• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alvaro hasn't been worse than most of the premier props in the competition to be honest for his part, seems to make plenty of post-contact metres when I watch. But then you look at the run metre stats for the game and I'm always surprised Gower or someone has more.

Have to admit, I've only really been getting into rugby league for the last few years. But it's rather unseemly how the same teams always get the Nine coverage, the Rabbitohs, Roosters, Broncos and Cowboys, maybe even the Eels to a degree usually. Whereas noticeably the Raiders, Warriors and Titans (not that bad a thing) get squat. Meanwhile you've got to watch Darius Boyd **** up every weekend. Has it been this way for a long time?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
It used to be worse. The draw used to be 100% set by the networks, with 9 choosing the first 2 games (double header Friday), Fox choosing the 3rd (Monday night), 9 getting the 4th (Sunday afternoon) and Fox getting the remainder. 9 snapped up the Broncos and another notionally high drawing Sydney game for the Friday games, the first Fox pick would generally be the Monday game, then the 4th through 8th "best" games of the round would be the ones scheduled for Saturday/Sunday afternoons aka the good times for live footy. To make matters worse the draw was only fixed 8 (or was it 6?) weeks in advance so you couldn't properly plan which games you were going to attend. And people then wondered why crowds were low.

I think the NRL now has some (or all) input into the draw but the old system hasn't really changed because most of the money comes from TV. The Broncos on Thursday/Friday isn't going anywhere and that won't change until we get a second Brisbane team. Got rid of Monday night, but the early game on Friday is no better (worse for both TV and fans if anything). The draw being set at the start of the year is massive and though it has it's own problems, I do like the condensed Origin period and the standalone rep round.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hoping to catch the Tonga-Samoa test over the weekend. Those blokes absolutely Belt the crap out of each other.

Gnske

I like that the Pacific Tests probably had a bigger crowd than what Allianz has had for the entire NRL season combined.

stephen

It used to be worse. The draw used to be 100% set by the networks, with 9 choosing the first 2 games (double header Friday), Fox choosing the 3rd (Monday night), 9 getting the 4th (Sunday afternoon) and Fox getting the remainder. 9 snapped up the Broncos and another notionally high drawing Sydney game for the Friday games, the first Fox pick would generally be the Monday game, then the 4th through 8th "best" games of the round would be the ones scheduled for Saturday/Sunday afternoons aka the good times for live footy. To make matters worse the draw was only fixed 8 (or was it 6?) weeks in advance so you couldn't properly plan which games you were going to attend. And people then wondered why crowds were low.

I think the NRL now has some (or all) input into the draw but the old system hasn't really changed because most of the money comes from TV. The Broncos on Thursday/Friday isn't going anywhere and that won't change until we get a second Brisbane team. Got rid of Monday night, but the early game on Friday is no better (worse for both TV and fans if anything). The draw being set at the start of the year is massive and though it has it's own problems, I do like the condensed Origin period and the standalone rep round.
Second Brisbane team will use Suncorp stadium on the alternate week, so it'll likely be a Friday night affair as well.

stephen

Scheduling the Origin on a Sunday night was the worst call. No office banter in the leadup and I can pretend I forgot I watched it if I run into a Blues fan tomorrow.

Burgey

TV ratings apparently down quite a bit compared with the usual Wednesday night. Be interesting to see what Channel Nine want to do with it from here, but I think having a dedicated rep round is actually pretty awesome. maybe origin on Saturday night, or even Sunday arvo.

social

Either of those 2 options are far more family friendly

Personally prefer afternoon games as GFs were awesome at that time and better for players as well as less hanging around

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Really hope they keep it. Far less disruption to the NRL this way.

How cool was it seeing 20k show up for the Denver test.

Burgey

Definitely reckon the rep round will be kept. Lots of interest in the Pac Island tests plus the Denver turn out was incredible really. Clubs will have a whinge when players get injured, but it can happen any time.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
That has to be one of the most putrid performances I've seen us put in post-Elliott. Manly being only marginally less putrid kept the scoreboard relatively close, but most teams would have put 40+ on us today. Even taking injuries into account that was really disappointing.

Can't believe we're the same team that flogged St George just a few weeks ago.

Burgey

Have your blokes got the wobbles or is it just a glitch in the matrix going on?

A lot of the footy over the weekend was rubbish tbh. Not a lot of quality games at all.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Have your blokes got the wobbles or is it just a glitch in the matrix going on?

A lot of the footy over the weekend was rubbish tbh. Not a lot of quality games at all.
We're going through a very rough patch. Combination of Origin and injuries have weakened our spine, our back three have looked worse than reserve grade standard for a few weeks and even our pack is starting to break down. Too many troops out, but we're missing Wallace in particular. The experience factor is part of it, but Katoa looked dynamite when coming on later in the game after Wal had soaked up the most intense part of the game. Without him Katoa looks slow and is having to do far more defensive work. May will almost certainly get a run which is about the only thing to look forward too. Really good player and should be there over Egan.

We have two extremely tough games coming up (Warriors, Sharks) and I'd be amazed if we win either of them. We get a fair few players back in the weeks afterwards, so it's possible that we get troops back and make a late surge into the top 4 and from there who knows. Still feels like the footy gods aren't going to let us win it this year.

Burgey

Have you got the Warriors over there or at home? They've been very good this year but I wouldn't back them with you money, let alone mine, based on the way hey've been for years.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Have you got the Warriors over there or at home? They've been very good this year but I wouldn't back them with you money, let alone mine, based on the way hey've been for years.
We're at home.

I don't think they'll win the whole thing, but they're definitely a different proposition to previous years. Harris and Green are exactly the kind of players they were lacking and Luke looks like his 2014 vintage. I think we'd have them covered at full strength, but we're in for a flogging if we don't play far better than we did on Saturday.