and North Queensland's side looks really good for someone who was so **** last year.

I'll be surprised if any of my Top 3 fall out of the Top 4 and I don't think much of the Bottom 3, but the other positions could finish anywhere. As always.

Burgey

Can't believe you've put this season's permiers at 15th.

Then again, I wasn't even aware the footy was starting this weekend until today.

Burgey

I don't think the lack of a contest for the ball is the issue. I think the problem is that penalties are too punishing/rewarding as well as being too variable as a reward. 6 tackles + KFT is either a crazy momentum swing (in a game that's all about momentum) if given late in a set in the middle of the field or barely worth the break in play if given on tackle 1 in the corner of the field. Then there's the frequency with which they're called to make them. It's little wonder they get regularly accused of "managing" games.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't think there's any appetite for different types of penalties or anything like removing the count reset on a penalty, but the failure of the "crackdown" shows the rules around infringements are pretty broken.
I think the impact on the momentum of the game would be somewhat nullified if they went back to open slather on stripping the ball in the tackle. But I don't know if that would in turn ruin a lot of the spectacle and encourage even more conservative play. Otherwise, I dunno what the answer is either, but the game is so formulaic these days that I admit I find it an almost overwhelming surprise when some ad lib footy gets played and blokes play what's in front of them.

I did like that Nines rule they had a few years ago of the free play from an error. I reckon they should bring that into the NRL asap.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
It's another really tough season to predict.

Not sure about your top 4. Roosters the clear favorites, but I think you've got the others too high. Dragons have a good pack, but I don't see Mary getting the most out of what I can only describe as a weird spine. Norman is a bizarre signing that forces them to move their best player from his best position. Souths might be thereabouts but second seems a bit steep. I want to believe that this will be the year Melbourne fall, but they're a damn roach of a team tbf. The bastards just refuse to die.

Newcastle look genuinely threatening and the Titans pack looks the best it has in years. Reckon both will feature. Cronulla have enough talent to at least threaten.

Not that confident on us. Lots of fans thinking we were premiership quality being held back by a garbage coach but I'm not so sure. The scandal is certainly a really poor start too.

I'll go with:

1. Roosters
2. Knights
3. Sharks
4. Panthers
5. Titans
6. Souths
7. Broncos
8. Storm
9. Cows
10. Dragons
11. Raiders
12. Eels
13. Warriors
14. Dogs
15. Tigers
16. Manly

Burgey

Manly has never got the wooden spoon. Genuinely hoping you're right this year.

About the only exciting thing from our POV is seeing how the young kids go in the spine. Can see Arthur being rissoled after 5-6 weeks if it's pear shaped, as it very likely will be.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Manly has never got the wooden spoon. Genuinely hoping you're right this year.

About the only exciting thing from our POV is seeing how the young kids go in the spine. Can see Arthur being rissoled after 5-6 weeks if it's pear shaped, as it very likely will be.
The spoon's generally about injuries and attitude for mine. The Tigers have **** all depth which makes them vulnerable, but for all the Dogs lack of quality, Pay had them giving a **** last year. They'll keep their head above water. Hasler is a bit of a wildcard. Could get them fired up, but I see that place being pretty toxic behind the scenes. If I had to bet on a train wreck season it'd be on them.

I don't see Parra featuring unless they manage to clone Gutherson 16 times. Reckon you'll stay out of the cellar though.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Sivo is a beast btw. Shame we couldn't give him a regular gig. Reckon he'll go well for you.

Burgey

Hope so.

I think our fall from grace last year really demonstrated the importance of having wingers who get your sets off to a good start, especially when you have a smallish forward pack. Can't recall a side missing a winger as much as Parra did Radradra last year since Warren Boland retired at Wests in the 80s.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
I am not convinced the Warriors will miss Johnson as much as many are predicting.

IIRC, the Warriors two best performances last year when they knocked over the Dragons and the Roosters was when Johnson was out injured. I think the club is on an upward curve in a general sense, though you never really know haha.

...They also appear to have a very generous first few games to get themselves going.

Last edited: