cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Offical Rugby League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The problem is the game itself. Every decision is so important because it's so stop-start and there's virtually no contest for the ball. There's as many **** decisions in AFL and soccer, but there's another contest for the ball in those sports 15-20 seconds later, so they don't count as much. As long as that's the case, there will always be bulk whinging.
    I don't think the lack of a contest for the ball is the issue. I think the problem is that penalties are too punishing/rewarding as well as being too variable as a reward. 6 tackles + KFT is either a crazy momentum swing (in a game that's all about momentum) if given late in a set in the middle of the field or barely worth the break in play if given on tackle 1 in the corner of the field. Then there's the frequency with which they're called to make them. It's little wonder they get regularly accused of "managing" games.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't think there's any appetite for different types of penalties or anything like removing the count reset on a penalty, but the failure of the "crackdown" shows the rules around infringements are pretty broken.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Yes it's the reporters faults that players are consistently punching their wives.
    They don't always have fodder this rank though.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Last minute ladder thoughts anyone?

1. Sydney Roosters
    2. South Sydney
    3. Melbourne
    4. St George Illawarra
    5. Penrith
    6. Newcastle
    7. North Queensland
    8. Brisbane

9. Wests Tigers
    10. Cronulla
    11. Gold Coast
    12. Warriors
    13. Canberra
    14. Manly
    15. Parramatta
    16. Canterbury

A few controversial ones that I'll expand on. Cronulla do have a good list on paper but I'm worried that with Flanagan gone Morris won't be able to keep their (IMO) toxic influences at bay. Just seems like the sort of side that could implode hard. Whereas Brisbane have problems with forward line experience and their spine. Warriors look worrying sans Johnson too and there doesn't really seem to be that middle third gun that can dominate matches.

On the flipside, I think Newcastle's side looks genuinely gun (though swapping Watson and Ponga around seems a strange move and could take a while to adapt) and North Queensland's side looks really good for someone who was so **** last year.

I'll be surprised if any of my Top 3 fall out of the Top 4 and I don't think much of the Bottom 3, but the other positions could finish anywhere. As always.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Can't believe you've put this season's permiers at 15th.

Then again, I wasn't even aware the footy was starting this weekend until today.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I don't think the lack of a contest for the ball is the issue. I think the problem is that penalties are too punishing/rewarding as well as being too variable as a reward. 6 tackles + KFT is either a crazy momentum swing (in a game that's all about momentum) if given late in a set in the middle of the field or barely worth the break in play if given on tackle 1 in the corner of the field. Then there's the frequency with which they're called to make them. It's little wonder they get regularly accused of "managing" games.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't think there's any appetite for different types of penalties or anything like removing the count reset on a penalty, but the failure of the "crackdown" shows the rules around infringements are pretty broken.
    I think the impact on the momentum of the game would be somewhat nullified if they went back to open slather on stripping the ball in the tackle. But I don't know if that would in turn ruin a lot of the spectacle and encourage even more conservative play. Otherwise, I dunno what the answer is either, but the game is so formulaic these days that I admit I find it an almost overwhelming surprise when some ad lib footy gets played and blokes play what's in front of them.

I did like that Nines rule they had a few years ago of the free play from an error. I reckon they should bring that into the NRL asap.

It's another really tough season to predict.

Not sure about your top 4. Roosters the clear favorites, but I think you've got the others too high. Dragons have a good pack, but I don't see Mary getting the most out of what I can only describe as a weird spine. Norman is a bizarre signing that forces them to move their best player from his best position. Souths might be thereabouts but second seems a bit steep. I want to believe that this will be the year Melbourne fall, but they're a damn roach of a team tbf. The bastards just refuse to die.

Newcastle look genuinely threatening and the Titans pack looks the best it has in years. Reckon both will feature. Cronulla have enough talent to at least threaten.

Not that confident on us. Lots of fans thinking we were premiership quality being held back by a garbage coach but I'm not so sure. The scandal is certainly a really poor start too.

I'll go with:

1. Roosters
    2. Knights
    3. Sharks
    4. Panthers
    5. Titans
    6. Souths
    7. Broncos
    8. Storm
    9. Cows
    10. Dragons
    11. Raiders
    12. Eels
    13. Warriors
    14. Dogs
    15. Tigers
    16. Manly

Manly has never got the wooden spoon. Genuinely hoping you're right this year.

About the only exciting thing from our POV is seeing how the young kids go in the spine. Can see Arthur being rissoled after 5-6 weeks if it's pear shaped, as it very likely will be.

Manly has never got the wooden spoon. Genuinely hoping you're right this year.

About the only exciting thing from our POV is seeing how the young kids go in the spine. Can see Arthur being rissoled after 5-6 weeks if it's pear shaped, as it very likely will be.
    The spoon's generally about injuries and attitude for mine. The Tigers have **** all depth which makes them vulnerable, but for all the Dogs lack of quality, Pay had them giving a **** last year. They'll keep their head above water. Hasler is a bit of a wildcard. Could get them fired up, but I see that place being pretty toxic behind the scenes. If I had to bet on a train wreck season it'd be on them.

I don't see Parra featuring unless they manage to clone Gutherson 16 times. Reckon you'll stay out of the cellar though.

Sivo is a beast btw. Shame we couldn't give him a regular gig. Reckon he'll go well for you.

Hope so.

I think our fall from grace last year really demonstrated the importance of having wingers who get your sets off to a good start, especially when you have a smallish forward pack. Can't recall a side missing a winger as much as Parra did Radradra last year since Warren Boland retired at Wests in the 80s.
    Ausage and Hicheal Michael like this.

I am not convinced the Warriors will miss Johnson as much as many are predicting.

IIRC, the Warriors two best performances last year when they knocked over the Dragons and the Roosters was when Johnson was out injured. I think the club is on an upward curve in a general sense, though you never really know haha.

...They also appear to have a very generous first few games to get themselves going.
    Last edited by Hicheal Michael; 15-03-2019 at 03:08 AM.

Hope so.

I think our fall from grace last year really demonstrated the importance of having wingers who get your sets off to a good start, especially when you have a smallish forward pack. Can't recall a side missing a winger as much as Parra did Radradra last year since Warren Boland retired at Wests in the 80s.
    Radradra was electrifying to watch. It is a shame he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicheal Michael View Post
    I am not convinced the Warriors will miss Johnson as much as many are predicting.

IIRC, the Warriors two best performances last year when they knocked over the Dragons and the Roosters was when Johnson was out injured. I think the club is on an upward curve in a general sense, though you never really know haha.

...They also appear to have a very generous first few games to get themselves going.
    I'd agree if they had a plan for replacing him. Keighran has promise but was clearly a plan B and Green isn't a guy that'll carry a team on his own.

Who knows though. Could just as easily see it clicking for them.

Jeez the bulldogs look terrible. Tough ask against Nz over there, but they’ve really showed very little here. Klemmer being keenly missed up the guts.

So good to see.

Yeah didn't watch the game but it looks like Keighran played well. Hichael might be on to something.

My belief that the Warriors would not really miss Johnson actually had little to do with Keighran, who i had actually seen little of prior to his debut. Signing Johnson to a 1M dollar deal was a poor move imo and was never going to work with a club who has to pay above market value for most of it's players anyway.

Keighran looked solid though, very much played 2nd fiddle to Green whose kicking game was excellent. I was amazed at the number of media personal who tipped the Warriors to win the spoon. Having Alex Corvo on your books almost ensures a top 10 finish at worst.

Hoping for a big year for the team.

Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread Information