Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree310Likes

Thread: Offical Rugby League Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Yeah, just saw that confirmed....and yeah I suppose the Storm connection means it's not really neutral. How hard is this going to be for NSW now?
    It's basically impossible to come back at this stage. Queensland seem to have lost it at Origin level though, they've been pretty meh for about 3 years now.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

"It's not Mitchell Pearce"

"And to prove it, we'll pick him for the 14th time, and show you that he won't have his 12th loss"

"And if we lose again, we'll stick fat and dig our heels in even more"
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    As someone who has watched zero of the NRL this year, who would you pick instead of Pearce? I keep reading articles about him and how **** he is, all without offering a solution - who is the soluntion?
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Parmi

Would it not have been prudent to let the incumbents have at least one crack, seeing as though they were the successful pairing last year?

People put too much stock in 'form'.

Rugby League is not like cricket - your form is dependent to an extent on how your team is going
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

International Vice-Captain dermo's Avatar
    pearce is quite clearly the best half nsw have, thought he was one of the blues best on wednesday to
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Dean Jones was my favourite player.

Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    pearce is quite clearly the best half nsw have, thought he was one of the blues best on wednesday to
    Oh hey someone with a brain.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Yep automatic pick
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

People act like NSW have plenty of options but really, Reynolds didn't play even a half-decent game until after he wasn't picked for Game 1, our best/2nd-best HB (Reynolds) has been plagued by injury all year (which has shown Keary up as not ready for the big time), Austin (who couldn't kick his way out of a wet paper bag) and then we have a bunch of halves who couldn't tackle me 1 on 1, let alone Sam Thaiaday (Soward, Moloney et al.). Pearce isn't the best player in the world or anything but he has a good kicking game, can actually defend quite well and is 2nd or 3rd in try assists this season. Who else are we gonna pick really?

Personally I think Trent Hodkinson is a rubbish player and shouldn't be there but I understand our options are pretty damn limited. In an ideal world I'd probably pick Pearce and Reynolds, Carney would be another I'd consider but yeah. It's not like we're lucky enough to have gone from Locky to Thurston to Cronk to Cherry-Evans and whoever else is next. Hell you even had Scott Prince just chilling out watching a bunch of games and he was probably better than anyone we've had in years. We haven't had an elite half since Fittler and Johns, that was a decade and change ago now.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

Though the process was absolutely terrible, I am glad DCE is staying at Manly

He's Manly to the core, and I love seeing players stay at the club that gave them their first chance

The NRL not only needs to scrap the Round 13 deadline, but more broadly should move to make it much more difficult for players to move between clubs

Total free agency, especially when guys sign pre-season or midseason, just leaves you cold
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Though the process was absolutely terrible, I am glad DCE is staying at Manly

He's Manly to the core, and I love seeing players stay at the club that gave them their first chance

The NRL not only needs to scrap the Round 13 deadline, but more broadly should move to make it much more difficult for players to move between clubs

Total free agency, especially when guys sign pre-season or midseason, just leaves you cold
    Well from next season onwards the Rd 13 deadline will be replaced by a ten-day cooling off period.....which at least avoids farces like the DCE thing.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Free Agency should be restricted to the off-season, or to a month-long period from say November 1st - December 1st, like it is in almost every other sport. I get that players want to sort their futures out as early as possible, but I can't really see it benefiting anyone allowing players to sign contracts throughout the season. It affects players, teams and coaches almost always negatively, and takes attention away from the actual game.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    People act like NSW have plenty of options but really, Reynolds didn't play even a half-decent game until after he wasn't picked for Game 1, our best/2nd-best HB (Reynolds) has been plagued by injury all year (which has shown Keary up as not ready for the big time), Austin (who couldn't kick his way out of a wet paper bag) and then we have a bunch of halves who couldn't tackle me 1 on 1, let alone Sam Thaiaday (Soward, Moloney et al.). Pearce isn't the best player in the world or anything but he has a good kicking game, can actually defend quite well and is 2nd or 3rd in try assists this season. Who else are we gonna pick really?

Personally I think Trent Hodkinson is a rubbish player and shouldn't be there but I understand our options are pretty damn limited. In an ideal world I'd probably pick Pearce and Reynolds, Carney would be another I'd consider but yeah. It's not like we're lucky enough to have gone from Locky to Thurston to Cronk to Cherry-Evans and whoever else is next. Hell you even had Scott Prince just chilling out watching a bunch of games and he was probably better than anyone we've had in years. We haven't had an elite half since Fittler and Johns, that was a decade and change ago now.
    agree with all this though i'd probably pick mullen before i'd pick reynolds

brooks, moses, bird and keary will all become very good players in a few years but none of them are close to ready yet.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

and the way cherry-evans and his management team have used the titans as a pawn to lift his value with manly makes me sick, what an absolute ****.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Any system where as soon as he signs, there is talk about whether or not he will actually follow through on that, is ridiculous.

Ten day cooling off period makes a lot more sense, if you are announcing mid year movement.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Manly have come across as being incredibly desperate

Not only have they bet a huge chunk of their salary cap on DCE but they have also had to punt other players to do so

IF they were competitive this year and IF DCE was an Inglis or Thurston, I might see the point but neither is the case

Appears as if the Orr brothers have done a complete number on them and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having buyer's remorse
    Last edited by social; 04-06-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information