• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I Can Bowl Accurately In Nets Or Centre Wicket Training But Not In Games

Ted Sheppard

Cricket Spectator
Hi,
first of all, I am thirteen and I play on AstroTurf in club matches and turf in rep matches. This season, I have been bowling accurate in the nets and on centre wicket training. But when it comes to games I just can't land it in the right spot, and particularly have an issue with line more so than legnth. I have an inbetween action (sort of front on and sort of side on), and am a right arm out swing bowler. I can only bowl out swing too, and have a bit of trouble controlling swing but that isn't my main problem. My right leg is parallel to the crease whilst my left leg is pointing towards third man (to a right hander), similar to james Anderson. Both my right and left arm come up at the same time when in my action, and I have been told I just possibly a bit too high. I have sleeping problems before some games, I think it is due to being nervous. I get really nervous when I am about to bowl. When I run in it feels like I am not running in as fast as I do in a game, even though I think I am. It also feels like I jump higher, though no one notices that. Even when I am warming up beside the pitch I am pretty accurate, and then I bowl either wide of off or down leg side. Everyone is in my ear, all my coaches and the parents telling my to bowl top of off, but that's what I am trying to do. I am particularly nervous on turf and bowl more inaccurate on turf. Can anyone help me, I really want to get better. Is there any drills I can do to stop me being nervous?
Thanks
Ted