• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Aye, not sure I'd make the argument myself but just on consistency alone he has to be up there. No player in my living memory has ever showed up and played at such a high level every single week. Never misses time either. LeBron-like in that respect.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
didn't show up and play at a high level in the 08 grand final iirc
It's all in good lels, but this is actually one of the best counters to the (imo) best argument against Smith being the GOAT or close to it. He played in a team that was built on illegal foundations, alongside two of the other 4 top 5 players of his generation and looked better because his teammates took some of the opposition focus. A dude like Johns didn't have that luxury.

Aside from the fact that you have that very obvious example of what Melbourne of the late 00s looked like without him, the amount of players that looked better/worse when they joined/left the Melbourne pack is staggering. Blair is the obvious example, but dudes like Proctor, Manu, Hoffman, Norrie, Finucane etc all looked by far their best when Smith was getting them rolling and soaking 40+ tackles a game. Every game (as DCYE said).

Dudes a filthy cheating **** ofc, but I don't think that should disqualify him from GOAT discussions.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree. Just as it doesn't disqualify McCaw from the same discussion in Rah Rah.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit odd for him to do it a day or so after he got sentenced for tearing Kevin Proctor a new anus. And only a few weeks before Origin.

Hope McCullough gets selected to replace him. Who becomes goalkicker though?

Gnske

Slater won't get shafted again after last year's fiasco. Hope Ponga ends up the utility instead of Morgan though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Val Holmes is the favourite for goal kicker. I want Ponga in the 17 but it does get tough as I actually believe Michael Morgan should be there. The one player I wouldn't select is Boyd, he just doesn't run hard enough at this point in his career.

1 B Slater
2 V Holmes
3 W Chambers
4 G Inglis (c)
5 D Gagai

6 C Munster
7 M Morgan

8 M Scott
9 A McCullough
10 D Napa
11 F Kaufusi
12 G Cooper
13 J Papalii

14 K Ponga
15 J Arrow
16 C Hess
17 J Wallace

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I didn't really want to pick Arrow at this stage in his career but there aren't that many big guys available with Gillett, McGuire, Glasby all injured. I guess Guerra is an option and Ofahengaue has improved so he could be an option. Just no Thaiday please.

EDIT - Glasby actually is fit, he gets a bench spot for my team.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd give Hunt a shot tbh. He's been really good this year, albeit behind a winning pack. Ponga and Morgan duke it out for the 14 imo.

It's a shame Ash Taylor can't tackle.

Gnske

I didn't really want to pick Arrow at this stage in his career but there aren't that many big guys available with Gillett, McGuire, Glasby all injured. I guess Guerra is an option and Ofahengaue has improved so he could be an option. Just no Thaiday please.

EDIT - Glasby actually is fit, he gets a bench spot for my team.
Just need props who make post-contact metres. It's the one area I've noticed consistently in recent years where NSW have had a huge edge despite the end results.

Meanwhile, Gus was basically saying Freddy's NSW side is going to be so amazingly ballsy that every person south of Tweed is going to **** their pants. If I had to guess conservatively...

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Mitchell
4. T. Trbojevic
5. Ferguson
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. J. Trbojevic
9. Cook
10. Cordner
11. Vaughan
12. Jackson
13. Frizell

14. Graham
15. Campbell-Gillard
16. Keary (Might even get in for Maloney anyway)
17. Klemmer

Just don't pick Woods for god's sake. Also would prefer to see T. Trbo at fullback for the combo with his brother at lock.

Gnske

As for Morgan, I'm almost tempted to say go with the loyalty meme since it somehow keeps working and given how we got our just desserts after the Slater debacle.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Really hope Jackson doesn't get a spot (he will). Classic example of a solid, underrated player suddenly becoming massively overrated because a commentator has a hard on for him. Don't mind Graham generally but he's not going to get much game time before Origin (is he even going to be available?) and he's not been good enough to just waltz back into the squad.

Roberts must be a bigger **** than any of us realise for him to be omitted when noted ****, dick hands Ferguson gets a spot. Roberts is a terrifying guy to defend against.

I'd go with:

1. Tedesco
2. Addo Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Roberts
5. T. Treb
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook (love this guy)
10. Vaughan
11. Cordner
12. Frizell
13. De Bellin

14. Peachey
15. RCG
16. J Treb
17. T Sims

Reckon Cook can play 80, but if they're worried I'd swap Peachey for McInnes. Chose Peachey as he covers more positions. Not sure if Fifita is even eligible, but he'd be close if he was.

Players who I fear will be picked because we're NSW: Moses, Woods and Jackson and one of the Morris boys as a smokey.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really wouldn't pick Tom T. Reckon he's massively over rated.

Heard Sterlo on the weekend rating Penrith as the best pack in the game. Hard to disagree with him.

N00fers, I'm interested in your picking McCullough over Jake Friend. Is it because the former plays similarly to Smith in defence re the tackles he makes? I'd have thought Friend offers more in attack tbh.

Spare a thought for Laurie Daley in all this. Resigns as NSW coach only for the three most important players in the QLD dynasty to call it a day the next season.